What's new

My first ever artifact find

Wes213

Full Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2016
Messages
136
Reaction score
264
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this two summers ago while mountain biking. I was going a steep hill when my back wheel slipped out from under me and I hit the dirt. It was the day after a big rain so everything was slick. I was on the ground wiping the mud off my arms when I saw this Quartz rock that looked funny to me. It was laying flat side down, when I turn it over and brushed it off I knew that I had found something special. Ever since then I have been addicted. I am still not entirely sure what it is. I think it might be a thumb scrapper as it has a channel down the center? IMG_0316.webpIMG_1892.webpIMG_1893.webpIMG_1894.webp
 
Upvote 0
Always a tough call with quartz pieces 'cause you can't see the flaking as easily as you can with flint/chert, but it sure looks like something in general outline.
 
nice i love quartz stuff like sandchip said its hard to see the details in a photo but i can tell thats a nice piece have you looked in that spot where you found it again probably more there
 
Nice find looks like it was pretty big before the break maybe a knife ?....I haven't seen many pics of fluted Quartz deff interesting what state did you find it in?
 
Cool- start looking at the base of that hill where stuff may have slid down over time....

I've found a lot of obsidian flakes that way.
 
Nice find looks like it was pretty big before the break maybe a knife ?....I haven't seen many pics of fluted Quartz deff interesting what state did you find it in?

I am in southeast Georgia. I have found a good amount of points and pottery in the same area. It is littered with Quartz chips too.
 
I am in southeast Georgia. I have found a good amount of points and pottery in the same area. It is littered with Quartz chips too.

Its probably a quarry site
 
Go look for the other piece!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom