Doc Arey

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2011
Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a Ball Park in my Community that go's back to the 1950's and over the years I have dug the heck out of it. I was there digging my 2000th pull tab when it hit me that maybe I needed to give the tabs a break. I looked across the road and noted a house that I had always longed to swing the detector over and made the brave decision to do that very first door knock. After all I have seen the success others on this forum have had with it and told my self that I was going to march across the road and Knock on that Door! I had just seen a truck pull in so I knew someone was home.
Going across the road with all my gear a tow I marched up to the door and Knocked. After a few longs seconds the door opened and a Very Drunk man answered With a curt Who are you? I replied that I was a local Guy and my Hobby was Metal Detecting and I enjoyed recovering local history. He replied with "At least you Got Nerve enough to ask" and said go ahead. I did and he watched me very carefully for a while and replied "show me what you found before you leave". The yard was trashy but I soon found a Lincoln cent and a nice Hot wheels car. He appeared out of nowhere and wanted to see what I found and I pulled them out of my Garrett Pouch and handed them to him. He retained the Hot Wheel and handed the penny back. I thought he just wanted to look it over so I kept swinging and soon had another hot Wheel car in the bag. Again the showed up and wanted to know what I had in the bag and again I handed him a Hot wheel and another Lincoln which he stuck in his pocked saying "whatever is in my yard is mine and I want to see what's in that pouch before you leave"' I looked at him I guess with some surprise and replied that your yard has too much junk in it and I was leaving NOW! I preceded to start across the yard and he replied "I want to see what you got in that pouch before you leave!" Well those of you who use this Garrett Pouch know that it has a second zipper pocket for you to put the good stuff in and the junk go's the large pouch. Well I had a Silver Dime and a three ringer in the small pouch that I had found earlier I didn't want this idiot to think was his so I just unbuckled the pouch belt and preceded to dump all the junk I had collected on his yard and said "Here you Go" and started across the road. As I crossed the center of the road he Hollered "Yea, What the Hell do you GOT in your pockets"? I just keep walking shook my head and under my breath said Damn Drunks anyway. Its got to get better.
:dontknow:

Upvote 23

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all honesty you got the worst door knock in your life out of the way most likely. It can only get better from here.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean you couldn't tell he wasn't one to go ask? Shoulda been able to tell by the way he drove over the curb, the trashcan, the cat and bounced off the garage door when he pulled in. Did you check the side of your car? LOL :tongue3:

Believe it or not, your next knock will be much easier now. Doesn't matter the results. But, make some sort of agreement before you dig. After all, if someone came to my house to dig for treasure, and I let him, AND he found some! Well, I would not be just letting him walk away without sharing. Ya know? It is HIS house. If they say you keep all the historic relics but they keep all the gold/silver/diamonds/doubloons.....keep walking. ;)

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any "no" would have been better for you than that situation. After you get used to asking and seeing folks' reactions, you will get better at reading them and have an idea what to expect. It will get easier and your finds will be more interesting.............just keep asking!!

Last edited:

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did the end of the story disappear?

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry your first door knock went like that...but it does make for a funny story :) I have only knocked on 5 doors and did have 2 of them say yes. I hope you get the nerve up to knock on a couple more homes because I believe that is where the good stuff is. I am picturing this drunk man looking like "cousin Eddie" from Christmas Vacation and can't stop smiling. "shi%#ers full Clark"
Thanks for posting this as I am sure not all door knocks go well

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who knows if you kept going you could have found that gold ring
WITH HIS WIFE STILL ATTACHED... LOL most people I would think would not be like that sorry don't give up cause of one XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on getting out.
And on getting out of your comfort zone and seeking an old yard permission.
Never know ,sometimes pull tabs ain't the worst thing to deal with, unless some one emptying too many beer cans is near..:laughing7:

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You handled it well. **** him!

Keep grinding...

Knock on the neighbors door and tell them they're a lot more friendlier than the guy with the truck over there. They'll probably get a good laugh out of it and say hunt away. :laughing7:

Last edited:

OcdChaos

Dec 29, 2016
The South
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best part was you dumping the junk back onto his yard. Lol, well done.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If it were me, I'd have let him have his way with the first HotWheels. However, if he wanted to keep the 2nd, I'd have snatched it back reminding him who did the work - that this has to be at least a 50-50 deal here - that I don't work for him and I don't work for free. THEN I would have stormed off! :laughing7:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never run across a bad situation like that one. Maybe he will be your one and only bad encounter, and you now have him out of your way. Most people are pleasant, and if they want to see your finds, they are not obnoxious about it. Dont let it discourage you from door knocking. Many of my best finds have come out of someones yard.

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably the worst situation next will be great i,m am sure. I notice older people are more friendly when you ask, some don't even want to see what you find.One place i had the permission and i guy came right after me( was there fro an hour) let the car,s door open he said leave right away.. I told him i had the permission he said i know, but leave....Most of the time people are kind and enthusiasm.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I haven't hit the point where I felt the need to door knock last year but was going to do it this year. I'm glad you posted this because I'm going to keep it in the back of my mind as a "well, it could have been worse" scenario (unless I meet Norman Bates [emoji88]).

You can't argue stupid Doc. Well played dumping the junk and walking away.

Coach Stack

Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
AT Pro Pointer
Kelllyco Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one else thought of this? LOL
Pockets.png