My First 3 Center ... Great Britain Silver 3 Pence in NC!!

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently had to replace my old Garrett GTAx 750 so I bought a new AT Pro. I've only been out a few times trying to learn my new machine: hunted an old field and found a no date buffalo nickle and a 1917 Merc dime, tried a school where I found no silver but 11 quarters, 6 dimes, and 15 pennies. Sunday afternoon I had a couple of hours to kill so I took a drive to check out some land I've had permission to hunt for several years but didn't know if the crop had been harvested yet. At least one large field had been picked where an old house once stood so I stopped there. I've hunted this site many times and have found a few coins and relics. After hunting for about an hour and not finding much more than a few bits of lead and tin I decided to make a couple more passes then leave. Almost at that instance I got a good tone and reading (86) on my Pro showing probable silver. As I dug the target and searched my dirt pile I saw a small coin which I first thought to be a dime. As I checked the small thin coin which had been holed ... I thought maybe this is my first silver 3 cent piece but I couldn't quite make out the detail on the coin (what I could make out just didn't seem to make sense to me). I made a couple more passes and decided to get on home and clean the coin to see what I had. After a good wash with warm soapy water I could now make out the crown, the numeral 3, and the date of 1881 on one side and the word Victoria and the head of a woman on the other. I made a quick check on the Internet and discovered that my first 3 cent piece was actually an 1881 Silver 3 Pence of Great Britain!!! I love this hobby and my new AT PRO!!

Attachments

• 1881ThreePenceFront.jpg
    1881ThreePenceFront.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,268
  • 1881ThreePenceReverse.jpg
    1881ThreePenceReverse.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,284
Upvote 0

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats on your silver 3-center! Cool coin and the first I've seen. Be sure to show us what your new detector finds next. Andi

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doing a happy dance for you here in New York - Congratulations!!!! :headbang: :hello2: :notworthy:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are what my Nan got in her X-Mas pudding :thumbsup:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find! As I often say, you just never know what that next target's gonna be. :icon_thumleft:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good find...I really like those "different" silvers that pop up in unlikely areas. I found a 1/4 Guilder from British Guiana last November which was a bit of a surprise.

OP
OP
JimBeHuntin'

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
g-olden years said:
Congrats on your silver 3-center! Cool coin and the first I've seen. Be sure to show us what your new detector finds next. Andi
Thanks for the comment Andi ... I hope to make many more finds with my new ATPro!
Terry Soloman said:
Doing a happy dance for you here in New York - Congratulations!!!! :headbang: :hello2: :notworthy:
Thanks for the comment Terry!!!
CRUSADER said:
These are what my Nan got in her X-Mas pudding :thumbsup:
Thanks for the comment Crusader!

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
cool find! i have one of those that was made into a love token wich i found hunting a beach a few years back. willy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread