My Best Plan of Attack?

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday afternoon I heard my door bell ring and when I opened the door there was a box from Bigboyshobbies that contained my new Garrett AT PRO. I think I remember eating supper, in a flash, and immediately began to assemble the machine, which was a snap. I have already watched tons of You Tubes, read many posts, and read the manual. I went out to the yard and turned on the machine and had it in the Standard Mode, as I do not have the expertise yet to go into the pro or custom modes. It felt good, easy to swing and just a blast. I did not change any settings as I was just getting used to the various tones. I threw a bunch of change in the yard and found it all but that was like shooting fish in a barrel as they were just in the grass and not burried. Now, what is my best plan of attack or next step in learning the machine and hobby? I am going to go over the hill by my house this weekend to a drive-in theater that opened in 1955 and closed in the late 70's and just play around.
Thanks,
Rich

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try running in standard, zero with iron discrimination at 40. Turn off iron audio as your site will probably contain a lot of trash.
When you hit a target, pinpoint the best you can and turn on iron audio before you dig. If multiple targets then switch to pro zero to
help you separate the targets.

Or use the standard coin mode which should eliminate most pull tabs (and gold).

Good luck and enjoy your new toy! Start saving for the smaller DD coil as it is a killer especially in trashy areas.

OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many Thanks!

I would try running in standard, zero with iron discrimination at 40. Turn off iron audio as your site will probably contain a lot of trash.
When you hit a target, pinpoint the best you can and turn on iron audio before you dig. If multiple targets then switch to pro zero to
help you separate the targets.

Or use the standard coin mode which should eliminate most pull tabs (and gold).

Good luck and enjoy your new toy! Start saving for the smaller DD coil as it is a killer especially in trashy areas.

Many thanks as I want to learn the correct way from experts like yourself. As soon as I get home from work today I will do what you suggest.
Thanks again,
Rich

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I'm trying to learn a new machine, I always head to either a sand or wood chip tot lot. Always a few targets, easy to dig and no worries about the size of your holes while you are learning to pinpoint. Another option is a freshwater beach or shoreline.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
You might find a ton of coins in there if it hasnt been hit hard. Try pro mode coins mode with sense at 4 and iron scrim at 40 and spend a while practicing over a zincoln, a pull tab, a rusty nail, a rusty crown cap, a nickel, a copper lincoln, a clad dime and a silver dime and learn the tones of these targets its gotta be burned in. Pay little attention to the numbers for now. You are off and running.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are right on the settings and be sure to ground balance. Iron will be a dull tone and the coins and lead a higher tone. Listen to the machine. I used mine tonight and recovered some cw bullets in an iron infested area. The bullets hit at 63 and the silver fork was around 90 Iron will hit low around from 5 to 30. The recovery speed is a little slow to what I am used to but it hit the targets really deep. I was surprised as I had run a tesoro and an f-75 oner this area. Make sure all connections are tight and fresh batteries.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread