My first gold: A hefty ring! And a Liberty Seated Dime too!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I had a great 90 minute hunt today at a property in my town. I had hunted briefly at this property about a week ago, and in that first hunt I found two Indian Head Pennies (1883, 1893), but that hunt got cut short and I only covered maybe 10% of the property.
Today in the cold I went back and found that a few days ago the homeowner had taken down a 200 year-old tree in the front yard. With the tree gone and with easy access to the ground I thought I'd swing the detector over the hole. Literally the first signal I got was a 15-16 TDI on my Equinox, and it didn't take much shoveling to uncover this ring! It's my first gold find with my metal detector. It weighs 14.7 grams and it's marked 14K with a maker's mark on the inside. On the front it has a crest with a stag and lion and words that say "IN CRUCE SALUS" (or "Salvation from the Cross") but the writing is reversed, like the words and crest are meant to be pressed into wax to seal a letter (and when pressed they would come out with correct orientation).

Initial research has not turned up anything that will help me identify the owner or the meaning of the crest. One source I read says that 14K gold was not used before 1906, so I don't think this is too old. I've given the ring to the property owner (my typical arrangement, and I'm fine with that) and he's going to do further research and try to find out the maker's mark and possibly the owner.

Finding the ring obviously made me super happy, and I did a little "gold dance" as is tradition (at least according to the Detectorists), but you know what made me happier: I put the ring in my pocket and kept detecting. Reflecting on that, it proves to me that I enjoy the process and the experience of metal detecting, and I'm not just in it for the shiny stuff. (Though it helps...).

I proceeded to find two dog tags about 15 minutes later (one from 2012 and one from 1957), and then toward the end of my hunt I got a scratchy 20's signal which turned out to be the first Liberty Seated Dime I've ever dug! 1883, and in good condition - except for where I hit it with the shovel (ouch - it happens. You can see the damage on the reverse near the "D" in Dime).
The property owner was so happy about the ring he told me to keep the dime, which I love because now every time I see the dime I'll think of the ring too!

Great day.

7HQNwo1.jpg HW3o4TX.jpg
1z6X21C.jpg

pDMpEkB.jpg rhneQov.jpg

Upvote 36

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a hunk o gold nice

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right, that is a hefty ring. A great find.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, ctx 3030, sdc 2300, Sovereign Gt, Excal 1000, x-terra 705, profind, propointer. Stealth 720i and 920ix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it tiffany & co ? I got one a couple years ago Armstron was the seal and also 14. + gr 14k tiffany & co, got it live with the socal gang , it's on 3 different youtube channel's, a thing of beauty, congrats and manny more you will find, young padawan!!!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know what the makers mark is you should show it and it can help us to research for you. Someone might be able to find some info for you.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice chunk of a ring. Seal rings where used on wax to seal letters etc... If this was post 1906, I'm not sure how long they carried on with what was a Medieval tradition.

Last edited:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on two amazing finds! That is a great yard. Cheers, Sub 8-)

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it tiffany & co ? I got one a couple years ago Armstron was the seal and also 14. + gr 14k tiffany & co, got it live with the socal gang , it's on 3 different youtube channel's, a thing of beauty, congrats and manny more you will find, young padawan!!!

Procali (and Back of the Boat), I was not able to read the makers mark with my various power magnifying glasses. But - I looked at Tiffany marks and they are much more prominent/obvious than whatever is on this ring. So while I don’t think it’s Tiffany, it’s crest and overall design is very similar to what Tiffany sells.

Here’s the best pic of the makers mark area I could take with my equipment. In that tiny rectangle is β€œ14K” and some small design, maybe a diamond.

The property owner (and now ring owner) is taking it to a jeweler; maybe that jeweler can ID the mark.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1607263909.093604.jpg

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That gold is just incredible and congrats on your first seated dime! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice chunk of a ring. Seal rings where used on wax to seal letters etc... If this was post 1906, I'm not sure how long they carried on with what was a Medieval tradition.

Yeah Crusader, my best guess is that this is a 20th Century signet-style ring that was worn for decorative reasons, not practical ones.
But you know what's cool? The property owner/ring owner told me he's already ordered red and green sealing wax, and he's going to seal all his Christmas cards with this ring.
It makes me really happy to know that someone will actually enjoy having this ring.

To be honest, I don't know what I would have done with the ring if I'd kept it. I'd probably throw it in a box (I tend to label my significant finds with a location/date), or maybe even sell it. (I keep telling my wife that my detector has paid for itself, yet other than clad change I've never seen any real money from my finds so...my argument is a bit hollow).
I'm glad the homeowner has a story to tell his friends and family, and that he'll use it this Christmas for what it may have been originally intended for.

- Brian

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on finding the ring-also keeping up on the agreement with the owner-and passing the ring over to them. :occasion14: That alone is very honourable and a HM shall be given. :icon_thumright::icon_thumleft:
Great looking seated as well-I'm sure your permission will be an open ender I hope after the ring.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a ring very similar to that with a 1945 date inscribed. Mine has a different Latin phrase, but, same type ribbon and backward incused writing. I never did find the person who lost it, even after extensive research. Good Luck! :icon_thumleft:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SILVER & GOLD - WOW! Congratulations!:occasion14::headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread