What's new

mummified petrified skull of a ?

boomer46901

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this mummified or petrified skull in dirt dredged from a ditch in central Indiana. It is solid rock. It is about the size of a half dollar coin. You can see the eye sockets, nasal cavity, and teeth on one side. the teeth have turned to crystal. Do you know what this is or the age of it? Any questions?
 

Attachments

  • head1.webp
    head1.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 2,995
More pix would definitely help us out. It would be so great if a professional palentologist or some other expert could positively ID this thing.
 
Upvote 0
Well... a good mystery indeed!

In case this ends up being a skull, I'm lodging my vote for:

Young, underdeveloped, or partial skull from a otter, mink, fisher, ferret, or badger. :-\
 
Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
Well... a good mystery indeed!

In case this ends up being a skull, I'm lodging my vote for:

Young, underdeveloped, or partial skull from a otter, mink, fisher, ferret, or badger. :-\
I am voting for a rock. GL and keep us posted!
 
Upvote 0
I'm not convinced it's a skull, either. Any indication that it was carved to look like a skull?

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
I don't know what it is. I don't think it is a skull. It may be a carving to resemble a skull. I would take it to a museum and have them look at it just to make sure.
 
Upvote 0
I suggest that you have it X-Rayed just to have a better point of view.
As we all know things were quite different a few million years ago.
Great find.
I also believe it is a skull.
Peg Leg
 
Upvote 0
Here's a couple of skulls.

Fossils

A dog and a rabbit.
 

Attachments

  • dognebraska.webp
    dognebraska.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 2,140
  • rabbitwyoming.webp
    rabbitwyoming.webp
    15.2 KB · Views: 2,118
Upvote 0
I agree with others about it being a rock with some holes and cephalopod remains. The "nose" hole is a dead giveaway because skulls don't have round nasal cavities, always a two-holer look, or divided. Very small critters have very small nasal passages. Not being hateful here, just my opinion, been a rockhound and fossil collector a long tme. Still, it should clean up nice, a little work with a dremel tool and you got one heck of a conversation piece for the coffee shop.
 
Upvote 0
From the completely unlettered I like Angelos Wyoming rabbit. Knock that guys four front teeth out and he'd kinda look like an ancestor anyway.
 
Upvote 0
Looks similar to a ground squirrel skull to me. I looked a that collection of skulls and it now looks more like a bat to me because there are no identifiable k9 teeth or fangs. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Here are some more pics. The other side isn't as clear, but does display the same general feature. I think it more of a mummified head prior to fossilizing. thaty would explain the crushed shape. ANyway, its a good mystery. tahnks for all the chatter.
 

Attachments

  • head top.webp
    head top.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,981
Upvote 0
Not sure, but to me, looks more like a rock....but, what do I know? Good luck finding the answer!
 
Upvote 0
99Brown said:
Not sure, but to me, looks more like a rock....but, what do I know? Good luck finding the answer!

With the additional photos, I tend to agree with this assessment. It's a (weird) rock. Bummer.
 
Upvote 0
You need to get to your nearest college and find a biology, paleontology or geology professor.

My assessment is that it has some characteristics of a fossilized skull, but without holding it, and examining it closely, I couldnt tell you.

IF it is, it is definately mammalian.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom