What's new

My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 Vs

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
10,318
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
Location
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Went back to Ohio for a few weeks and was able to get some hunting time in with my best hunting friend Terry Everly (teverly of TNET and Buckeyetreasurehunters). We went to my home town where there is a University which opened in 1850. This has been outside my back door un-noticed for years. The University has a lot of History which also includes the land used to plant apple tree's by the world renouned Johnny Appleseed who visited the University regularly. We also were able to hunt my old elementary school built in the 20's, an old log cabin house across the street from Terry and a house built in 1830. We had 2 weekend hunts and really enjoyed the bitting flies, poison ivy and chiggers :icon_profileright:

My first dig on campus was a beatiful 2 cent piece underneith a giant oak tree. A week later I dug another one. (1865/1867). I also dug a V nickle, a Barber dime and some old wheats. I also dug a nice watch FOB but part of it broke.

The Union operearated from 1894 In Columbus, Ohio.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/the-union-department-store-columbus-ohio-oh


Dug the big broach which wasn't too deep but under the protection of a large tree. I also dug a lantern or lamp piece. UPDATE: I just found out that they made railroad lanterns which makes sense because an old railroad ran near the property. I also dug a big chunk of lead. Not sure what it may have been used for. Lastly, I dug the handle to an old knife which has some engraving of some sort.

At the school last Sunday I dug 3 silver. Another 1941 Walker, a worn merc and a 1950 Rosie and some more wheats. We also hunted a 1830's home which the owner said it had been hunted before. My first dig there was a nice 41 walker. Added some more wheats. Also found an old shell cartridge which I believe dates from the Civil war era. UPDATED: Id'ed as Model 1886 45-90 cartridge. I dug one a few years ago at another 1850's home which looked similar in size. Anyone know what it went to?? I also dug my first ever clay marble. The wheats ranged from 1910-1950's.
The rest of the silver I dug was at the old log cabin house and the house in town which has been forclosed upon. I was told that a Doctor used it as part of his office. I posted a lot of pictures like I usually do so I hope you don't get too boared :-\ Ron

050.jpg


020-1.jpg


021-24.jpg


022-22.jpg


024.jpg


023.jpg


030-3.jpg


031-2.jpg


032-2.jpg


033-2.jpg


034-1.jpg


017-28.jpg


018-26.jpg


035-1.jpg


036-1.jpg


037-1.jpg


038.jpg


039.jpg


040.jpg


041.jpg


042.jpg


043.jpg


044.jpg


045.jpg


046.jpg


047.jpg


048.jpg


049.jpg


001-41.jpg


002-45.jpg


003-44.jpg


004-41.jpg


005-40.jpg


006-39.jpg


007-40.jpg


008-38.jpg


009-39.jpg


010-41.jpg


011-38.jpg


012-36.jpg


020-25.jpg


021-25.jpg


022-23.jpg


023-17.jpg


024-16.jpg


025-16.jpg


015-31.jpg


016-27.jpg


017-28.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

djm of PA said:
absolutely awesome finds, congrats to you, but I need to know.............if you found that much GOOD stuff, how much clad did you dig :icon_scratch:
I know all the schools we hunt around here are that littered with new stuff that you won't find an oldie without weeks of digging before hand. To have found that much old stuff, you must have carried your clad out in 5 gallon buckets, right :laughing7:

Actually, I did not dig too much junk. The clad is shown in the picture with all of my finds. Teverly of TNET and Moderator of Buckeyetreasurehunter can vouch for what I found. The University was pretty clean as well as the other places we hunted. I dug about 5 bucks in clad, some pulltabs and other misc. junk. Maybe I should have posted the junk too. ???
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

I own many 2-centers, and the ones you found put mine to shame. WTG!!!!

That's one heck of a handful of wheaties too.

PLUS all those silver.

Can you show pics of just the cleaned 2-centers for the rest of us to drool over? Puh-lease?
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Unbelievable, omgosh. Any key dates on those wheats?
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Hey Ron! :hello: Long time no hear!

I don't reply too much on this site, but when I saw your post, I just had to comment and say "Hi"! You kind of fooled me with your post title....I really thought you had dug all of those finds down South of me, but when I saw the two 2-centers in your title, I knew you probably went somewhere else to find them. :laughing7:

Congrats on getting access into that Ohio university, along with being able to hunt other exciting sites. Nothing compares to uncovering history in your home town, huh? Awesome hunts! :icon_thumleft:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

PS - I was down in Oceanside yesterday fishing on a private boat. OMG! The whole marina was sooooo crowded, but the weather was awesome...fishing was okay too.
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Captn SE said:
Hey Ron! :hello: Long time no hear!

I don't reply too much on this site, but when I saw your post, I just had to comment and say "Hi"! You kind of fooled me with your post title....I really thought you had dug all of those finds down South of me, but when I saw the two 2-centers in your title, I knew you probably went somewhere else to find them. :laughing7:

Congrats on getting access into that Ohio university, along with being able to hunt other exciting sites. Nothing compares to uncovering history in your home town, huh? Awesome hunts! :icon_thumleft:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

PS - I was down in Oceanside yesterday fishing on a private boat. OMG! The whole marina was sooooo crowded, but the weather was awesome...fishing was okay too.

Wish I had known that we could have done some hunting. But I know if your like me fishing took precedence :tongue3: Still like to get together someday either you down here or me drive up there. Glad to see you are out and about and doing fine. As far as the finds I found back at my hometown I'll never have a hunt like that here or anytime soon. Thanks Dan and stay in touch Ron
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Definitely a great bunch of finds! I'm assuming you are or were stationed at Pendleton, I was there from 99-01. Never did any detecting though. Ever done much good around there?

Matt
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Wooo Hooo Great finds! :thumbsup: Breezie
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

ehhhh... you did ok...... J/K that's a day to remember, nice finds!
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

misplacedrednek said:
Definitely a great bunch of finds! I'm assuming you are or were stationed at Pendleton, I was there from 99-01. Never did any detecting though. Ever done much good around there?

Matt

Yes, for many years. I just started to do some hunting. Lots of clad, wheats 2 silver dimes, one I dug yesterday (1950) an old WW2 silver ring last year. Definetly a high traffic area all those years. I was there in the 70's and know where most of the "H" style barracks stood. That is where I have been hunting. Too much to cover for sure. Will be years and years to even come close. There should be lots of silver dropped I just haven't found it yet. Thanks Semper Fi
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Great job and way to be representin' the ace 250!!! :headbang: :icon_thumleft: good job and hh
 
Re: My Best Hunt Ever! 12 silver w/ 2 Walkers,2, 2 cent Pieces, 30+ Wheats,IH,2 V's

Crazyjarhead said:
misplacedrednek said:
Definitely a great bunch of finds! I'm assuming you are or were stationed at Pendleton, I was there from 99-01. Never did any detecting though. Ever done much good around there?

Matt

Yes, for many years. I just started to do some hunting. Lots of clad, wheats 2 silver dimes, one I dug yesterday (1950) an old WW2 silver ring last year. Definetly a high traffic area all those years. I was there in the 70's and know where most of the "H" style barracks stood. That is where I have been hunting. Too much to cover for sure. Will be years and years to even come close. There should be lots of silver dropped I just haven't found it yet. Thanks Semper Fi


I was on the Air Station with HMMT-164, not real familiar with some areas of the base. Try around the lake, while I was there, it was drained about halfway and I made alot of eyeball finds. Looking forward to seeing what you find. Good luck!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom