mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry,I wasn't able to get a picture of it but i can describe it accurately.Approximate size of a u.s. half-dollar.Dated 1815.Looks like tarnished silver.On one side is a crown over a shield with the words "Piece de 5 Frances" There is a 'A' to the right of the year. 0n the other side is a portrait facing left with the words"Louis XV111E01 De France".The edge of the coin is not reeded and says "Salvum Fac Oregem Domine".Coin probably grades VG-F. Anyone know what this coin is and possibly know it's value? Sorry for lack of picture. Thanks.MM2

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
It's a 5 Francs piece, struck at the Paris Mint ("A") in 1815, during the reign of King Louis XVIII. It's 90% silver and worth $50 or more in Fine condition.

Louis XVIII ruled from 1814 to 1824; however, Napoleon briefly retook control of France in 1815, and so there are also 1815 5 Francs pieces bearing his image.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly on that. Interesting bit of history. I'll pass the information on to the coin's owner. Thanks.MM2

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to add that the owner found it behind the wall of an old apartment building that was being cleaned out in NYC.

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Interesting!

By the way, the Latin motto on the coin should read, Domine Salvum Fac Regem— "God save the king."

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes,that's it.I put the o in by accident.Mis-read my sloppy handwriting. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions