my attempts at flaking

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Alright, I really want to learn knapping and flaking so I just got some tools and stuff in and decided on some slabs I picked up really cheap. I am going to continue to look for brown flat glass but here are my points I made. These are actually point number 3 and 4, 1 and 2 broke rather fast and I continue to learn.

#3 is not too bad, I still need to learn control and make sure my edge is straight instead of wavy.
firstPT.jpg

Here is #4, I was doing really good, trying not to take too much with one flake and was working on my nothing when I broke it clean across, oh well, I am learning. I would probably do a lot better if I had a thick rubber pad. I tried using a thick pad of condensed foam but it didn't last too long.
broken1.jpg

broken.jpg

I would like to know what you all use for a pad. If you make your own can you post pics of them and what material you use, thank you.

Mike

Upvote 0

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Re: my atempts at flaking

I use a leather strap about 2 feet long and 4 inches wide.
Neat points. I use glass mostly Mason jar and liquor bottle bottoms.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X

Your points are looking good ! It's great to possess the knowledge of the ancient ones. My first one was from a beer bottle bottom. My second was a piece of clear glass that snapped in two, right after I handed it to a friend and he dropped it. Oh well!

What do you notch with? I saw a neat little notching tool that was made by driving a finish nail through a small board and that way both hands are free to hold the point firmly. But make sure you wear safety glasses!

I used a good stiff tooling leather for a pad, like the kind you would make belts or handbags out of.

Good luck and keep showing your work!

OP
OP
AeroMike

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon

I have nice thick leather, the pad I am talking about is that thick rubber pad that I see most times in the video's on youtube. I have seen then with grooves cut out, I assume they are grooved so that the flaking will not terminate permaturely.

Right now I am using just the copper nails that are on my ishi sticks but I would like to get something with like a horseshoe nail.

I didn't think about the liquor bottles, I will start looking out for them.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X

I got some copper welding tips and beat on them with a hammer to make them square and toughen them up a bit and then put them in my Ishi stick. For regular flaking I think you need to stick with copper.

OP
OP
AeroMike

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used

MEinWV said:
I got some copper welding tips and beat on them with a hammer to make them square and toughen them up a bit and then put them in my Ishi stick. For regular flaking I think you need to stick with copper.

I have one 24" ishi stick with copper tips on both ends. I also have three 6" sticks that have copper tips too but one has a flatten end. I did see an auction for 3/4" thick conveyor belt pieces that have a groove cut in them and I was thinking of getting that because I am having a hard time holding the piece as I work it.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Your first attempts are light years ahead of what mine were... learning to knapp before the internet sucked though. You mention wanting to keep a flat line rather than the wavy line but in the long run you will actually want some of that "wave". When looking at a piece from the side the low points of the wave... the valleys if you will, are where you want to remove your flakes from. Granted, you have to isolate them a bit sometimes and a little abrading on the edge will help a lot when knapping most materials but specially obsidian. As the piece progresses the waves along the edge will often become less pronounced anyhow. Very cool stuff you're doing there, I can't wait to see how your work progresses!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread