My First Ever 1724 Woods Hibernia Copper - BUT

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately it is severely corroded. >:( I am not sure if I will try to bring out more detail or work to see if it is a 1724, although I strongly suspect it is. (Update, it is a 1724, further cleaning revealed a 4) I am not totally sure of the composition of Woods Hibernia's, but the Irish considered them substandard coins, so I am assuming they must have a mix of zinc and/or tin in them like Rosa Americana coins do which makes the possibility of finding one of these in great shape much less. Just think on a Zinc penny being in the ground for over 250 years!

I was hoping the signal, which I knew was a coin would be my 100th Large Cent, but on the Explorer XS the Crosshair location and the tone was just slightly lower than it should have been. When I first dug the coin I thought upon retrieval it was a button, then upon further review I thought for sure it was a Half Cent, due to the size. I never entertained the thought that it would be my first Woods Hibernia!

Before I quit hunting I was able to make out the letters GIUS*DE So I new then it was not a Half Cent but had no idea what it was till I got home and started the cleaning process.

Once I saw the bust and the rest of the lettering on the front, I did a brief search on the more less common British coins found here and went to my Irish coin site and there it was, a Woods Hibernia, perfect match, and after some more cleaning I was able to determine is a 1723 or 1724 Type II Woods Hibernia Halfpenny. I based that on the placement of the Harp, which I could barely see.

Overall, very elated at finding a new type of coin and of course disappointed on the condition, but it will be a nice addition to my collection.

While I was hunting at this site, I spotted a big area under a tree that was full of fresh bird droppings. Knowing that a few years ago an Bald Eagle nest was found by my son and I , I looked up and there was a brand new Eagle Nest! The one found a few years ago by us and reported to the state, has since been abandoned and fell apart, it was located about 100 yards away from this tree. This pine tree is much more substantial and I hope the nesting is successful this year. I did not see the Eagles on this trip.

I included a photo of what a Woods Hibernia SHOULD look like :) along with a few of mine and where found, one of the coin fizzing away in Peroxide, and of course the Eagle's nest......

HH

Don

Attachments

• HiberniaSite.jpg
    HiberniaSite.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 627
  • dirtycoin.jpg
    dirtycoin.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 632
  • George combined dirty.jpg
    George combined dirty.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 631
  • Fizzin away.jpg
    Fizzin away.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 634
  • WoodHibernia.jpg
    WoodHibernia.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 621
  • 1723WoodsHiberniaTypeII.jpg
    1723WoodsHiberniaTypeII.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 626
  • eagle nest.jpg
    eagle nest.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 608
Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Re: My First Ever 1723-24 Woods Hibernia Copper - BUT

Wow!
Nice find!!!!

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

Great find Don. You sure are kicking butt in those woods. Wish I had that luck but maybe my day will come soon.

Congrats!

Funkman

9volt

Nov 2, 2006
south carolina
Detector(s) used
Explorer.SE

sure wish i could break into the 1700s ...oldest thing i got is 1834 large cent...way to go man ;D ;D

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Don: You are the "Colonial" Man! How about some Pics of all your Finds?

HH

Joe

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II

Brilliant find(s if you count the nest)!!!!

Have fun,
Salvager

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dgaughan said:
damn don you are 1 nice run of luck with these coins congrats and hh

dylan

I also have many hunts with not much luck at all! Except to say I got some good exercise in! :)

I only got two keepers yesterday, the other item was an musketball. I did cherry pick yesterday, meaning I was not digging many targets, since I was concentrating on getting that Large Cent that has now evaded me for 4 hunts in a row in areas that should produce one. But I figured that would happen, but I will take any 1700's coin in place of a Large Cent anyday....

HH

Don

donny nj

Jan 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find don........wtg

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
WTG! You have that nice sandy soil by you. You dont need a chisel like we do here!

Nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions