What's new

My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 Vs

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
10,318
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
Location
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Went back to Ohio for a few weeks and was able to get some hunting time in with my best hunting friend Terry Everly (teverly of TNET and Buckeyetreasurehunters). We went to my home town where there is a University which opened in 1850. This has been outside my back door un-noticed for years. The University has a lot of History which also includes the land used to plant apple tree's by the world renouned Johnny Appleseed who visited the University regularly. We also were able to hunt my old elementary school built in the 20's, an old log cabin house across the street from Terry and a house built in 1830. We had 2 weekend hunts and really enjoyed the bitting flies, poison ivy and chiggers :icon_profileright:

My first dig on campus was a beatiful 2 cent piece underneith a giant oak tree. A week later I dug another one. (1865/1867). I also dug a V nickle, a Barber dime and some old wheats. I also dug a nice watch FOB but part of it broke.

The Union operearated from 1894 In Columbus, Ohio.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/the-union-department-store-columbus-ohio-oh


Dug the big broach which wasn't too deep but under the protection of a large tree. I also dug a lantern or lamp piece. UPDATE: I just found out that they made railroad lanterns which makes sense because an old railroad ran near the property. I also dug a big chunk of lead. Not sure what it may have been used for. Lastly, I dug the handle to an old knife which has some engraving of some sort.

At the school last Sunday I dug 3 silver. Another 1941 Walker, a worn merc and a 1950 Rosie and some more wheats. We also hunted a 1830's home which the owner said it had been hunted before. My first dig there was a nice 41 walker. Added some more wheats. Also found an old shell cartridge which I believe dates from the Civil war era. UPDATED: Id'ed as Model 1886 45-90 cartridge. I dug one a few years ago at another 1850's home which looked similar in size. Anyone know what it went to?? I also dug my first ever clay marble. The wheats ranged from 1910-1950's.
The rest of the silver I dug was at the old log cabin house and the house in town which has been forclosed upon. I was told that a Doctor used it as part of his office. I posted a lot of pictures like I usually do so I hope you don't get too boared :-\ Ron

050.jpg


020-1.jpg


021-24.jpg


022-22.jpg


024.jpg


023.jpg


030-3.jpg


031-2.jpg


032-2.jpg


033-2.jpg


034-1.jpg


017-28.jpg


018-26.jpg


035-1.jpg


036-1.jpg


037-1.jpg


038.jpg


039.jpg


040.jpg


041.jpg


042.jpg


043.jpg


044.jpg


045.jpg


046.jpg


047.jpg


048.jpg


049.jpg


001-41.jpg


002-45.jpg


003-44.jpg


004-41.jpg


005-40.jpg


006-39.jpg


007-40.jpg


008-38.jpg


009-39.jpg


010-41.jpg


011-38.jpg


012-36.jpg


020-25.jpg


021-25.jpg


022-23.jpg


023-17.jpg


024-16.jpg


025-16.jpg


015-31.jpg


016-27.jpg


017-28.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

Awesome finds. Hope I have your luck when I hunt the old school in my hometown.
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

Nice bunch of coins. I really like those 2 centers.
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

Outstanding finds!! ...and Pictures!! .. :notworthy:
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

Wow you nailed it :notworthy:
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

wow I'll be you are over the mooning finding 2, 2 centers!! Nice bunch of silver too. great hunt.
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

Looks like a great hunt. You made some terrific finds. I think one of your wheaties is an Indian. Left column, second one from the bottom........
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

Nice 2 centers.

Did you have much trouble getting permission to dig at the university ? Didn't think that would be easy...or possible.
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

Those are some awesome finds.
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

Great stuff Ron! Almost makes you want to stay put back home, eh?!?
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

That's what I call a great hunt! Way to go! Two walkers and two 2 cent pieces is one heck of a day! I guess when you get back to California you'll get back to digging clads again! :occasion14:
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

Great story, nice pics and killer SILVER! :hello2:

Great to see you got out
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

Wow!
Congrats on a day you will never forget! :headbang: :headbang:
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

Lowbatts said:
Great stuff Ron! Almost makes you want to stay put back home, eh?!?

Yep, because I'll have a long, hard time finding those out here :icon_sunny:
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

ramjet2187 said:
Looks like a great hunt. You made some terrific finds. I think one of your wheaties is an Indian. Left column, second one from the bottom........

That's why I wear reading glasses because I cannot see without them. You have good eyes. Now I forgot where I found that one at too ??? Thanks for pointing that out though
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever... 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers, 2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,more

Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Nice 2 centers.

Did you have much trouble getting permission to dig at the university ? Didn't think that would be easy...or possible.

No. Class is out now. They have a campus security guy who works there (elderly man) who told us to go ahead. He told the lady in the museum at first that he thought we were hunting for flowers (jokingly) The lady in the Museum knows my mother so that helped too. I have been going to this university for years utilizing their indoor pool during the winter.

From what I have seen on here is that generally it is not hard to hunt schools depending on where you are and what time of year it is. I like the summer, obviously because the kids are out. With respect to concerns of teachers and parents I stay away from schools while in session. Too many things are happening around them nowadays.
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Now, I know where I lost my tutition money at :laughing7:

Just joking. UU is a fine liberal arts university. I have one of my degrees from there.
:read2:
mike :coffee2:
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

GEEZ RON!!!! Big time SCORE!!! :hello2: :thumbsup: :occasion18: :occasion14:
Man, those are some nice coins buddy. Congrats to you.
Did you bring me back any See's Candy? :tongue3: :laughing9:
-Dug-
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

ModernMiner said:
GEEZ RON!!!! Big time SCORE!!! :hello2: :thumbsup: :occasion18: :occasion14:
Man, those are some nice coins buddy. Congrats to you.
Did you bring me back any See's Candy? :tongue3: :laughing9:
-Dug-

Nope :-* I'll send you some at Xmas. Just PM me your address sometimes. The store is 1 mile from here. Thanks for the KUDO's Hope Irene don't wash away all of your spots back there. Stay dry. Regards, Ron
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom