Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently secured permission to detect at an old property dating back to the late 1600's. The large brick house, which was torn down in the late 1800's, was 200+ feet long which included a center portion of the house and two wing structures. This large house spanned a high ridge overlooking a river and also sloped down at either side of the wings towards two creeks. The plantation belonged to a very prominent Virginian leading up to and during the Revolution so I had high hopes to come away with some great finds including some old silver coins. I invited Bill D. to join me on Saturday with the hope that we could potentially find some colonial trash pits as well.

Well, the metal finds were basically non existent so Bill broke out the probe and sifter and we headed over to one of the slopes next to where the kitchen building was and after a couple of probes Bill was pretty certain we had hit a trash pit. I was a little hesitant of digging a large hole so we decided to just open up a small one and see what we would find. Bill dug while I sifted and it didn't take long to start pulling out wine bottle bases and necks, pipe stems, pottery and oyster shells. I was stoked since digging a colonial trash pit has been on my mind since Bill pulled out some awesome bottle seals from a pit at one of his sites last year.

The finds below are from a very tiny portion of this trash pit and thanks to a friendly groundhog who pulled wine bottle fragments from another trash pit across the field, we are certain there are numerous on the property. Hopefully we can get permission to open up more ground and hopefully find a whole onion bottle and other colonial goodies. Thanks for looking!

mar22013c.jpg mar22013a.jpg mar22013m.jpg mar22013d.jpg

mar22013e.jpg mar22013g.jpg mar22013i.jpg mar22013j.jpg

mar22013l.jpg mar22013f.jpg mar22013h.jpg mar22013k.jpg

Upvote 4
Joey - thanks again for the invite, and congrats for getting into your first colonial pit. I was quite impressed with the quantity of artifacts that came from that one small test hole. That whole area should be loaded with quality artifacts, with a high probability of early bottle seals due to the fact that a prominent person lived there and likely did a lot of entertainment. Hope we get the opportunity to make a return visit soon. And I guess we should thank our animal friend who came through for us and gave us that bonus pit. Had a great time and look forward to getting together soon ..... Bill

If you need some help from a fellow Virginian..Chesterfield..let me know!

Nice work!

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Tapatalk

Joey I'd be like a kid in a candy store! Get that permission to dig it up wider and the finds will come man great stuff. Even smarter enlisting Bill the colonial gopher!

Wow it looks like that pit is loaded, and it is OLD!! Good luck on your next dig, I feel confident you will get some bottle seals.

Joey I'd be like a kid in a candy store! Get that permission to dig it up wider and the finds will come man great stuff. Even smarter enlisting Bill the colonial gopher!

I'm praying the owner will agree to let us dig it out and I agree, Bill was the right man for the job and he was free!!

Wow it looks like that pit is loaded, and it is OLD!! Good luck on your next dig, I feel confident you will get some bottle seals.

I hope so Steve. Bottle seals from a prominent figure is high on my list and would look great in a display case!

Wow. Looks like a beaver tooth in there, too

I'm pretty sure those are tusks from a wild boar which the colonists brought over from England. Due to overhunting, they no longer run wild here though there have been some recent sightings......

Last edited:
No kidding - was hard for me to see the scale I guess

Cool digs.that place looks real promising. Way to go.

Im gonna say they are groundhog teeth...one upper and one lower. I gathered up a few of them when I was a kid.

The fact they were found with other animal bones, the assumption was that they were boar tusks but I can certainly see where they could be groundhog teeth since those came from a groundhog hole...lol!

Congrats on your first pit dig, a resounding success. Bill's definitely the man for the job. Cant wait to see what else you guys unearth.
-Ev

The fact they were found with other animal bones, the assumption was that they were boar tusks but I can certainly see where they could be groundhog teeth since those came from a groundhog hole...lol!

Joey is correct as tusks, claws, jawbones and other parts of wild boar carcasses are typically found in colonial era pits. They were a staple in early diets as were oysters. One of my reference books mentioned that the average early settler living in the Tidewater area of Virginia would typically consume 40-50 bushels of oysters annually. No wonder their life span was so short.

That would be a dream come true for me . A trash pit that old would be a high point for sure.:notworthy:

I know you had fun, great job!

Those are boar tusks for sure, not teeth (but actually tusks are kinda teeth just made of ivory). Here in Louisiana we are over run with hogs. I see them regularly deer hunting. Actually legal to hunt at night here with spotlight. Great finds Joey and Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back