My grandma was the original CRH'er
I remember as a kid begging my grandmother to let me see her coin collection.
I loved to spend hours just looking at them, counting them, sorting them, and talking to her about them.
She saw what was coming and began collecting silver quarters, dimes and half dollars in 1964. By the time I was in kindergarten, she had several thousand dollars worth of coins.
Most of her coins were common dates of course but she had quite a few half dimes, and silver dollars going as far back as the late 1800's.
By then she was paying my uncles and aunts to bring her their change. She and I would carefully go through the stacks of coins, sorting the silver coins from the clad and having the best time.
In 1979 she sold a lot of them and paid her house off. She promised me the rest of them. Later that year she had a stroke and those days ended.
When she died in 1985 without a will, everything went to my aunt, who had taken care of her.
My aunt promptly sold the house for 4000 dollars. At the time the house and land was worth around 60,000 dollars. The rumor was that she did it so she could have money for a beach trip that weekend.
A year or so later she came to me and offered to sell me the remainder of my grandmothers coin collection. I gave her everything I had at the time for what was left, around 60 coins.
Over the years I added a little to the collection but not much. There are just so much a man can put into this when he has kids, etc. At any rate I never sold her coins and I never will.
I'm sitting here, looking at all these coins from the past month of CRHing. I think my grandmother would be happy...
I remember as a kid begging my grandmother to let me see her coin collection.
I loved to spend hours just looking at them, counting them, sorting them, and talking to her about them.
She saw what was coming and began collecting silver quarters, dimes and half dollars in 1964. By the time I was in kindergarten, she had several thousand dollars worth of coins.
Most of her coins were common dates of course but she had quite a few half dimes, and silver dollars going as far back as the late 1800's.
By then she was paying my uncles and aunts to bring her their change. She and I would carefully go through the stacks of coins, sorting the silver coins from the clad and having the best time.
In 1979 she sold a lot of them and paid her house off. She promised me the rest of them. Later that year she had a stroke and those days ended.
When she died in 1985 without a will, everything went to my aunt, who had taken care of her.
My aunt promptly sold the house for 4000 dollars. At the time the house and land was worth around 60,000 dollars. The rumor was that she did it so she could have money for a beach trip that weekend.
A year or so later she came to me and offered to sell me the remainder of my grandmothers coin collection. I gave her everything I had at the time for what was left, around 60 coins.
Over the years I added a little to the collection but not much. There are just so much a man can put into this when he has kids, etc. At any rate I never sold her coins and I never will.
I'm sitting here, looking at all these coins from the past month of CRHing. I think my grandmother would be happy...
Upvote
0
It was a smart move hoarding silver while it could still be found easily.






