MXT

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
I'm presently using a Whites MXT. Although I haven't found the time to get out there yet I plan on doing some nugget shooting. That's what caught my attention about the MXT. Running at almost 14KHz, it's a little "hotter" than most coin and jewelry units. This extra power under the hood allows the MXT to be more sensitive to smaller, less conductive targets such as small pieces of gold. But it's also more sensitive to little teeny pieces of foil too. I'm the type that digs anything with a positive VDI number so I definitely dig my share of trash.
The MXT has three search modes. Coin and jewelry, relic, and prospecting. I quickly gave up on the coin and jewelry mode. I prefer the relic mode with it's two tone ID. High tone for any target that falls above where your Disc is set and a low tone for targets that fall below your Disc setting. There is also a mid tone when the detector isn't quite sure. Mostly happens on deeper targets near the end of the MXT's "reach".
Another piece of info the MXT gives you is the "probability" bars. Depending on how sure the MXT is about the target ID it will show either a 1/4, 1/2, or full bar. I've found that watching the probability bars and how constant the VDI number stays is a very accurate way of deciding whether you want to dig or not.
There is also a toggle switch "trigger" that affects the three search modes differently. Without going into a lengthy discussion about each of these suffice it to say that for a turn on and go detector the MXT is very versatile.
I also like the fact that the battery life is about twice as long as the DFX and XLT.
And still another way of tweaking the MXT is the ground tracking toggle switch. You have a choice of salt, trac, and lock. For me I like to lock the auto trac after ground balancing. Seems to keep the threshold a little more steady and maybe a bit more accurate VDI. But have done no tests to prove it. But I've read posts from people who have a lot more time with the MXT than me who also lock the auto trac.
I could keep going on and on. Have hardly scratched the surface on the capabilities of Whites MXT. I'm still learning them myself. And of course there are drawbacks. I've read that the MXT is tough to use over wet salt beaches for example.
But the bottom line is that for an all purpose, versatile, powerful, sensitive, and accurate detector the MXT is working great for me.

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
slowsweeper - i got my mxt in march of this year. i got off to a slow start as i didn't have time to use it until the midle of the month. i probably got two hours on it between march and the middle of aug. i try to get out at least an hour a day since i started the routine. after each time out , ireread part of the manual or on occassion watch the dvd that came with the machine.
at first i was only getting about fifty cents in change in an hour. i was hearing plenty of signals but the pin pointing was tough. one day i lowered the gain to between 5 and 6 and wahla ! i more than doubled my take. the pin pointing was a lot easier - in fact - half the time my ice pick was hitting the clads dead center. i don't pay any attention to the overload that takes place when the pick enters the center of the 950 head. my advice to anyone with an mxt is to read and reread the manual for each mode you work in. i had totally missed the bit about lowering the gain in the manual - but it was there. i am constantly learning each time i go out. have fun! wayne

Stirling N5PIP

Aug 7, 2005
Daytona Beach, Fl.
I have an MXT and really like it. It is extremely easy to set up and run. I use it mainly on the beach? and it excels in the dry sand. In the wet sand it does OK, but that is not its forte.? In "regular" ground it performs like a champ. This machine is "hot" (read very sensitive). It can really sniff out deep nickles like there is no tomorrow.? Since it operates at 14 kHz, the threshold is a little chatty (noisy), when I run my DFX at 15 kHz it behaves the same way. This frequency is ideal for finding small gold targets. So being chatty is not a problem and you soon get used to it.? My wife likes the MXT so much that she has threatened my with domestic instability if I trade it off!!!
Below is a link to a very good article on the MXT.

http://www.ourpasthistory.com/md/mxt.htm

HH,
Stirling, N5PIP
Daytona Beach

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using my MXT for a few months and have searched for coins & jewelry, artifacts and gold. The detector is very sensitive and since the controls are through software rather than pots and hardware, very minor adjustments of the controls can make large changes in operation.

I certainly have not mastered any of the modes but I am more comfortable switching between modes and filtering techniques. I My ratio of coins to junk has improved to the extent that my hunts are shorted and more productive.

Three accessories that I find necessary are (1) a pinpointer, (2) a "swingy-thingy" Home Page
http://www.docsdetecting.com/index.html bungee cord detector harness that allows for easy swinging and (3) good earphones.

The earphones I use are RAT-VTF phones. These headphones are quite different and very sensitive. Check out:
RATPHONES
http://www.detectusa.com/phones.htm

There is a headphone setting to block out the sometimes annoying constant MXT tone which I found to be valuable in very trashy ground.

By the way..... my TH'ing partner is planning to sell his Minelab Explorer-2 and get an MXT. The minelabs are top of the line in sophistication but have a very steep and long learning curve. Not for beginners in my opinion.

vsan

Oct 12, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
MXT/ CTX 3030/ Whites tdi
I just brought home my new MXT today. I took it downstairs to get some values on different targets such as large cents and silver. I noticed that the threshold is a lot more stable in the relic mode than the coin/ jewelry mode. Is this normal or should I consider bringing it back?

P

PrizmIV

vsan said:
I just brought home my new MXT today. I took it downstairs to get some values on different targets such as large cents and silver. I noticed that the threshold is a lot more stable in the relic mode than the coin/ jewelry mode. Is this normal or should I consider bringing it back?

Ya thats how mine is at least. Wether it`s relic hunting, coin shooting, or beach hunting, I always run relic mode.

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
vsan - i have no problem with stability in any mode since i learned about lowering the gain when the problem arises. however i'm pretty sure about the mineral levels etc. in this area where i live and i'm not sure what i would find for mineralization where you live. i worked an area around our local police station the other day and i found $1.14 in change and a gold wedding band. the gold band still read like a nickel in the coin mode. wayne p.s i worked an hour and fifteen minutes.

day dreamer

Aug 13, 2005
Florence S.C.
I have had my MXT for little over a month now.Its agreat machine wouldnt get rid of it for no other.I have found 2 silver rings,1gold wedding band and about $48.00 in change in less tha a month and a half.It doses agreat job ion identifiing nickles. whitch helps in finding most gold rings.But like most detectors i still dig up a lot of pull tabs an trash.

gmu4me

Jan 15, 2006
Culpeper, Va
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I just bought a MXT last week and have spent about an hour out with it out in the fields. So far it has detected three relic buttons -- two flat buttons and a Union Eagle "I" cuff button. So far I really like the machine. Easy to use and adjust. I have two small issues with the machine so far..

First: I am left handed and it is made for right handed people. The control buttons are on the left side. When I use it in my left hand I have to reach over the machine to make adjustments to the control buttons.

Second: No backlight on the display.

Both are small irratations, but I made the right choice.

Stirling N5PIP

Aug 7, 2005
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Re: MXT Backlighting

I solved the problem of not being able to see the display when night hunting. I purchased a flexibleshaft book reading light from a local bookstore. Then I Velcro'd it to the MXT and adjusted the light to illuminate the display. The light was about $10, Velcro $1.
The light is a white LED and the battery should last a very long time.

Maybe not as fashionable as a factory backlight, but it sure works good. I also use the same light on my Quattro & Sovereign GT meter. All I have to do is swap the light between units and voila', night hunting is fun.

HH,
Stirling, N5PIP

S

southbound

I plan on buying a MXT in May. I would like to know how it does on depth? Living here in Germany, i dig a lot of old relics and need max depth.
Vern

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
MXT is a fantastic detecting machine. Bought mine over three years ago with no complaints or problems. Have not done any relic hunting yet, only coin and gold mode. First couple of times out found some clad but mostly junk, i.e., pull tabs (hate them) and foil but once I learned my discrimination mode switch productivity went up. Went down to AZ to visit family, and of course took my MXT, set on gold mode/hyperstat and found some gold with my share of bullet fragments (sounds just like gold).

lucky1777 and others - On other detector heads, check out the Big Foot. Used the two Whites coils, then switched to the Big Foot what a difference. Pin pointing 3X faster than any other coil, larger coverage area. Only two draw backs 1) is if you trained yourself to certain sounds the backhalf of the coil gives out a negative sound, but just sweep back over the sound with the fronthalf. 2) Values on some objects change but a little practice and your back to finding the good stuff.

On night detecting, this is good practice to listen to your machine than relying on your screen. Each coin and object has it's own distinctive sound which is helpful in detecting. When you learn different sounds you can just detect enjoying the sights as you detect then when you hear that particular sound you know it. Also try using those lights that attach to the bill of your cap. Some have red lens so you don't attract bugs and police from nosey neighbors.

Good detecting and keep the coil down.
49er

Can't wait till I fully retire this year so I can detect all day long

T

TREETOPPER

Hey,
just wondering if i am making the right investment.
The MXT has everything I'm looking for in a MD but what about being user friendly for a newbie.I have never used a MD before but anxious to get started.As a matter of fact i picked the MXT today from the info i got from this site.I received more info today from this site on Md's then all the yrs reading books on the subject.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread