Mountaineering Frog ID and a site tip for SoCal

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Obviously he’s a mountaineering frog, but does anyone know who this guy is? He’s about as wide as a dime and about 1 ½” tall. I found him behind the Arlington Library in Riverside. He was down about 5” including the scrap. They’ve got a great demo going on over there. When I released him from his tomb there where two tabs on him (just like the one you can see) and one was bent. When I tried to straighten it out it broke off. I f you look closely you can see the spot where it broke off.

HH

Attachments

• Frog Front.JPG
    Frog Front.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 287
OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Man you are fast too. Thanks, seeing where I found that makes sence.

Thanks again.

HH

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Not sure on the bookmark part tho...Now I noticed that little tab on the bottom....like it could stand on a shelf ledge....But I really like it ....is it heavy? Metal?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Hi gypsyheart.

Its metal, the body will bend. The base and tabs are sort of stiff. I want to say the metal acts like lead, but if it was lead, it wouldn’t have bent. When I look at the exposed metal where tab broke off, it looks like the kind of metal kid’s rings are made from (pot-metal maybe). He is only about a 32nd" thick but the base is about 1/8" thick. It looks like he was painted gold when he was lost.

Back in the olden days I think I use to see cake ornaments such as this.

Thanks for the nice words.

HH

Upvote 0

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to me like it's the frog/toad from the "Frog and Toad" series by Arnold Lobel. Of course, I don't know anything about Wind in the Willows so it may be from that. As far as what it is...no idea. Could be a bookmark if not for those little tabs... ???

Upvote 0

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
"Frog and Toad" I haven't thought of them since I was a kid. It definitely looks like Frog, I not familiar with Wind in the willows either.

kenb

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread