What's new

My first seated dime! - 1876-CC

hoosierfinds

Full Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
107
Reaction score
57
Golden Thread
0
Location
Richmond Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Finally got in touch with the owners of a house I have had my eye on for two years. It's a half mile from my house and I go by all the time. One thing or another kept me going elsewhere or not able to contact them. The house is now on the edge of town. When it was built about 1850-ish, it was outside of town. Not sure if it was a farm. It sits about 50 yards back from the road with a good downslope on two sides.
It was humid, it was hot, and the mosquitos were a pain (forgot the repellant). My XLT found 11 pennies on the sloping Northeast side of the house, just away from where a deck has been added (4 were wheats, 41,41,51,57-d).
Hoping to lose the bugs, I shifted to the front yard (South side), which really seemed like it would have been a less used area. Got a penny/dime signal and was surprised by what I found about 2 - 3 inches down. I search a little longer and then rains arrived - hopefully the beginning of the break in this heat wave. My 1979 redbook says an F-12 condition dime is worth $6.50. So the hour of fighting bugs was worth it. Now to get back there again!!!
 

Attachments

  • 1876-cc front.webp
    1876-cc front.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 685
  • 1876-cc back.webp
    1876-cc back.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 683
Upvote 0
A cc minted silver coin......one of my dream find coins.....that is some coin you found......some day i'll find one too!
 
:o :o :o Very, Very, Very, Very, Very sweet dime. CC to boot! Major CONGRATS!
 
Fantastic find, WTG!!!
I have some relatives just south of you there in Connersville, so take it easy on that area, as I plan to get over that way to do some detecting one of these days... ;D Have you ever been over to Roberts Park? ( in Connersville ) From what I have heard the park has been there almost as long as the town...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~
 
Leon said:
Fantastic find, WTG!!!
I have some relatives just south of you there in Connersville, so take it easy on that area, as I plan to get over that way to do some detecting one of these days... ;D Have you ever been over to Roberts Park? ( in Connersville ) From what I have heard the park has been there almost as long as the town...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~
I think Connersville is safe. With the price of gas, I've even been sticking to my side of town/this side of the county when I do my research. I figure why drive so far when it is all a crap shoot. One 1850's house is as good as another, everything else being equal. And I tend to stick to houses rather than parks, though I do make exceptions. I have another spot lined up which will be a 20-25 minute drive. Good luck when you get to Connersville. I have drooled over several locations there when passing through town.
 
I can only dream of finding such a nice piece of history.
 
Nice Carson City. Its hard enough to find a seated dime let alone a CC.
Congrats
 
Beautiful find hoosier!!!! Congrats!

Nana ;)
 
Check out the obverse of this coin carefully. Specifically the words. There is a doubled variety of this date. From the photo the words look a bit more "flattened" then the rest of the coin. Could be just the photo or possibly it is doubled. Found one about 15 years ago. It will double the value.

Mark S.
 
The Seeker said:
Congrats on the First Seated Coin! Good luck in your adventures and finding plenty more............ 8)

Posted a follow-up today. Not as much luck.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom