My Chert Addiction

hbrown22

Jul 23, 2013
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought some containers at Walmart to help organize my porch. May have to buy more. These measure 11x13, 5" deep. The one on the left is large pieces/tools, the right is small thin flakes & scrapers. Also have one with cool rocks and another for fossils. I've noticed I do leave more now, especially if there is no evidence of worked edges. Save some for someone else :). However, if its a pretty color or neat shape, it's mine! The large chert basket is probably 90% artifact, the small chert is maybe 80% artifact. I really need to sort it out. This doesn't include what's in the house. Only the best of the best is in there :)

image-3257351012.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still check the flakes when I find them but instead of taking it home I will leave it so the next time I am walking the field I will find it and then look again for the artifact that should be in the area of the flake. I have most of my broken pieces in a 5 gal bucket with the flakes. I need to go through them to be sure they really are broken and not whole tools. The longer you hunt this type the sooner you know what is what. The other ones are in tub style bowls and the better ones are in Riker frames. Then of course I have baskets, lol

flightline

Sep 7, 2013
I have gotten where I flip every flake I see, as sometimes they turn into a point. here is a pic of one of them flakes (I thought) about the size of my little finger as I turned it over well was I surprised.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130911_172544.png
    ForumRunner_20130911_172544.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20130911_172626.png
    ForumRunner_20130911_172626.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 85

NorCal Gal

Jan 15, 2011
Northern California
The first point I ever found was a beigy chert. It turned out to be a "Berkeley aspect" Houx point. I found it across the field from where I lived in Northern California in an area called "the Laguna de Santa Rosa" which was a HUGE wetlands area that supported over 10,000 local Native American Pomos for thousands of years. It now resides in the Sonoma State University archeology dept.'s collection along with an obsidian "tri-faced" tool I found about a foot away from it that had a perfect "hook" worked into it. So I can understand your "chert addiction"! lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread