What's new

mummified petrified skull of a ?

boomer46901

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this mummified or petrified skull in dirt dredged from a ditch in central Indiana. It is solid rock. It is about the size of a half dollar coin. You can see the eye sockets, nasal cavity, and teeth on one side. the teeth have turned to crystal. Do you know what this is or the age of it? Any questions?
 

Attachments

  • head1.webp
    head1.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 2,995
Finally got the pictures scanned. Here is a good example
of what you found. Found by my father from drained Lake
Freeman in 1993. It is a Syringopora Coral fossil. You might even be
able to see the clams in there.
 

Attachments

  • fossil.webp
    fossil.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 735
  • fossil2.webp
    fossil2.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 715
  • fossil3.webp
    fossil3.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 720
Upvote 0
I would saw that that it could be a distant cousin of the SHREW , judging by the size of the skull and yet more adabt to the intake of roots and grasses as per the mandables that i see. AGE 1,500.000 give or take ? :icon_study:
 
Upvote 0
You can put multiple pictures on the same post, up to 12 I think.

I would have someone check it out like a college professor or someone.
 
Upvote 0
I'd say it is a skull
 
Upvote 0
Had another look...

It's ocean life conglomerate. Crinoid stem for teeth, cephalopod parts possibly as well. I have several seabed, reptile, and mammal fossils here to compare with...IMO, not a skull.
 
Upvote 0
First thought, it is a skull look-a-like rock. We can find many shapes in rocks. Interesting that it resembles a face/skull. Just my opinion and I am no expert on fossils.
 
Upvote 0
Cool find, have it looked at. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom