What's new

Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol - Updated Photos

burlington

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Last month I had the opportunity to explore a new piece of property. The area is rich in history with Indian battles and a Revolutionary War skirmish. The property owner told me that there was a supposed to be a church on the site at one time and an old colonial road passes through the property. My first visit resulted in several buckles, a copper button, and a large keyhole cover. I was anxious to return, as I knew this area was hiding some treasures.

Saturday I was able to get out there for about 2 1/2 hours. I focused my energy in the area the old church sat. Due to the amount of iron, I stayed in discrimination mode and took my time. The first find was a silver spoon less the handle.

When I found the pistol, it was about four inches down under broken pieces of brick. At first I thought it was an old toy until I started cleaning it off. I was rather surprised as to the condition of the gun and am still amazed the screws are still attached that held the frame to the handle. Our friends at "What Is It" have helped me to narrow it down to a late 1700's Muff Pocket Pistol. On one side it reads "New York" the opposite plate reads "Squire & Co." The bottom side of the barrel contains two makers marks that I will post later. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • squire gun 001.webp
    squire gun 001.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 7,497
  • squire gun 002.webp
    squire gun 002.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 7,442
  • squire gun 003.webp
    squire gun 003.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 7,452
  • squire gun 007.webp
    squire gun 007.webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 7,259
  • squire gun 006.webp
    squire gun 006.webp
    22 KB · Views: 7,318
  • squire gun 005.webp
    squire gun 005.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 7,342
  • squire gun 004.webp
    squire gun 004.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 7,337
  • squire gun 001.webp
    squire gun 001.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 7,351
  • squire gun 002.webp
    squire gun 002.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 7,354
  • squire gun 006.webp
    squire gun 006.webp
    22 KB · Views: 7,290
  • squire gun 005.webp
    squire gun 005.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 7,315
  • squire gun 004.webp
    squire gun 004.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 7,354
  • squire gun 003.webp
    squire gun 003.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 7,335
  • squire gun 007.webp
    squire gun 007.webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 7,233
Upvote 0
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

that thing is awesome!! i would make a handle for that baby. congrats. willy
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

This is outstanding! I have never found a pistol. It is definitely on my list to find. But finding one from the 1700's just blows my mind. Great job.
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Awesome find.

Frickin' banner!!!
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Great Looking Find.

I Have my Nephew checking his Favorite
hunting site for Info on Squire and Co,
although It may be like Sears
just the name of the shop that sold it.

Can you get some Better Pics.
"Square" and Without the Ruler in them ?
Maybe at a little distance
with alot of empty backround around it,
So I Can Crop it Square ?

Getting alot of Banner Nominations
But Can't do anything with your
rectangular shaped pics.

Here is the site
If you wanna sign up & Try & Add Pics

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1641127
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Great find! WTG! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

jeff of pa said:
Great Looking Find.

I Have my Nephew checking his Favorite
hunting site for Info on Squire and Co,
although It may be like Sears
just the name of the shop that sold it.

Can you get some Better Pics.
"Square" and Without the Ruler in them ?
Maybe at a little distance
with alot of empty backround around it,
So I Can Crop it Square ?

Getting alot of Banner Nominations
But Can't do anything with your
rectangular shaped pics.

Here is the site
If you wanna sign up & Try & Add Pics

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1641127
I posted a link in the whatsits thread with a refrence to a Joseph Squire a Colonial Gunsmith, don't know if that might help his search :)
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...resnum=1&ved=0CAkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false


SS
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Very Nice! :icon_pirat:
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

That is an awesome find. I hope you find many more like it.
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

SWEEEET :headbang: :headbang:
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Thanks for all the great replies and votes. I truly thought I had found a toy when I recovered this from its earthly den. Attached are some updated photos that show the makers mark on the underside of the barrel. Silver Searcher, I have looked at the link you provided and agree that it may be a possible lead. I plan on posting this on some gun forums to see if I can dig deeper. Some day I would like to have this gun restored and a handle made for it. It is sure to be a great display piece. Made it back out to the same site today with some friends and recovered a couple of buttons and large cents. Those are for another post on another day. Happy hunting to all.
 

Attachments

  • flintlock 001.webp
    flintlock 001.webp
    77.4 KB · Views: 6,010
  • flintlock 008.webp
    flintlock 008.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 5,860
  • flintlock 007.webp
    flintlock 007.webp
    58.1 KB · Views: 5,876
  • flintlock 006.webp
    flintlock 006.webp
    41.1 KB · Views: 5,901
  • flintlock 005.webp
    flintlock 005.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 5,919
  • flintlock 009.webp
    flintlock 009.webp
    85.2 KB · Views: 5,834
  • flintlock 010.webp
    flintlock 010.webp
    92.2 KB · Views: 5,777
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Thats just AWESOME!!!! Great find!! :notworthy:
 
That's a really an awesome find. Not many of them posted up either. :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

burlington said:
Some day I would like to have this gun restored and a handle made for it. It is sure to be a great display piece. Made it back out to the same site today with some friends and recovered a couple of buttons and large cents. Those are for another post on another day. Happy hunting to all.
An absolutely neat find, I wish you all the luck in finding out info on it. Please share it with us if you restore this fantastic early firearm.
 
Extremely nice, understatement for sure!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom