What's new

My first George II

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2007
Messages
7,253
Reaction score
8,542
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Central Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm working up in Maine for a couple of weeks and have the weekend off. So I start looking for a hunting spot.

No luck on the Maine forum so I say to myself, "Self, lets Geocache a spot."

So, that's what I did. I logged into my Geocaching account and started narrowing down public access foot trails in southern Maine.

I finally came across what looked like a nice quiet walk in the woods, where hunting by permit is allowed, so I figure metal detecting should be no problem. It was a Land Trust trail, and out of the way, so off I went.

I was finding all the usual suspects, little bits of wire, shotgun casings (one was really old) a couple of Lincoln's, the usual junk.

Then I hit a really solid coin. It was ringing up as a dime, 4" deep on my GTI.

4" down and nope, not a dime- but my first ever George II.

Needless to say, I'm ecstatic. It's my oldest dirt fishing coin so far.

Thanks Maine!

The left side says GEORGIUS and the right says II REX

Reverse is almost completely smooth.

From what I can find, it looks like a 1744 farthing, old head because of the wavy pony tail, made of copper.

Screen Shot 2015-06-13 at 4.00.54 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2015-06-13 at 4.01.13 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2015-06-13 at 4.01.44 PM.webp

Below is the closest sample I can find.

Screen Shot 2015-06-13 at 4.21.35 PM.webp
 
Upvote 28
I'm happy to see my little quiet state treated you well. Congrats on checking a nice old one off the list. Sorry I missed you on the Maine site. I just started a new job and have been too busy to get on the site. But it looks like you did just fine on your own. Where in Maine were you?
 
Congrats on the awesome save. That's another one of them coins I dream of finding.:notworthy:
 
Nice KGII. Gotta love it when a coin that old pops out of the ground.
 
Where in Maine were you?

Portland, I'm hunting everyday it's cloudy for the next week or so. (I'm here on a flying/aerial survey job)

If you are in the area, I'm up for a hunt!
 
you wont find one of those back home!
 
Nice going GIB. You can tell that was in the woods. It has much better detail than either of my field ones.
 
Very cool. We hope to find at least one this summer on vacation!!!!
 
Nice one buddy...don't get bit by any tics up there. I hear they have Lyme's, Erlichiosis, and all kinds of things. Wear something with Deet and check yourself head to toe when you return from the woods. If you get a rash that looks like a target with a bullet lesion in the center seek immediate treatment.
 
Its a KG II kind of year I found my first this year as well . So I know exactly how you feel
 
Nice one buddy...don't get bit by any tics up there. I hear they have Lyme's, Erlichiosis, and all kinds of things. Wear something with Deet and check yourself head to toe when you return from the woods. If you get a rash that looks like a target with a bullet lesion in the center seek immediate treatment.


I find this not to far fetched.

During WWII the Germans developed this disease to use on the Russians to kill off their livestock and starve the Russians to death and was implemented however it took too long, the war was over and Germany had lost its livestock so they were supplied with the infected livestock so Germany and Russia are the starting grounds.
Worst part is at the end of WWII the scientist that made the disease was brought over to the USA to work for us and his main research facility was Plum Island, a bio research facility off upper New York near the new England area. The disease was manufactured on plum island and some of their grey field mice escaped. They didn't bother to do a thing about it.
Since WWII Germany and Russia have been working on a cure and owned up to the disease but the USA refused to acknowledge anything and since the 70's when the escape occurred and the first case came up in Lyme Connecticut the government still remained quiet until 2002 when the records became public they tried to downplay it. President Bush enacted a new law demanding a better testing procedure be done because the current test is 15% accurate at best, the "bulls eye" mark only shows up on 10% of the cases and you can be bit and it take up to 7 years to show up. There are over 160 symptoms of the disease so it takes a really good Infectious disease Doctor to diagnose it, PLEASE don't rely on your general doctor they don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. 400,000 new cases are documented each year but the CDC say that this is possibly only 10% of the real cases since the disease mimics many other diseases and the doctors order wrong tests or prescribe wrong meds and its their inexperience that's causing the death of thousands each year..more than AIDS doe
 
Incidence of the "bulls eye" is more like 30%. Almost impossible to catch in secondary phase and once in tertiary it is a REAL problem. Spinal fluid analysis has a false negative rate of 50%. It is extremely difficult to diagnosis correctly.

Ever heard of the Coxsackie virus? Guess what city that was named for, hint hint, NY. Somebody in the government was experimenting with some real nasty stuff up there.
 
Oh- I soaked down with Deep Woods Off.

Got back to the hotel and while typing the original post I had one walk off my sleeve, from somewhere on my back, and across the back of my hand.

I couldn't crush him with my fingers so I squished him with my Gerber multi-tool needle nose.

I'm checking the local CraigsList and BackPage for someone to come to my hotel room and check me for ticks.

So far I'm only getting answers from the local undercover cops...

Strange place~

...and who's really going to pay $150 an hour to look for ticks anyway?

I was guaranteed to be happy at the end of the session, so I guess that was an assurance that they would find the ticks?
 
Last edited:
Nice going GIB. You can tell that was in the woods. It has much better detail than either of my field ones.

The reverse side was 'up' and has faded smooth. It had to be from time in the dirt, not being worn from use.

I didn't know the field ones would be worn more, I wonder why?

And yes, in thick woods.

I was talking to a local and he said that these woods are on the third generation of growth after being originally chopped to nothing by the first Europeans. Apparently they stripped the place bare and then moved further west allowing it to grow again.
 
The reverse side was 'up' and has faded smooth. It had to be from time in the dirt, not being worn from use.

I didn't know the field ones would be worn more, I wonder why?

And yes, in thick woods.

I was talking to a local and he said that these woods are on the third generation of growth after being originally chopped to nothing by the first Europeans. Apparently they stripped the place bare and then moved further west allowing it to grow again.

It's the corrosive action of the fertilizers used in the fields that takes a toll. That is a great example of a colonial!
 
Thanks Old Dude- I learned something new!
 
Congratulations on the old copper recovery!
 
Oh- I soaked down with Deep Woods Off.

Got back to the hotel and while typing the original post I had one walk off my sleeve, from somewhere on my back, and across the back of my hand.

I couldn't crush him with my fingers so I squished him with my Gerber multi-tool needle nose.

I'm checking the local CraigsList and BackPage for someone to come to my hotel room and check me for ticks.

So far I'm only getting answers from the local undercover cops...

Strange place~

...and who's really going to pay $150 an hour to look for ticks anyway?

I was guaranteed to be happy at the end of the session, so I guess that was an assurance that they would find the ticks?

Were you ever in the military or Tuskegee? I've seen a few cases of neuro syphilis and I am seriously starting to worry.
 
Were you ever in the military or Tuskegee? I've seen a few cases of neuro syphilis and I am seriously starting to worry.

I keep liking and unlike'n your post. I can't make up my mind....

It's so confusing. Military, what's a military?

Ouch, another headache...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom