What's new

My first buffalo and a stubborn wheat variety- $35 in pennies, 1 box of nickels

sir

Full Member
Joined
May 29, 2007
Messages
173
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Well yesterdays search was quite exciting.

First off is the box of nickels. At first it seemed there was nothing special, no war nickels or anything of interest other than a 1938 in very good condition. But then i find the Buffalo nickel. What im really surprised about is the fact that this is only my 3rd box. It does not have a date though as do many others but still a great find for me at least.
There was 26 pre 60's.

Then there is the $10 in pennies. The tellers only had $35 yesterday. These were of the white machine roll type.
It yielded 7 wheats oldest being a 1911- it looks as if someone dug it up.

Next is the box of pennies which were of the brown machine roll type. I don't know what company its from and the reason why im talking about the color of the roll is that it seems the white ones do much better. All i can say about the white ones is they come from a company called n.f string and sons. :dontknow: Anybody know what that is.
Well the stubborn variety im talking about is the 1955 s for some reason after going through over half a million in pennies its never showed up and now here it is in mint state.
There was a measly 10 wheats- oldest 1927

Well if my main bank starts to switch over to these brown rolls i don't think im going to see results like before at around 18 wheats a box.

Has anyone here had as much as i have to find a 1955 s?

Also how much does it cost for some nic a date. Is it worth to buy it for one nickel?
 
Upvote 0
I'll bet you were really happy finding the buffalo, even though it is dateless. My first buffalo was dateless and I was very pleased with the find. Keep hitting boxes of nickels and you'll get some more dateless ones. I think I've got 3 of 'em now. Be careful with whatever you do to try to bring the date out. I tried vinegar overnight on mine, and it really dulled the finish and didn't do much about the date. Still unknown year.
 
sir-

nic a date cost about $5 and will last your lifetime.
 
Hello Sir,
Nic-a-date works great. I had a post on here not to long ago with some pics of nickels I used it on. I have some nic-a-date in stock if you need some. Just PM me and we will go from there. Did you get the nickel book filled yet? Get yourself some nic a date and a book for the buffalos and you can put them in the book as you find them.

Great finds and keep searching,
Jason
 
I found several 1955S pennies from two boxes and they are all mint state. I think back then a lot of people were collecting pennies and they hoarded 1955s because they knew their lot mintage. This year a lot of people hoard the lincohn pennies. I bet in another 50 years a lot of mint-state 2009 pennies will show up.
 
Re: My first buffalo and a stubborn wheat variety- $35 in pennies, 1 box of nick

Yinzi50 said:
I found several 1955S pennies from two boxes and they are all mint state. I think back then a lot of people were collecting pennies and they hoarded 1955s because they knew their lot mintage.
It actually was widely hoarded i believe because it was to be the last sanfran coin minted for circulation. But as we all know about a decade later it was proven not to be so. When i found that wheat i knew that was the reason why it looked like it was struck yesterday.
 
sir said:
All i can say about the white ones is they come from a company called n.f string and sons. :dontknow: Anybody know what that is.

N.F.String and Sons is relly just the company who prints the wrapper, Around here Loomis uses them.

Mojo
 
I used nic-a-date on about 110 nickels and can tell ya the best trick is not to put a drop of it on the coin. Put some on a q-tip and dab it just a little and rub it back and forth. Might have to rinse it off once or twice and it may take just a few minutes longer but it leaves a less corrosive look.
 
Re: My first buffalo and a stubborn wheat variety- $35 in pennies, 1 box of nick

Just got nic a date today. I went to some coin store i once passed by and paid 5 dollars for it, exactly as much tx tim said it would cost. Put it on the nickel and immediately in around 5 seconds the date appears. Turns out it was a 1916, quite old.
The guy who i bought it from also suggested i apply it to the entire front face, to give it an even tone. Has anyone here ever heard this tip? I only applied to the date but the bright spot it left really does stick out.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom