My first MD Silver

T

T Vernon

I am very new to metal detecting but have been a collector and avid outdoorsman for my entire life. I sold a bunch of possesions and art to buy my whites mxt (sorry if you don't like them, thanks if you do)...Anyway, I have been learning the ropes at lunch and after work this last week finding lots of things from square nails to pop caps to some interesting items like the metal leg of a toy horse (still looking for the rest). I have found lots and lots of clad but the elusive wheats and silver were not to be found. Yesterday while visiting family I asked my grandfather if I could search his parents home (my great-grandparents home), and he said sure. I only had about an hour of daylight left so my Brother and I went to it. We found a wheat 1954-s and then a 1942 Mercury dime (not sure of the mint since this is my first mercury...can you help?), then we found the clasp. Not knowing what it was but liking it we took it back to my parents house and asked my Mother (knower of all things lost and found). It is a garter keeper that was used until panty hose were created saving all women the hassle. Apparently this was a world saving invention according to Mother. HEHE

For the record the wheat was at 3 inches under grass near the back door of the house, the mercury was at 5 inches also under the grass between the house and the summer kitchen (still standing and will be searched more on tomorrow and wed). The garter thing was found where the old clothes line was. It is really fun researching the history of my own ancestors who were pioneers that came to Utah with the Mormons (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints). My great grandfather was a pioneer of mink/fur ranching, as well as a powder monkey in the coal mines of the area. I look forward to going through all the pictures and finding areas to MD.

Thanks to all on this site, you have greatly reduced my learning curve!!!
Travis

Attachments

• Coins.jpg
    Coins.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 441
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet Travis.

Nice Finds Too.

Jeff

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Travis, great finds! You also picked a great metal detector. Tsgman

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats! I'm still waiting for my first silver.
Mike

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds travis!!! WTG!!The mint mark location is on the reverse to the left of the fasces at the bottom.HH

OP
OP
T

T Vernon

Sweet! Thanks Jimmy5503, that makes my mercury a 1942-s.
Travis

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Way to go Travis,
congrats on your first silver,
many more to you my friend.

It's so cool how the silver (and gold)
comes out of the ground so shiney.
You instantly know it's silver
because it's not tanished dark
like the clad coins do. Exciting stuff!!

Welcome to the site!

Smiles!
BDoo

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Welcome Travis ,Youre off to a great start in a fine hobby/obsession...H.H....Joe

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, Okay! I haven't found my 1st silver yet, either! There, I said it. Many congrats, Travis. The coins must have been lost quickly after being placed in circulation, judging by the lack of wear. That's even cooler! Hurry back to that spot!

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee
Travis,

Great finds and an excellent post. Like the history and yes it's even better that you're discovering your ancestory. History is what has made us who we are!

Keep it up,

Smartin

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Way to go Travis!! Awesome finds......and there's lots more where that came from I'm sure!

Happy Hunting,
Moon

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the MXT Travis, that is what I use also. Wonderful machine. Like the coins and relic. Guess what.... your hooked now ;D

HH Twister

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds TV, its always a rush to find silver and wheats

the pantyhose thing is neat too

as far as family history goes, did you know that the mormons have one of the largest genealogical databases in the world, its free to search too....i found my grandfathers dad on there and someone had already traced my family's history back to the 1500's....i had a great, great.....grandfather in the civil war on the union side, a great, great, great......grandfather in the revolution..and his father, who was also a soldier in the revolution, was in the battle of point pleasant here in wv...the one who fought in the revolution was given a large tract of land in this county for his service.....check it out, it may help, if you don't already know about it

forgot to post the link.... www.familysearch.org

good luck on the new hobby

HH

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Congrats on your first silver! Your learning that MXT just fine .Keep up the good work!
Your research is paying off nicely. Welcome to the forum. HH!

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
TVERNON, Welcome To The Forum, Congrats On The Nice Finds. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 222
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 230

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread