Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after the rain all last week in Destin it was an OK trip for diving and fishing! Our regular Boat CPT was out of town for four months so we were given another Boat CPT! :dontknow:

We were diving with NITROX and this Boat CPT brought us out to several different places that was 109-115ft deep! Only problem was our bottom time was only about 15 minutes so we weren't able to get a good look around for Flounder, Black Snapper, and Lobster and the most of what we caught were Lion Fish! :BangHead::BangHead:

First day of the dive one of my buddies caught one Flounder, No other fish were around and there was nothing else big enough to get! :censored::censored::censored:

The deck hand dove with us and when we got out to the bottom he kept hitting his little siren signal, (way to go ZERO), so people would have to keep looking around like WTH is going on and probably why the fish weren't around! :censored::censored: Grant, we were DIRECTLY UNDER THE BOAT at the bottom so it wasn't like we were off in a distance! Then when HIS air got to 1500psi he was calling everyone up to the top and kept hitting his little siren! :censored::censored::censored: Those of us spear fishing came up with with 1300-1400psi still in our tanks! We were P.O'ed!

Last day of the dive someone at the dive shop screwed up the dive reservation made 2 months prior and loaded the boat full with fun divers! We were supposed to have just US Spear Fishers on the boat, so then we had to charter a private boat and the Boat CPT and Deckhand brought us to a location, (115ft down), all we had enough time, (16 minutes), for was gigging 18 Lion Fish because that was all that was on the bottom! I got a Flounder just by chance and gigged another Flounder, but he slipped off my gig pole and got away, slipped under a concrete pilon with a 4" crevice at the sand bottom so it was lost!

Last year when we went diving and spear fishing, (the other guys have gone down there for years and last year was my first), we dove at depths between 50-70ft to the bottom at different locations, and longer bottom times, (30-45minutes), and had gotten plenty of fish and even a couple of lobsters! We were NOT too happy with this dive/spear fishing trip with the screw ups!

I saw a Stingray it's body front to back, (not including the tail), was about 5ft just laying on the bottom! It had a tag on it's back, so someone is monitoring it's movement! I never seen a Stingray that big!

I wouldn't mind coming back down to Florida to spear fish and get lobster again, wish I could go back down next month, but I don't think I want to go back out with the current Dive CPT until the other one comes back that my buddies always used! I might consider going to a different part of Florida!

Well, here are some pictures!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Stingray.JPG
    Stingray.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Group Catch.JPG
    Group Catch.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Me, Cody, Joey, Tanner, and Sean Deck Hand 5.jpg
    Me, Cody, Joey, Tanner, and Sean Deck Hand 5.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Me 1.JPG
    Me 1.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 135

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had some fun. Thank you for the story and SHARING . I just got certified September of 2020 at 74 yo

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar experience in Maui a few years back.. We were to dive in groups, depending on your experience,They kept the people in the same groups according to their level... We were supposed to ascend with 800 lbs left in the tank.

The instructor/guide kept checking our gauges.. as divers reached that magical 800 level, he told them to go up.

Finally it was just me and my son... I still had 1200 when the dive master told us to go up since he was at 800.. When we got up, he asked how would could still have that much air left.. I told him that I had [at that time] 60 years diving experience and I was very comfortable underwater...I still dive, albeit less now... And my depth rarely exceeds 60 feet.. more often 30 -45 feet.... As long as I can dive, I intend to

Micheal

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might like to take a trip to the " Middle Grounds."
CapeseBan : I do not understand "Trip to the middle grounds" can you explain please

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar experience in Maui a few years back.. We were to dive in groups, depending on your experience,They kept the people in the same groups according to their level... We were supposed to ascend with 800 lbs left in the tank.

The instructor/guide kept checking our gauges.. as divers reached that magical 800 level, he told them to go up.

Finally it was just me and my son... I still had 1200 when the dive master told us to go up since he was at 800.. When we got up, he asked how would could still have that much air left.. I told him that I had [at that time] 60 years diving experience and I was very comfortable underwater...I still dive, albeit less now... And my depth rarely exceeds 60 feet.. more often 30 -45 feet.... As long as I can dive, I intend to

Micheal
One of the guys I dive with is an experienced rescue diver and gave me some tips. Breath slowly, comfortably, sloooowly inhale, hold your breath for about 5 seconds, sloooowly exhale and hold for about 5 seconds, inhale sloooowly and hold your breath for about 5 seconds, etc, etc, etc. It takes some practice but after you get used to it you don't use much air than than normal breathing would. I found I could stay at the bottom longer and even surfacing I had more air than everyone else, well except the rescue diver!

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
One of the guys I dive with is an experienced rescue diver and gave me some tips. Breath slowly, comfortably, sloooowly inhale, hold your breath for about 5 seconds, sloooowly exhale and hold for about 5 seconds, inhale sloooowly and hold your breath for about 5 seconds, etc, etc, etc. It takes some practice but after you get used to it you don't use much air than than normal breathing would. I found I could stay at the bottom longer and even surfacing I had more air than everyone else, well except the rescue diver!
NO, NO, NO.. That is a dangerous practice known as " Skip Breathing." Google it !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread