Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God Bless You a Very, Very Good deed! May you be blessed with many wonderful finds! and

WELCOME TO T-NET!

Your gonna do great here!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
As you said Mickk, the tourist will have warm fuzzies, spread the good word, and fortune will smile on you.
:thumbsup:

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
I did something similar while I was in Perth in August...

Some guy left his wallet at Scarborough beach.. It had bank cards and about AU$20 and a drivers license.

I went to the Observation Tower hotel and gave it to the concierge, who looked the guy's phone number up and left a message.

This case was the tourist returning an item to a local...

Alan

OP
OP
mickk

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
WOW thanks everyone for the nice words! You were close mate its "fair dinkum", it means really? true? no joking, honest to God! etc.

It was money for a car which had just some out of the bank. As it was not "loose change" to this bloke, I happily knocked back a reward and under sufferance, accepted a slab of Coronas to drink.

I agree with all of you, its just nice to do the right thing in this world. No one likes being hit by the bad Karma Bus. I prefer to get a free ticket if I can lol.

I have been in here for a few years. I sometimes post in the ID section if I think I can help, but still havent bought a detector. Its a time thing, I dont have any atm.

I get my fix by watching "Time Team" which is shown here twice a week. I love that show. Growing up I used to read all the buried treasure books, but never really understood that the Aboriginies didnt build or own anything, so "I dug a hole dad" and all I ever found was bits of the willow pattern china that infests the world. The oldest manufactured thing you will find here would be about 1778. How I envy this broze/stone/saxon/norman etc etc stuff thats in other parts of the world.

There are the people that are making a huge killing detecting with the Minelab gear for gold. They find more than you can imagine. Its hard to get stories of whats been found where, for obvious reasons, but stone deaf one eyed half blind fools detect gold on the old fields in Australia. Believe it or not, most is stuff that fell out of the wheel barrow when gold was basically lying on the ground in the 1840s-1850s, or where trees have been removed or roads built. People follow road gangs, telstra cable diggers, well sinkers and the rest like vultures. Plus it seems each year there is a model that goes deeper. What the heck do you do if you have a detector that detects to 20 metres!!!! it will come.

Thanks again everyone.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What goes around comes around!

Keep up the deeds and your nose in the dirt. :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well doing the right thing is a reward in its self -- you can feel good for llife that you did the right thing.

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good on ya Mick :thumbsup:
"Do unto others............."
We know you're not all bad over there, especially as 11% of Kiwis now reside in your Great Southern Land ;D
Cheers, Mike

OP
OP
mickk

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
trikikiwi said:
Good on ya Mick :thumbsup:
"Do unto others............."
We know you're not all bad over there, especially as 11% of Kiwis now reside in your Great Southern Land ;D
Cheers, Mike

Good job one of those 11% didnt find it then! :P

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig it said:
I found a wallet once and called the lady who owned it told her I found it gave her my address and said you can come pick it up , the cops arrived not long after I hung up and seems she told them I was unwilling to deliver it to her house can you believe that crap, so My rule of thumb today is i will walk right by and not pick it up, let some other dummy do it

Awe....there was a mis-communication there....You still had good intentions...maybe she was elderly and misunderstood you?

I dig it

Jan 16, 2009
Vancouver,Washington
Detector(s) used
fisher F2 , Minelabs Quattro mp, Whites 6000
Michelle said:
I dig it said:
I found a wallet once and called the lady who owned it told her I found it gave her my address and said you can come pick it up , the cops arrived not long after I hung up and seems she told them I was unwilling to deliver it to her house can you believe that crap, so My rule of thumb today is i will walk right by and not pick it up, let some other dummy do it

Awe....there was a mis-communication there....You still had good intentions...maybe she was elderly and misunderstood you?
what breed of dog is that in your avitar

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thing you did Mickk!! I've returned a number of items found while detecting, ATVing, hiking, biking and fishing, including a girl's diamond engagement ring. While doing policework I found a lot of personal items and returned them, including purses and wallets full of cash. Fully half the people acted like inconsiderate jerks.
Sometimes people don't appreciate it, but we aren't doing it for their benefit or for how they react I dig it ; we're doing it for our own self-respect and peace of mind. Don't let other people determine your perspective buddy! The only thing that matters is what YOU see in the mirror!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig it said:

Now that's silly!

Of COURSE a lady wouldn't come to a Strange Man's House! What planet do you live on? You should've seen the good deed through to the finish and not only picked up the wallet but also brought it to her house/stuck it in her mailbox with a note/left it with the police. Duh!

Now--in terms of this post, Anybody who finds something like this should return it. Do we need pats on the back here? In that case, I will not offer my praise to you. It's just the Right Thing To Do. Plain and simple. No need to belabor it with 40 more replies.

Regards,

Buckles

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the right thing to do, but obviously not everyone does it, so why do pats on the back hurt anything for being one of the good people.

It also reinforces and supports the positive behavior, and gives us hope that maybe more people are good than bad, making us feel better about things in general.

There's enough cynicism in the world, it's good to discuss and recognize those things that take our mind off that.

You don't have to get involved if you don't feel like it's a worthy endeavor Buckles, but why try to discourage those who do?

The first part of your post was an excellent observation BTW...............

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a woman if a man called me and told me to come to his house and pick it up I would have had my husband do it or call the police to do it! Should have looked her up in phone book called and asked how she would feel comfortable with the return .... give to police, bring it to her, her come with someone or send someone to get it, or meet where ever. How does she know she lost it and that you did not steal it!
I found a wallet down the street from where I live it belonged to the garage apt. right there so I walked up and knocked the door opens 2 inches and the smell of pot comes rolling out I say your bifold? He grabs it and slammed the door and locked the locks (you could hear them) no thank you kiss my .. but, I know I still did the right thing! And my daughter was with me (I didn't take her up the stairs) but, I showed her the right thing!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cybercop106 said:
It's the right thing to do, but obviously not everyone does it, so why do pats on the back hurt anything for being one of the good people. 

It also reinforces and supports the positive behavior, and gives us hope that maybe more people are good than bad, making us feel better about things in general.   

There's enough cynicism in the world, it's good to discuss and recognize those things that take our mind off that.   

You don't have to get involved if you don't feel like it's a worthy endeavor Buckles, but why try to discourage those who do?  

The first part of your post was an excellent observation BTW...............

You misunderstand.  I am not discouraging the Action--what I am discouraging is the Value System that places more Value on what Strangers on an Online Forum think about doing the Right Thing than the Value the person puts on it themselves.  I am not cynical--in fact, I am an Optimist!  I believe that Most people in the world would do what the poster of this thread did.  And since most would've done the same, then this type might seem unnecessary--so I figure that it was perhaps written for other reasons.  After all, it is only the few bad apples that spoil the lot. 

There are some who do Good Deeds because they know that they're the right thing to do, and there are some who do Good Deeds for Praise. 

Just the same way that there are those that donate a few thousand dollars to charity in order to have a fancy dinner and their name in lights in front of an audience.  And then there are the folks that drop an anonymous wad of money in a Salvation Army pot at Christmas time.  The deed is the same.  The motivation is quite different.

Now on the other hand, you do have a good point about promoting and supporting positive behavior.  And posts like these are probably good for our hobby in the long run--since this is an open, public forum that anyone can see.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops..... you misunderstood me Buckles. I meant why discourage people from expressing appreciation for someone doing something positive. And I never said YOU were cynical, I just said there's already enough cynicism in the world, meaning positive reinforcement and recognition tend to push back the negativity a little.
Having done police work for almost two decades I can't quite agree 'most' people would do the right thing tho.............
I'd be surprised if more than half of them did...................
But then again, about some things experiences have made me a little cynical............... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread