What's new

My almost forgottne youth

lonesomebob

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Messages
927
Reaction score
35
Golden Thread
0
Location
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I spent the day ,returning to the days when Sunday was the day to work on my Volkswagen Beetle. I spent today Greasing the front wheel bearings and adjusting the brakes. I had forgotten what a pain adjusting double shoe brakes can be. My 65 Beetle is my newest toy. Bob
 
HI, my first was the Van with the 36 hp engine. I even pulled the engine once for a major in a Motel by myself used wooden blocks to support it while pulling it straight back. Putting it on the blocks later to reinstall it was fun.

Yep memories.

Don Jose de La Mancha
 
I never know the VW bugs had brakes, I thought they were like the old Fred Flintstone cars :icon_scratch:

Actually, you just reminded of the days I really don't miss that much. :tongue3: Yea, it was fun to a degree working on cars, but I don't miss the headaches of changing the brake shoes. :laughing7: My time was about 71, and I had a Plymouth Scamp. I can still feel scraped knuckles working that little brake pry thingamjiggy. :laughing7:

I do miss those days when we would get together on Saturday mornings, so are cars were good to go by the evening. Growing up in the city this was no easy task working on several cars either. Luckily, we had my former college only a few miles away and we used there parking lot... We would normally take turns working on each others cars and making the runs to the auto shops, where they would cut the drums. We would purchase other filters, oils, fluids, waxes and come and get the drums later to complete the job. By the end of the day, all the cars looked better than we did :tongue3:

Boy, the money we saved :laughing9:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom