My first MD Silver

T

T Vernon

I am very new to metal detecting but have been a collector and avid outdoorsman for my entire life. I sold a bunch of possesions and art to buy my whites mxt (sorry if you don't like them, thanks if you do)...Anyway, I have been learning the ropes at lunch and after work this last week finding lots of things from square nails to pop caps to some interesting items like the metal leg of a toy horse (still looking for the rest). I have found lots and lots of clad but the elusive wheats and silver were not to be found. Yesterday while visiting family I asked my grandfather if I could search his parents home (my great-grandparents home), and he said sure. I only had about an hour of daylight left so my Brother and I went to it. We found a wheat 1954-s and then a 1942 Mercury dime (not sure of the mint since this is my first mercury...can you help?), then we found the clasp. Not knowing what it was but liking it we took it back to my parents house and asked my Mother (knower of all things lost and found). It is a garter keeper that was used until panty hose were created saving all women the hassle. Apparently this was a world saving invention according to Mother. HEHE

For the record the wheat was at 3 inches under grass near the back door of the house, the mercury was at 5 inches also under the grass between the house and the summer kitchen (still standing and will be searched more on tomorrow and wed). The garter thing was found where the old clothes line was. It is really fun researching the history of my own ancestors who were pioneers that came to Utah with the Mormons (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints). My great grandfather was a pioneer of mink/fur ranching, as well as a powder monkey in the coal mines of the area. I look forward to going through all the pictures and finding areas to MD.

Thanks to all on this site, you have greatly reduced my learning curve!!!
Travis

Attachments

• Coins.jpg
    Coins.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 441
Upvote 0
S

southbound

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the cool finds.
Vern

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver! The MXT is a very versatile machine, just change coils to suit your needs. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread