What's new

Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol - Updated Photos

burlington

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Last month I had the opportunity to explore a new piece of property. The area is rich in history with Indian battles and a Revolutionary War skirmish. The property owner told me that there was a supposed to be a church on the site at one time and an old colonial road passes through the property. My first visit resulted in several buckles, a copper button, and a large keyhole cover. I was anxious to return, as I knew this area was hiding some treasures.

Saturday I was able to get out there for about 2 1/2 hours. I focused my energy in the area the old church sat. Due to the amount of iron, I stayed in discrimination mode and took my time. The first find was a silver spoon less the handle.

When I found the pistol, it was about four inches down under broken pieces of brick. At first I thought it was an old toy until I started cleaning it off. I was rather surprised as to the condition of the gun and am still amazed the screws are still attached that held the frame to the handle. Our friends at "What Is It" have helped me to narrow it down to a late 1700's Muff Pocket Pistol. On one side it reads "New York" the opposite plate reads "Squire & Co." The bottom side of the barrel contains two makers marks that I will post later. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • squire gun 001.webp
    squire gun 001.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 7,497
  • squire gun 002.webp
    squire gun 002.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 7,442
  • squire gun 003.webp
    squire gun 003.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 7,452
  • squire gun 004.webp
    squire gun 004.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 7,337
  • squire gun 005.webp
    squire gun 005.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 7,342
  • squire gun 006.webp
    squire gun 006.webp
    22 KB · Views: 7,318
  • squire gun 007.webp
    squire gun 007.webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 7,259
  • squire gun 002.webp
    squire gun 002.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 7,354
  • squire gun 001.webp
    squire gun 001.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 7,351
  • squire gun 003.webp
    squire gun 003.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 7,335
  • squire gun 004.webp
    squire gun 004.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 7,354
  • squire gun 005.webp
    squire gun 005.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 7,315
  • squire gun 006.webp
    squire gun 006.webp
    22 KB · Views: 7,290
  • squire gun 007.webp
    squire gun 007.webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 7,233
Upvote 0
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Hi burlington, that pistol is superb WTG :icon_thumleft:. Hurry up and get back there ;D.

hammered
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Awesome find.
Dman
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

that is way cool, thank you for sharing.
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

That is a super find...the condition is amazing!
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Squire & Co could be an importer. The makers marks might be the key to the manufacturer.
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Killer find!! :icon_thumright: You have had some amazing finds and this is no exception!! Keep up the good work!!

mike
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

I would start by Googling "Squire and Co - gunworks"
That may be all it takes.
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

That is a dreamfind. I hope i find something like this sometime. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Awesome find! Similar, but not the same obviously, as this one:
 

Attachments

  • Muff Flintlock.webp
    Muff Flintlock.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 8,092
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Thanks for all the replies. That image looks just like this gun. Still trying to find information on the "Squire & Co." stamped on side. Tomorrow hope to have better photos showing the makers mark on the bottom of barrell.
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Sweet find congrats :headbang:
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

fabulous display piece!!
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Sweet fine............Thanks
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

BANNER!
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Fantastic piece of history there. Congrats! :thumbsup:
-MM-
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom