What's new

Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol - Updated Photos

burlington

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Last month I had the opportunity to explore a new piece of property. The area is rich in history with Indian battles and a Revolutionary War skirmish. The property owner told me that there was a supposed to be a church on the site at one time and an old colonial road passes through the property. My first visit resulted in several buckles, a copper button, and a large keyhole cover. I was anxious to return, as I knew this area was hiding some treasures.

Saturday I was able to get out there for about 2 1/2 hours. I focused my energy in the area the old church sat. Due to the amount of iron, I stayed in discrimination mode and took my time. The first find was a silver spoon less the handle.

When I found the pistol, it was about four inches down under broken pieces of brick. At first I thought it was an old toy until I started cleaning it off. I was rather surprised as to the condition of the gun and am still amazed the screws are still attached that held the frame to the handle. Our friends at "What Is It" have helped me to narrow it down to a late 1700's Muff Pocket Pistol. On one side it reads "New York" the opposite plate reads "Squire & Co." The bottom side of the barrel contains two makers marks that I will post later. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • squire gun 001.webp
    squire gun 001.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 7,497
  • squire gun 002.webp
    squire gun 002.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 7,442
  • squire gun 003.webp
    squire gun 003.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 7,452
  • squire gun 004.webp
    squire gun 004.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 7,337
  • squire gun 005.webp
    squire gun 005.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 7,342
  • squire gun 006.webp
    squire gun 006.webp
    22 KB · Views: 7,318
  • squire gun 007.webp
    squire gun 007.webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 7,259
  • squire gun 002.webp
    squire gun 002.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 7,354
  • squire gun 001.webp
    squire gun 001.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 7,351
  • squire gun 003.webp
    squire gun 003.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 7,335
  • squire gun 004.webp
    squire gun 004.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 7,354
  • squire gun 005.webp
    squire gun 005.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 7,315
  • squire gun 006.webp
    squire gun 006.webp
    22 KB · Views: 7,290
  • squire gun 007.webp
    squire gun 007.webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 7,233
Upvote 0
That's a sweet find burlington and in great condition :hello2:

Banner Muff Pistol :icon_king:
 
Banner Find For sure! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: Been seeing it for awhile now maybe it will find it's place soon. On the banner! :headbang: Thanks for sharing a cool find with us indeed! :thumbsup:
 
Woo Hoo!

Congrats on the Banner.

Now for a positive I.D. :read2:
 
CONGRATS on making the BANNER train up top. :headbang: :hello2: :occasion18: :occasion14: :blob10: :wav: :thumbsup:
-MM-
 
Fantastic piece :o Congrats :headbang: :headbang:
 
Very Nice.......Congrat's on the banner :thumbsup:
 
That is an awesome find. Full of history, if only it could speak !!!! It will look real nice in a display case.

Congrats on the Banner !!!!

Brian in MA
 
Very nice I like it very much. way to go :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65
 
Excellent find, congrats.
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Imnengr said:
Awesome find! Similar, but not the same obviously, as this one:
The picture you found is very close. Do you have the link Imnengr?
flintlock_009.webpMuff_Flintlock.webp
 
:notworthy: :notworthy: Well it is now official you made banner!! congrats buddy. I am still on for Thursday if the warden gives the go ahead. I already cleared it with my drill seargent. :hello2:
Jeff K
 
Choice. Congrates on the Banner, well deserved!
Carl
 
great find ,nothing like an old gun to get you going..well done
 
That is the coolist pistol I have ever seen dug!
 
Congrats on unearthing such an enviable relic!. :hello2: :headbang: Good luck on future hunts there. WTG on the Banner. :thumbsup:

Keep digging!
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

bigcypresshunter said:
Imnengr said:
Awesome find! Similar, but not the same obviously, as this one:
The picture you found is very close. Do you have the link Imnengr?
Sorry, I didn't keep the link, but it was not hard to find it on Google. Congrats on banner!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom