My First Flying Eagle Cent, More Injuns, And Of Course, Spoons!

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Friends.

I sprinted out the door after work today so I could squeeze in a determined two-hour hunt at the "Spoon Graveyard," which for those of you who don't know, is this nice old cellar hole area I've been working that's been producing lots of old coins, relics, and as you may have guessed, TONS of old spoons. Today I found half of a silver-teaspoon, bringing this one site's spoon total up to 8.5 in just a few hunts.

But enough about spoons; today's highlight was my first Flying Eagle Cent, an 1858. It was pretty toasty, I must admit, and the nickel content in it made it turn thick red like those old V Nickels and Buffalos you see. So I tried the vinegar and salt method to try and salvage some detail, but it's still pretty rough. You can't make out the date in the pics but in the flesh it's visible to the eye. Iffy condition or not, I was still pretty thrilled to find it.

I also nabbed:

• Two Indian Heads (seven total for this site) -- an 1865 (my second-oldest after my 1863) and an 1884 in pretty nice shape
  • 1918 Wheatie
  • Two knives -- an antique wood-handled pocketknife (second from this site) and just the handle of a larger table/carving knife, as well as another pocketknife fragment
  • Silver-plated spoon half as mentioned above
  • Horseshoe
  • Miscellaneous green whatsits and the ever-present shotgun shells

As long as this spot keeps producing like this, I'll keep digging, and will keep you posted. Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Attachments

• Flying Eagle 01 both.jpg
    Flying Eagle 01 both.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,165
  • IH_Two_both.jpg
    IH_Two_both.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,172
  • Wheat_1918_both.jpg
    Wheat_1918_both.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,169
  • Knives 01.jpg
    Knives 01.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,190
  • Spoon_05_both.jpg
    Spoon_05_both.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,170
  • Horseshoe_01.jpg
    Horseshoe_01.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,162
  • Misc_01a.jpg
    Misc_01a.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,160
Upvote 0
Brendan,

That looks like one great site you have there. Hope you hit some old silver soon to add to the finds. Good Hunting to ya!!

carolinachief said:
Brendan,

That looks like one great site you have there. Hope you hit some old silver soon to add to the finds. Good Hunting to ya!!

Thanks. The oldest silver I've found there is a 1918 Merc, and I'm sure there's more to be found....

Thanks 1960Texan, Kiros32, Moonshadow, and Halfdime for the congrats!

Let me be the first to welcome you to the club, I hear the Eagle penny club is even more exclusive than the LC club. Nice digs, keep it up !!!

Attachments

• 1st eagle penny.jpg
    1st eagle penny.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 926
  • 1st eagle penny.jpg
    1st eagle penny.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 925
gold fish said:
Let me be the first to welcome you to the club, I hear the Eagle penny club is even more exclusive than the LC club. Nice digs, keep it up !!!

Nice! Do we get a secret handshake? ;)

That Eagle of yours is in pretty good shape. Sweet.

Cheers,
B

Wow,

You've been scoring quite a bit of nice old finds from that site. I think if you pound it hard enough, you will soon find a silver coin or two. Major congrats on the Flying Eagle. They are very elusive coins.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Congrats on the flying eagle. You have a nice site there...keep them coming.

NJ

Captn_SE said:
Wow,

You've been scoring quite a bit of nice old finds from that site. I think if you pound it hard enough, you will soon find a silver coin or two. Major congrats on the Flying Eagle. They are very elusive coins.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

The only silver (in just four hunts) was a 1918 Merc in nice shape. So far not bad.

Thanks for the congrats!

The flying Eagle is my most favorite coin of all times!!! That is really nice.

All your stuff is really good stuff.

mastereagle22 said:
The flying Eagle is my most favorite coin of all times!!! That is really nice.

All your stuff is really good stuff.

Thanks bud!

Cheers and HH,
B

You'd think with 42+ million minted, F/Es would be more plentiful. They must self destruct in some soils?! Good finds!

GREAT JOB FELLOW LONG ISLANDER -- 1 QUESTION NASSAU OR SUFFOLK SECOND QUESTION HOW DID U DIG I BROKE MY SHOVEL TODAY(THE ONE KELLYCO GIVES U }ONLY 40S HERE IN SUFFOLK WARMER BY U MAYBE?LOL KEEP IT UP MAKE US PROUD CHRIS

BARGuy said:
You'd think with 42+ million minted, F/Es would be more plentiful. They must self destruct in some soils?! Good finds!

And what's even more amazing is how you can buy ones in pristine condition on eBay for just a few bucks. Either lots never really circulated around, and/or like you said many of the ones in the ground disintegrated. I mean, in general the soil at my spot seems pretty kind -- I've actually dug some nice Indians, which is a real rarity on Long Island, where the soil generally devours copper -- but this Eagle as you can see came up in pretty rough shape. It gave off an odd signal too -- more nickel than penny, I guess because of its nickel content -- so maybe anyone out there who doesn't frequently dig up those nickel/pulltab signals is passing over some Eagles too. Just a thought...

Thanks for the congrats.

Cheers,
B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back