What's new

My first George II

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2007
Messages
7,253
Reaction score
8,542
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Central Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm working up in Maine for a couple of weeks and have the weekend off. So I start looking for a hunting spot.

No luck on the Maine forum so I say to myself, "Self, lets Geocache a spot."

So, that's what I did. I logged into my Geocaching account and started narrowing down public access foot trails in southern Maine.

I finally came across what looked like a nice quiet walk in the woods, where hunting by permit is allowed, so I figure metal detecting should be no problem. It was a Land Trust trail, and out of the way, so off I went.

I was finding all the usual suspects, little bits of wire, shotgun casings (one was really old) a couple of Lincoln's, the usual junk.

Then I hit a really solid coin. It was ringing up as a dime, 4" deep on my GTI.

4" down and nope, not a dime- but my first ever George II.

Needless to say, I'm ecstatic. It's my oldest dirt fishing coin so far.

Thanks Maine!

The left side says GEORGIUS and the right says II REX

Reverse is almost completely smooth.

From what I can find, it looks like a 1744 farthing, old head because of the wavy pony tail, made of copper.

Screen Shot 2015-06-13 at 4.00.54 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2015-06-13 at 4.01.13 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2015-06-13 at 4.01.44 PM.webp

Below is the closest sample I can find.

Screen Shot 2015-06-13 at 4.21.35 PM.webp
 
Upvote 28
Portland, I'm hunting everyday it's cloudy for the next week or so. (I'm here on a flying/aerial survey job)


If you are in the area, I'm up for a hunt!

I am very close. I live about 25 min north of Portland. How long are you here? I just started a new job and am crazy busy but I might be able to figure something out.
 
Well heck... Maybe we can get a hunt going this weekend. Maybe get a few people together?
 
Excellent find G.I.B.!!!!! I'm jealous! Looking forward to getting together for some great hunting, hopefully the weather is on our side! As far as the ticks go, I seem to be naturally immune from them. Everyone around me has them jump on them and sometimes bite in, but I never get even one on me. For some reason they just don't like me. Black flies and mosquitoes is a different story though! They chew me up! Worse than others around me, I can't get enough bug spray!!! Lol!

P.S. Hi Crispin!!!!


Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom