My best teller tray score this year

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to a few different banks today and got skunked at all but one of them. Walked up to the teller window, asked if they had any halves in and she said "I have three but 2 are really dirty." I looked at all three, kept the 2 dirty ones. The one I didn't take was a 1979, the two that I did take however were 1964 half dollars. I've scored a few 40%ers from trays, and one 90%er from a tray before, but never 2 90%ers in the same tray, and it was only out of 3 coins. I asked if they had anything else brought in by the same coustomer, and they had $110 in quarters. Got skunked on the quarters, but hey, 2 90%ers for me is a good day since I do such a low volume. HH everyone, hope you guys are finding some good stuff.

Attachments

• Cp2tb6W.jpg
    Cp2tb6W.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always
Buy
Them
All
...even if they aren't silver...

Seriously. Don't tip them off. That teller thinks they're gross and you leave teh one that they thought was more interesting. Buy all 3.

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Seriously. Don't tip them off. That teller thinks they're gross and you leave teh one that they thought was more interesting. Buy all 3.

I didn't "tip them off." Even if they did think the other 2 were more interesting since I only took those, they have no idea they were silver or even what years they were. Also, I asked for quarters, and only had enough cash on me to pick up the rest of the quarters she had. I know that last half wasnt silver, and thought there might be silver in the quarters. I did what I thought had a better chance at getting more silver. Although it didnt work, I knew forsure the third half wasn't silver and if I had bought it from her, I wouldn't have had enought for the last roll of quarters.

One major thing about this site that is bugging me lately is everyone telling each other how to CRH. Nobody used to do that, even before I started posting on here I would lurk and check out people's finds and would rarely see people telling each other what to do. That is one major reason I don't post on here nearly as often as I have in the past. Everyone thinks they know better than everyone else...just hunt how you want, and don't tell other people what to do.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
if you got a grude against a teller to begin with, then only take 2
if you had a good relation w/the branch, well, then, you shoulda taken all 3. plus, when they accumulate more, you dont know whats-what, when you come to buy their halves.

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
if you got a grude against a teller to begin with, then only take 2
if you had a good relation w/the branch, well, then, you shoulda taken all 3. plus, when they accumulate more, you dont know whats-what, when you come to buy their halves.

Why should I take all three if I only had enough cash to get the quarters plus the 2 1964s that were in her tray? That would mean I would get a roll less of quarters. therefore less of a chance to find silver. I'm going to do it how I want to, people need to stop telling everyone else they are hunting wrong.

I've done things against the "code of CRHing." One of the biggest "no-nos" in CRHing is to pickup coins where you dump coins. I have done that several times and found silver. I'm going to hunt however I want, and if I see a single silver in a teller tray that is full of coins, I will ask for the silver and nothing else. I've done it before, I will do it again. Same with picking up at dump banks. I have a system worked out that works for me. I'm finding silver doing it this way so I will keep doing it this way. I'll probably stop posting on here as well, seems like there has been a lot of shenanigans, and people trying to control how other people hunt lately. It's kind of sad that people cant just congratulate each other anymore and they feel the need to tell each other what to do.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't matter to me, it is for your benefit. You might not score another tray at that branch if they figure out why you wanted the 2 out of 3. HH

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We see all the posts on here about people getting shut off at banks and tellers finding out about silver and then we wonder why.........

Do as you please, don't worry about ruining it for everyone else!

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Theres no way they will know why i picked those two. She didnt know the dates on those two and im sure she not sitting around at home thinking "why did that guy only get 2?!?!" and ive never been cutt off at a bank either...ive been more polite about crhing when it comes to interactions with tellers than most people on here. you should be worried about the people actually getting cutt off. not me for just leaving a single nonsilver half.

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
Wouldn't be real concerned about tipping people off as it seems people are driving near hundreds of miles collecting 25 boxes a week of a rarely used coin. Perhaps that would be a larger tip off

On the other hand I generally buy all they have in the tray. Just me though.

HH

Doc C

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a few different banks today and got skunked at all but one of them. Walked up to the teller window, asked if they had any halves in and she said "I have three but 2 are really dirty." I looked at all three, kept the 2 dirty ones. The one I didn't take was a 1979, the two that I did take however were 1964 half dollars. I've scored a few 40%ers from trays, and one 90%er from a tray before, but never 2 90%ers in the same tray, and it was only out of 3 coins. I asked if they had anything else brought in by the same coustomer, and they had $110 in quarters. Got skunked on the quarters, but hey, 2 90%ers for me is a good day since I do such a low volume. HH everyone, hope you guys are finding some good stuff.
True buy them all!!!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to do it how I want to, people need to stop telling everyone else they are hunting wrong.

I'm going to hunt however I want, and if I see a single silver in a teller tray that is full of coins, I will ask for the silver and nothing else. I've done it before, I will do it again. Same with picking up at dump banks. I have a system worked out that works for me. I'm finding silver doing it this way so I will keep doing it this way.

"Location: 'Murica"

:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

What I'm offering is a word of advice that in the long run benefits you and everyone else. Don't show your hand, just buy them all. Keep it on the DL. You can crh like you want and I can't stop you; only the banks can. But if you post something online and break a long standing and oft heard mantra, expect to hear some people mention it.

It's great you found two, I'd be ecstatic. But, inadvertently, you may damage your chances long term.

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
The sad truth is that most tellers know about the silver now anyways.. Some either just don't care enough to look through it, and some want to help out collectors that come in on a regular basis.. But most are snipers... it's definitely not a secret anymore..
All the banks I went to today asked me "Are you looking for silver?" I did end up finding a 1947 Rosie anyways... The thing that does come to mind is the tellers who actually haven't found out about the silver .. Yet... The same way you found your silver today is the same way I got my 2 1964 teller tray finds.. But I actually called first and had the girl give me all the dates that she had.. When I heard "1964" twice, I said "I'm on my way", then hung up... LOL! I wouldn't do it that way again, but if I hadn't of called and asked for the years, I never would have driven there, especially not for 5 bucks in loose halfs!!
The girl that I called, I still see her quite a bit, she still doesn't have a clue... Lol I guess it's just circumstantial... HH

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Theres no way they will know why i picked those two. She didnt know the dates on those two and im sure she not sitting around at home thinking "why did that guy only get 2?!?!" and ive never been cutt off at a bank either...ive been more polite about crhing when it comes to interactions with tellers than most people on here. you should be worried about the people actually getting cutt off. not me for just leaving a single nonsilver half.

The issue is that the teller may think you like the darker ones, and may pass up on saving you some bright shiny 1964s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread