What's new

My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 Vs

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
10,318
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
Location
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Went back to Ohio for a few weeks and was able to get some hunting time in with my best hunting friend Terry Everly (teverly of TNET and Buckeyetreasurehunters). We went to my home town where there is a University which opened in 1850. This has been outside my back door un-noticed for years. The University has a lot of History which also includes the land used to plant apple tree's by the world renouned Johnny Appleseed who visited the University regularly. We also were able to hunt my old elementary school built in the 20's, an old log cabin house across the street from Terry and a house built in 1830. We had 2 weekend hunts and really enjoyed the bitting flies, poison ivy and chiggers :icon_profileright:

My first dig on campus was a beatiful 2 cent piece underneith a giant oak tree. A week later I dug another one. (1865/1867). I also dug a V nickle, a Barber dime and some old wheats. I also dug a nice watch FOB but part of it broke.

The Union operearated from 1894 In Columbus, Ohio.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/the-union-department-store-columbus-ohio-oh


Dug the big broach which wasn't too deep but under the protection of a large tree. I also dug a lantern or lamp piece. UPDATE: I just found out that they made railroad lanterns which makes sense because an old railroad ran near the property. I also dug a big chunk of lead. Not sure what it may have been used for. Lastly, I dug the handle to an old knife which has some engraving of some sort.

At the school last Sunday I dug 3 silver. Another 1941 Walker, a worn merc and a 1950 Rosie and some more wheats. We also hunted a 1830's home which the owner said it had been hunted before. My first dig there was a nice 41 walker. Added some more wheats. Also found an old shell cartridge which I believe dates from the Civil war era. UPDATED: Id'ed as Model 1886 45-90 cartridge. I dug one a few years ago at another 1850's home which looked similar in size. Anyone know what it went to?? I also dug my first ever clay marble. The wheats ranged from 1910-1950's.
The rest of the silver I dug was at the old log cabin house and the house in town which has been forclosed upon. I was told that a Doctor used it as part of his office. I posted a lot of pictures like I usually do so I hope you don't get too boared :-\ Ron

050.jpg


020-1.jpg


021-24.jpg


022-22.jpg


024.jpg


023.jpg


030-3.jpg


031-2.jpg


032-2.jpg


033-2.jpg


034-1.jpg


017-28.jpg


018-26.jpg


035-1.jpg


036-1.jpg


037-1.jpg


038.jpg


039.jpg


040.jpg


041.jpg


042.jpg


043.jpg


044.jpg


045.jpg


046.jpg


047.jpg


048.jpg


049.jpg


001-41.jpg


002-45.jpg


003-44.jpg


004-41.jpg


005-40.jpg


006-39.jpg


007-40.jpg


008-38.jpg


009-39.jpg


010-41.jpg


011-38.jpg


012-36.jpg


020-25.jpg


021-25.jpg


022-23.jpg


023-17.jpg


024-16.jpg


025-16.jpg


015-31.jpg


016-27.jpg


017-28.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Wow Ron, you tore it up with that Ace 250 :notworthy:

Definitely worth the drive.

Congrats
Mark
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

Crazyjarhead said:
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Nice 2 centers.

Did you have much trouble getting permission to dig at the university ? Didn't think that would be easy...or possible.

No. Class is out now. They have a campus security guy who works there (elderly man) who told us to go ahead. He told the lady in the museum at first that he thought we were hunting for flowers (jokingly) The lady in the Museum knows my mother so that helped too. I have been going to this university for years utilizing their indoor pool during the winter.

From what I have seen on here is that generally it is not hard to hunt schools depending on where you are and what time of year it is. I like the summer, obviously because the kids are out. With respect to concerns of teachers and parents I stay away from schools while in session. Too many things are happening around them nowadays.

Thanks Jarhead,

It is nice (and helpful) to have an "in". Schools, yes, public, but universities, at least somewhat private, I thought would be much more difficult. Thanks again...gives me idears. (spelled correctly)

Again nice 2 centers, and Silvers. Hope to get out tomorrow and score some myself.

Rick
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Awesome! That's the kind of hunt I'd love to get in on!
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Congratulations Ron! :notworthy:
You did very well and everything cleaned up real nice too! :o
Almost makes you want to leave Cali and move back to Ohio! :laughing7:

OK . . . maybe not! :D

Dave
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Congrats on some excellent digs, Ron. :hello2: Love the two centers! Nice pile of coins. WTG Nice relics, too. :thumbsup:

HH
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Awesome bunch of finds, Good Job!

TommNJ
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

JACKPOT!!!! :hello2:
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Great before and after pics, how did you clean your 2 cent pieces?
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

That's one of the best hunts I've seen in a long time. How ya gonna top that?! :laughing7: Super congrats! BTW, how in the world did you get so many pics in one post? I thought the maximum was 12??
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

wow those are some great digs :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

"WOW" great finds. That old Johnny Appleseed got around didn't he, I have seen orchards planted by him in about 30 states now, he must have had a good bike to transport him. :wink:
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

I am so jealous. GREAT HUNT!!!!!
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

flip flop said:
Wow Ron, you tore it up with that Ace 250 :notworthy:

Definitely worth the drive.

Congrats
Mark

Thanks Mark. I was going to upgrade but no need for awhile, I guess.
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Sorry if I bored anyone. I just like to take pictures. What was missing was the homes I usually post as well. I didn't want to make the homeowners feel uncomfortable taking a pic of their home.
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

justanotherpulltab said:
Great before and after pics, how did you clean your 2 cent pieces?

Soap, water a clean cloth, muscle and a little bit of olive oil rubbed on then rubbed dry afterwards. The soil in which these were found was nice. That's the good thing about all of the coins around central ohio. Not clay and there was probably not any fertilizer ever used because these were in the woods. Fine brush is a must for the detail too
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Sweet finds!
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

amazing hunt Ron! sweet finds!!!!
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Well Ron it looks like you steped in it. What a wonderful weekend of finds there . Love the walkers I have only found one very nice. Memorable outings for you I am sure. Congrats Rob :coffee2:
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

absolutely awesome finds, congrats to you, but I need to know.............if you found that much GOOD stuff, how much clad did you dig :icon_scratch:
I know all the schools we hunt around here are that littered with new stuff that you won't find an oldie without weeks of digging before hand. To have found that much old stuff, you must have carried your clad out in 5 gallon buckets, right :laughing7:
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Wow way to kill it! Th 2c pieces are sweet I am green with envy. I am close to my first I can taste it. the site I am working now is my best chance. Congrats on the killer hunt!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom