My best day so far...TWO GW BUTTONS!!!~Updated photo, a bit more clean...

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Hey everyone,

Today was incredible, here's the story...

I met up with my buddy to investigate some new spots and see if we could swing them but unfortunately the spots were inaccessible. After driving around for a few and

deliberating on where to go we settled for an old spot that hadn't produced much in the past but is in the vicinity of colonial homes. My first target was a spill of suspender

clips from around the turn of the century followed by an ornate two piece button that unfortunately deteriorated almost immediately.

I was working the immediate area when I got a deep bouncy signal at the base of a tree. I half expected to see a fragment of lead or a shotgun shell pop out of the hole but

no...A frock button popped out and through the dirt I could see some lettering and I thought "No *censored* way!" I went down to a stream and gave it a little rinse and

took another look. Low and behold there in the palm of my hand was my first GW button!! I was and still am thrilled to pieces, I haven't shook like that in a while!

:thumbsup: My buddy and I pounded the immediate area with not much else turning up so we moved on to explore more of the site. About 300 yards or so from the first

GW button I get a similar signal but didn't think at all it would be what it is. To my astonishment another big button pops out of the ground...I waled over to a stream and

gave it a little rinse and could not believe it, another GW button!!! This one came out of very wet ground and has some stubborn crud and it's a bit more beat up than the

first one but my buddy came over took a look at it and called me a bad word which is good! :thumbsup: It may be hard to see in the pic but in person you can definitely see

what it is. I took a cell photo for now and after I CAREFULLY clean them with distilled water I will post a better pic. Also, on the way out I got a decent signal and pulled an

1855 Prince Edward Island Token, it says "Self Government and Free Trade" on the reverse. So that about wraps up this adventure, thanks for looking everyone and best of

luck out there!

Attachments

• PEI token.jpg
    PEI token.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 2,528
  • PEI token 001.jpg
    PEI token 001.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 2,457
  • IMAG0458.jpg
    IMAG0458.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 2,437
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JW15 said:
Iron Patch said:
JW15 said:
Iron Patch said:
JW15 said:
Iron Patch said:
JW15 said:
Hey everyone, I managed to get the buttons a bit cleaner. I may seek having them professionally cleaned based on the condition which is unfortunately on the weathered and
I don't doubt you IP, the thought crossed my mind but a curator I spoke to advised not to stating peroxide may have an adverse affect on the oxidation and

compromise the detail further. This made me second guess myself and I was nervous enough as is, shoulda just listened to you guys... :thumbsup:

Did you ask him how many dug buttons he has cleaned? And for how many years? And with how much success?

But at least you did less, than more, cuz more (like some do) is usually a pretty bad result. I personally have never seen peroxide hurt something enough to feel it would be a risk, and if they had been mine they would have gone straight to the peroxide, back out, and not seen a drop of water. People can agree, or disagree, but I am very sure I could have cleaned both, got the cud off, and left a killer green patina. Why do I think that, because I have done it hundreds of times for both coins and buttons. All that being said, they look good, and are rare finds so you should be extremely happy. The really corroded one is so much better than it was now you have the option of both a good pay day and a nice one to keep. (something I've done many times with Rev War buttons - keep the best, sell the rest)
I hear ya IP and thanks! No, I didn't ask nor have I been able to locate a source to appraise/authenticate them yet :-[ . Furthermore all the advice I got from the

curator(s) was based on what was seen in the photos and not in person which I think may have helped. In any event I'm definitely grateful to have had the experience to

say the least, I'm sure I'll never forget it . ~ A question on peroxide if I may... Hot or not?

I don't heat it because I'm in no rush. The idea is to keep the green. It works best right out of the dirt with all the crud on. Just to clarify I don't think you hurt them, or even did anything wrong.... well except for taking someone's opinion that might have never even cleaned a dug find. It's the same idea if you walked into your local coin dealer and said here's $50, please clean these all these corroded large cents. If you did that at 20 different places who all agreed to give it a go, I bet you'd go back and all 20 would have cooked your coins.
Thanks for the input, reason I ask is becasue I find hot peroxide tends to turn the patina on coppers in particular darker than using it cold. Either way as I'm quite sure you already know, timing can be factor as well. I've heard horror stories first hand from people who tried to have coppers cleaned and cooked is right, many places use acid based cleaners! :nono:

I really don't know about heating it because I have never tried it, and have such good results at room temperature there would be no point to change. As I said when I clean things I am not in a hurry, I just want the best result.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions