Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cybercop106 said:
Oops..... you misunderstood me Buckles.  I meant why discourage people from expressing appreciation for someone doing something positive.  And I never said YOU were cynical, I just said there's already enough cynicism in the world, meaning positive reinforcement and recognition tend to push back the negativity a little. 
Having done police work for almost two decades I can't quite agree 'most' people would do the right thing tho.............
I'd be surprised if more than half of them did...................
But then again, about some things experiences have made me a little cynical...............   ;D     

No problem, Cybercop. 

"I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided; and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging of the future but by the past."

-Patrick Henry

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont see anyting wrong with sharing the experience of doing the right thing on here it is wonderful that a person did something that made them or someone else feel good and why not share it, it could make someone else feel pretty good to. And with the way things are in the world I vote make as many people feel good as often as you can! :icon_sunny:

I dig it

Jan 16, 2009
Vancouver,Washington
Detector(s) used
fisher F2 , Minelabs Quattro mp, Whites 6000
BuckleBoy said:
I dig it said:
I found a wallet once and called the lady who owned it told her I found it gave her my address and said you can come pick it up , the cops arrived not long after I hung up and seems she told them I was unwilling to deliver it to her house can you believe that crap, so My rule of thumb today is i will walk right by and not pick it up, let some other dummy do it

Now that's silly!

Of COURSE a lady wouldn't come to a Strange Man's House! What planet do you live on? You should've seen the good deed through to the finish and not only picked up the wallet but also brought it to her house/stuck it in her mailbox with a note/left it with the police. Duh!

Now--in terms of this post, Anybody who finds something like this should return it. Do we need pats on the back here? In that case, I will not offer my praise to you. It's just the Right Thing To Do. Plain and simple. No need to belabor it with 40 more replies.

Regards,

Buckles
well if thats the case why do you need to point your finger (No need to belabor it with 40 more replies.)
In those days I had nothing , no silver spoon in my mouth like so many I grew up with I was in no position to drive 4 hours out of my way to do a double good deed . I did the right thing if you can;t see that then thats your problem

I dig it

Jan 16, 2009
Vancouver,Washington
Detector(s) used
know matter where you go there is always someone who is the self appointed expert and they are on this forum too it's sad , when folks post good deeds there is always always someone to put you down because they know it all been there done that , I see it every day Mr&Mrs. know it all , my best guess .
well have a great day Mr.&Mrs know it all.

I think they are trying to impress everyone with their Psychological ability .
Well I for 1 am not impressed

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig it said:
well if thats the case why do you need to point your finger (No need to belabor it with 40 more replies.)
In those days I had nothing , no silver spoon in my mouth like so many I grew up with I was in no position to drive 4 hours out of my way to do a double good deed . I did the right thing if you can;t see that then thats your problem

Closest police station was 4 hours away?   :D  You could've dropped it in the Mail with a note.  All I'm saying is that you went about it the wrong way, then you complain about the outcome.  I don't pity you.  Your economic situation has Nothing to do with your ability to pay for a postage stamp. 

Fact of the matter is, you had a bad experience and now you'd rather call folks that want to do a good deed "dummies."  (Your words, Not mine.)  Do you think the original poster of this thread is a "dummy" too?  

I dig it

Jan 16, 2009
Vancouver,Washington
Detector(s) used
I said my piece (No need to belabor it with 40 more replies.)
get over it , it happened over 40 years ago.
move on, find someone else to badger.

panelman

Mar 2, 2008
Northern WI.
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV / Garrett GTI 2500
Ya done good!
In 1969 ( I was 9) my dad had a gas station and a man who was very drunk dropped a $100.00 bill. I thought about keeping it but did not. My consience is the better for it.

I dig it

Jan 16, 2009
Vancouver,Washington
Detector(s) used
My father used to always say (If you haven't got anything nice to say keep it to yourself)

too bad so many can't do that in this day and age

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig it said:
I said my piece (No need to belabor it with 40 more replies.)
get over it , it happened over 40 years ago.
move on, find someone else to badger.

I dig it said:
My father used to always say (If you haven't got anything nice to say keep it to yourself)

too bad so many can't do that in this day and age

No, obviously you didn't.  :wink:

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Cybercop106 said:
It's the right thing to do, but obviously not everyone does it, so why do pats on the back hurt anything for being one of the good people.

It also reinforces and supports the positive behavior, and gives us hope that maybe more people are good than bad, making us feel better about things in general.

There's enough cynicism in the world, it's good to discuss and recognize those things that take our mind off that.

You don't have to get involved if you don't feel like it's a worthy endeavor Buckles, but why try to discourage those who do?

The first part of your post was an excellent observation BTW...............

You misunderstand. I am not discouraging the Action--what I am discouraging is the Value System that places more Value on what Strangers on an Online Forum think about doing the Right Thing than the Value the person puts on it themselves. I am not cynical--in fact, I am an Optimist! I believe that Most people in the world would do what the poster of this thread did. And since most would've done the same, then this type might seem unnecessary--so I figure that it was perhaps written for other reasons. After all, it is only the few bad apples that spoil the lot.

There are some who do Good Deeds because they know that they're the right thing to do, and there are some who do Good Deeds for Praise.

Just the same way that there are those that donate a few thousand dollars to charity in order to have a fancy dinner and their name in lights in front of an audience. And then there are the folks that drop an anonymous wad of money in a Salvation Army pot at Christmas time. The deed is the same. The motivation is quite different.

Now on the other hand, you do have a good point about promoting and supporting positive behavior. And posts like these are probably good for our hobby in the long run--since this is an open, public forum that anyone can see.

Best Wishes,
Buckles

I understand your point.

Similar to "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

compared to proselytizing, seeking attention, and posturing as 'holier than thou'.

The OP shared a wonderful personal experience he felt was important to him. Good food for thought.

Different strokes; no one is being criticized here. :thumbsup:

Dustin V3

Oct 19, 2008
Farragut, Tennessee USA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3
mickk said:
Theres one lucky boy out there, we are a nation of thieves descended from convicts, anyone else would have swiped the cash and chucked the bag.

I was thinking this took place in the States before you mentioned 'good memories of Aussie'.

You take what's coming to you and you've got a lot of good coming your way from this one.

High Five. Good Job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread