MY FIRST EVER POST OF A FIND WORTH THOUSANDS AND I HAVE TO GIVE IT BACK

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 4 wallets in the last three years and have returned all of them. One of them was on the ground in a parking lot of a small deli/package store. I opened it and could see there was easily four to five hundred+ dollars several credit cards etc. I looked at the license and it belonged to a woman that lived about 2 miles away. I drove to her house, knocked on her door she opened the door and I said "hi, I think you lost this at the deli". This is exactly what she said after looking to make sure the cash was still in it: "Oh good, my husband would have killed me" and then she closed the door in my face!! Not that I wanted a reward or anything, I would have refused it but a thank you would have been nice. I had thoughts afterword that I should have kept it but that's just not me. This woman lived in a million dollar house and I was driving an old beat up pickup truck. I have instilled this lesson in my 13 year old sons head. If you find something that's not yours and you can find the owner then you have to return it. It seems to have worked because just a few months back he spotted a wallet in the middle of the road, we picked it up, it didn't have any cash but did have several credit cards license etc, my son couldn't wait to return it. We looked at the address, drove to the house but unfortunately nobody was home. We brought it to the police station, they took it and my sons name and number. They said they would return it and inform the owner that a very honest 13 year old returned it and that they would give him our number. Guess what? Not even a telephone call, but I know if the same thing happened again, he would do the same thing. Rich in CT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread