Move Over Odyssey

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.revistatenea.es/RevistaAtenea/REVISTA/articulos/GestionNoticias_428_ESP.asp
The Minister of Culture and Defence have given the go ahead for the Spanish navy to map all off Spain's territorial waters, creating a map with location's of colonial shipwrecks.
It is estimated that 100,000 million euros in gold and silver lay in Spanish waters around Spain( this is Spain's current deficit )
Officials estimate about 2,000 ton's of sunken gold, from manifest's which are kept at Spain's historical Archives, they expect to find more as it was common for contraban to be transported as well as personal luxury items.

The Spanish Navy will map and locate all shipwrecks. The reason for using the Spanish navy has a dual benefit, they have the lastest technology with a state of the art mine sweeper and ROV and secondly they offer the highest security to any site from treasure hunters.

5 years to complete a map of all shipwrecks in Spanish waters, all sites will be protected from
illegal treasure hunters.
Odyssey has been the wake up call Spain needed for it's slack controll of it's underwater heritage ! Spain will not be caught sleeping on the job again !!
Ossy

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4theMoney said:
So... Is it really about cultural heritage.......or Spains deficit?
Probably both, look at the price of gold. One thing 4themoney it will help many in Spain not just one company with a CEO.
Ossy

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
Spain should be forced to (at the Very least) share that treasure with the descendents of the people it was stolen from, the indigenous South American Indians. Of course, that will never happen.

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kevino1960 said:
Spain should be forced to (at the Very least) share that treasure with the descendents of the people it was stolen from, the indigenous South American Indians. Of course, that will never happen.
Maybe you should start in your own country first, and show the Spanish how the US does it.
:sign13: you can start by giving California back to Mexico just for starters, Let me know how you go.
Cheers, Ossy

4theMoney

Nov 1, 2008
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
kevino1960 said:
Maybe you should start in your own country first, and show the Spanish how the US does it.
:sign13: you can start by giving California back to Mexico just for starters, Let me know how you go.
Cheers, Ossy

LOL......I thought we already had given it back.....Snicker...Snicker...... At least you are willing to admit that it is at least partly about the money.

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
4theMoney said:
kevino1960 said:
Cheers, Ossy

LOL......I thought we already had given it back.....Snicker...Snicker...... At least you are willing to admit that it is at least partly about the money.

Hi

I actually dont think its because of the money. I think its a political move to enforce public demand. Just think how the US public would if a foreign private company salvaged the Alamo, bornhomme richard or the Mayflower in a "clandestine" way in order to make a fortune. The us public would demand that their government took action in order to secure the nations cultural heritage. Spain is no different ;)

/V

4theMoney

Nov 1, 2008
I cant see a parallel with the Mayflower..... However it could sorta be an "Alamo". I also agree that there is lots of politics involved. Either way, we both may have very separate opinions about what the money means to Spains Govt.

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Hi 4themoney,

My point is that the spanish goverment would not be allowed to cash in on their cultural heritage. The intellectual mob will fight this. They will only be able to dispose of the treasure through the political correct channels, which is to museums and universities, of which mostly are finance by the state. I think you should see this as a result of a growing national awareness and pride caused by an increasing global world. I dont think its 4themoney ;)

We have a saying in Denmark that whats lost externally shall be gained internally - it was said by the king when we lost territory to preussen i think.

4theMoney

Nov 1, 2008
Then, once Again if it come down to a heritage issue, it doesnt belong to Spain, But Peru......

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Voldbjerg said:
Hi 4themoney,

My point is that the spanish goverment would not be allowed to cash in on their cultural heritage. The intellectual mob will fight this. They will only be able to dispose of the treasure through the political correct channels, which is to museums and universities, of which mostly are finance by the state. I think you should see this as a result of a growing national awareness and pride caused by an increasing global world. I dont think its 4themoney ;)

We have a saying in Denmark that whats lost externally shall be gained internally - it was said by the king when we lost territory to preussen i think.

Touchè !! For documents of the Spanish Guardia Civil of phone conversations related with the "Operation Bay 2" where I have been imputed of four crimes, now reduced at two and with the time everything will be superseded because I have always acted with the law in the hands (and this is known by people that know me very well), in November 2005, when I was getting ready to submit a project of recovery of the Mercedes with the Portuguese Navy and the Ministry of Culture of Portugal, a high official of the Ministry of Culture of Spain, manifested clearly that we had the support of Spain because the Mercedes was a ship of the Spanish Navy and also, to recover it supposed to stuff the museums. This and other conversations have been recorded and transcribed by the Guardia Civil, among them that Odyssey didn't have any permit of the government from Andalusia, one and only authorized to granting it. Everything is perfectly written in the 15 volumes of the indictments related with the operation with luxury of details.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
It is estimated that 100,000 million euros in gold and silver lay in Spanish waters around Spain( this is Spain's current deficit )
Officials estimate about 2,000 ton's of sunken gold, from manifest's which are kept at Spain's historical Archives, they expect to find more as it was common for contraband to be transported as well as personal luxury items.

I love the numbers they come up with... 100 billion Euros worth :tongue3:

2000 tons = 4,000,000 pounds = 64,000,000 ozs. x $1000/oz = $64,000,000,000 ::)

Give or take a bit for Troy ounces if you want, but these numbers are pretty laughable, and they expect even more with contraband, AND this is just in the waters around Spain.

Mel Fisher spent 20 years and found half a billion dollars worth (back when half a billion was a lot of money).

The Philippino Yamashi-ta guys still win in the silly numbers contest, but at least you guys are trying. :laughing7:

Jay

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Hmmmm interesting debate here;

I don't think I would like European ships coming to the coast of Florida and looking for treasure.

I know Spain pillaged, raped, killed for many years to satisfy their lust for gold.

Spain however cannot claim half of the Atlantic ocean.

Maybe the countries where the gold was taken should have salvaging rights to gold off of the Spanish coast for atrocities committed?

Lots of good points here, I am always amazed that the internet makes this a small world.

I am glad that we invaded the Spanish territory of Florida and kicked them out after they paid us 5 million dollars for the land. Serves your colonial butts right.

WHY is it that Spain never talks about WHERE their gold came from?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about treasure hunting for gold on Spanish ships, just what I have read here. I just metal detect Second Seminole War Forts and such.

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
armchairQB30 said:
Hmmmm interesting debate here;

I don't think I would like European ships coming to the coast of Florida and looking for treasure.

I know Spain pillaged, raped, killed for many years to satisfy their lust for gold.

Spain however cannot claim half of the Atlantic ocean.

Maybe the countries where the gold was taken should have salvaging rights to gold off of the Spanish coast for atrocities committed?

Lots of good points here, I am always amazed that the internet makes this a small world.

I am glad that we invaded the Spanish territory of Florida and kicked them out after they paid us 5 million dollars for the land. Serves your colonial butts right.

WHY is it that Spain never talks about WHERE their gold came from?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about treasure hunting for gold on Spanish ships, just what I have read here. I just metal detect Second Seminole War Forts and such.
armchairQB30, If you read the report it does say from colonial America is where the gold and silver came from :o
I'm always amused by how some of you view the Spanish in the early colonial days. Here's a new flash for you ! your ancestors
did the same or worse, you need to take your rose coloured glass's off and read some of your own history.
Now if you are a Native American you have every right to complain.
Ossy

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Dear Mr Ossy,

I dont read Spanish but I do know that your country wiped out entire civilizations in your quest for gold, now the question is simple, how can you claim gold off of your coast and not comment on HOW YOU GOT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE??? Your imperialistic country murdered and slaughtered many people in Mexico and South America to get gold. Now you are claiming rights every where. No one wants to talk about how the Spaniards enslaved people to get what they wanted. It took American technology and brains to bring these treasures to the surface that your ancestors stole from Mexico and South America.

While I do think that Spains territorial waters should be respected you still cant claim half of the Atlantic ocean. The bottomline is that you find it in the big blue and you spend the money to find it, you should keep it no matter what country you are from.

Before we talk about the horrible bad things committed by the US, just answer to my above comments, at best the treasure is BLOOD TREASURE.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
.......The reason for using the Spanish navy has a dual benefit, they have the lastest technology with a state of the art mine sweeper and ROV and secondly they offer the highest security to any site from treasure hunters.....Spain will not be caught sleeping on the job again !!
Ossy

Tampa, FL - June 26, 2009 - Odysey Marine Exploration, Inc. (NasdaqCM: OMEX) reports today that the Japanese battleship Yamato, is being raised from its grave in the East China Sea. Displacing 72,000 tons, the World War II battleship was the largest ever built and its massive 18.1” guns had a range of over 45 Km.

Odyssey's CEO, Greg Stemm states “Despite being attacked by a wave of 400 aircraft the Yamato is in remarkable condition”. The company’s deep sea ROV, Zeus, has already begun attaching the first of 4 lift bags to the wreck. The bags, which are similar in volume to the Goodyear blimp, are scheduled to float the Yamoto to the surface early next week. Once afloat, a team of over 2500 unemployed shipbuilders will descend upon the ship to begin restoration, which will be completed by the end of July.

Odyssey’s Stemm states “Although we had previously thought about raising the wreck for historical purposes, a specific need for a vessel of this caliber (pun) has arisen in our business model.” Spain’s ongoing legal actions against the company’s treasure claims and aggressive plans to deploy a naval minesweeper have left Odyssey with no other choice but to up the ante. “We are proud to have a vessel of the Yamato’s stature as a part of our research and recovery fleet”. Plans are to station the gargantuan battleship in international waters off the coast of Spain to protect the company’s business interests.

(the above information is from an unknown source, always check your references on the Internet <g>)

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
LOL, raising Yamato... :laughing7:

That reminds me of the movie Raise The Titanic(1980). When it came to the surface it was in great shape, just basically covered in surface rust.

Jay

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiveWrecks said:
.......The reason for using the Spanish navy has a dual benefit, they have the lastest technology with a state of the art mine sweeper and ROV and secondly they offer the highest security to any site from treasure hunters.....Spain will not be caught sleeping on the job again !!
Ossy

Tampa, FL - June 26, 2009 - Odyssey Marine Exploration, Inc. (NasdaqCM: OMEX) reports today that the Japanese battleship Yamato, is being raised from its grave in the East China Sea. Displacing 72,000 tons, the World War II battleship was the largest ever built and its massive 18.1” guns had a range of over 45 Km.

Odyssey's CEO, Greg Stemm states “Despite being attacked by a wave of 400 aircraft the Yamato is in remarkable condition”. The company’s deep sea ROV, Zeus, has already begun attaching the first of 4 lift bags to the wreck. The bags, which are similar in volume to the Goodyear blimp, are scheduled to float the Yamoto to the surface early next week. Once afloat, a team of over 2500 unemployed shipbuilders will descend upon the ship to begin restoration, which will be completed by the end of July.

Odyssey’s Stemm states “Although we had previously thought about raising the wreck for historical purposes, a specific need for a vessel of this caliber (pun) has arisen in our business model.” Spain’s ongoing legal actions against the company’s treasure claims and aggressive plans to deploy a naval minesweeper have left Odyssey with no other choice but to up the ante. “We are proud to have a vessel of the Yamato’s stature as a part of our research and recovery fleet”. Plans are to station the gargantuan battleship in international waters off the coast of Spain to protect the company’s business interests.

(the above information is from an unknown source, always check your references on the Internet <g>)
LOL Stan, This will keep the blood thirsty Spaniards away :laughing9:

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
armchairQB30 said:
Dear Mr Ossy,

I dont read Spanish but I do know that your country wiped out entire civilizations in your quest for gold, now the question is simple, how can you claim gold off of your coast and not comment on HOW YOU GOT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE??? Your imperialistic country murdered and slaughtered many people in Mexico and South America to get gold. Now you are claiming rights every where. No one wants to talk about how the Spaniards enslaved people to get what they wanted. It took American technology and brains to bring these treasures to the surface that your ancestors stole from Mexico and South America.

While I do think that Spain's territorial waters should be respected you still cant claim half of the Atlantic ocean. The bottom line is that you find it in the big blue and you spend the money to find it, you should keep it no matter what country you are from.

Before we talk about the horrible bad things committed by the US, just answer to my above comments, at best the treasure is BLOOD TREASURE.
armchairQB30 " At best the treasure is Blood Treasure " But you are very happy for Your American super Technology
company to keep it and sell it off :icon_scratch: Your ancestors did the same ! they would wait for the treasure fleet's, attack, Kill
steal. How do you wash your hands of this :icon_scratch: I could understand if you are saying, It should all go back to Mexico, Peru, but like your ancestors you are happy to keep the money, your hands will be stained as well !
Ossy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread