ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I think I will buy something for mine before it happens

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrap a couple of layers of duct tape around mine. It's the black Propointer. So far, so good. I usually just run it over the dirt but if its still in the hole, sometimes I'll use it to root around in the bottom of the hole so I don't scratch the target with my digger. I like the table leg cap idea, though.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC
I use a Garrett pin pointer org. black 5 years no problems...i see the newer black Garrett is a PPII ...i `don`t know the difference...but i suspect build quality.
Digger Treasure Wise T10", T12" T14" sold them in me store for years, a very tough tool.
A Leashe Ground shark 28",but over the years it now ~ 26"
I hunt all year "Retired" in the frozen ground ...it freezes 4' around and use the packs for chisels and hammers and such.....but never carry it all at one time....but another tool i have to pack is a snow shovel.

Ooo ya a big fat joint !
Gary
View attachment 1386916 View attachment 1386917

Gotta love hunting with a nice fatty!!

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wore 2 small holes in my Carrot. I put a few dabs of CA (super glue) in them then shot it with some CA kicker. Then did this several more times CA, kicker, CA Kicker. The result is a nice clear coating over the 2 holes which doesn't wear off.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a Pin pointer "cover" is a needed addition to the Garrett PP.

Call it the Carrot Trojan Rubber :P

OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I don't use it to dig, never abused it, never been in any hard ground, usually parks, school grounds and bark in the playgrounds.
image1.JPG
image2.JPG

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I don't use it to dig, never abused it, never been in any hard ground, usually parks, school grounds and bark in the playgrounds.
View attachment 1387419
View attachment 1387418

Your argument is completely invalid, that is blatant abuse of the product. I don't care if you THINK you treat it kindly, you obviously are scrubbing that thing like a Survivor contestant trying to start a fire.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am real surprised garrett has not offered a pro pointer cover as an accessory. they sell coil covers, so why not! :dontknow:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's wrong with using your pin pointer to start a campfire ?

:P

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am real surprised garrett has not offered a pro pointer cover as an accessory. they sell coil covers, so why not! :dontknow:

Probably because it is so simple & cheap to install your own.
Now if they made some kind of protective "glove" or something, reinforced at the tip, that might be a hot seller at $15 or so.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
How about using a better quality plastic for the case?

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that is what i mean, a cover that really protects it. i would not buy it, just saying, there is profit to be made on accessories so why not. they can farm it out to China like that cheap edge digger of theirs. :censored:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like some very rigid plastic to me, and I have never professed to use mine gently.

You don't just "sand off" a tip lightly scanning wood chip tot lots - Maybe he hits alot of gravel tot lots. Seems like guys are wanting a metal tipped pinpointer, just not possible.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't even use one

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i was out in the woods today and was more conscious of how I use mine because of this thread. i noticed i do use it once i pop the plug. start digging around with it. since i hunt in the woods, that is prob pretty hard on it. so, i used me hand digger to do that work instead. $130 so you might as well be a little more gentle with it. cant tell you how many times i have dropped it out of the holster and had it hit the ground as i was carrying my stuff to my truck to pack up. lol

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't even use one

OMG, if i were 20 miles from home and forgot my pro pointer i would turn around to go back and get it. i can do the old school way also, but this makes life so much easier.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took to pinpointers early on, my 1st unit was called a vibraprobe and it was a big hit with me and my daughters when they used to detect with me.

Was shaped just like a pistol, so that got to be awkward sometimes detecting tot lots.
"Barrel" was a skinny PVC neck and I soon found it would not take much stress without snapping. Bought a few of them and tried patching them together, but after a while gave up and moved on to better built models.

OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your argument is completely invalid, that is blatant abuse of the product. I don't care if you THINK you treat it kindly, you obviously are scrubbing that thing like a Survivor contestant trying to start a fire.

HUH?!!! Blatant abuse by sticking it the dirt? WTH is the thing for if you can't stick it in the dirt?

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like some very rigid plastic to me, and I have never professed to use mine gently.

You don't just "sand off" a tip lightly scanning wood chip tot lots - Maybe he hits alot of gravel tot lots. Seems like guys are wanting a metal tipped pinpointer, just not possible.

No gravel ever, sandbox once, soccer fields and parks. I have absolutely NEVER done anything different than any of Garrett youtube videos.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread