What's new

My heart is broken!!

rainorshine

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2013
Messages
295
Reaction score
891
Golden Thread
0
Location
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and a buddy found a new permission today. Homeowners left shortly after our arrival but let us keep hunting anyways. My second target was awesome. I dug some kind of drop pin fully intact. On top it said souvenir. Below that it had a picture of a native american and said deadwood s.d. paha sapa festival 1908. One of my coolest finds to date. Anyways, homeowner came home fir a quick stop and asked if we had found anything. I was excited to show him the pin. Long story short, he kept it. I could see the dollar signs rolling in his eyes. I dont even know if its worth much but I know its more valuable to me than to him. I had already pictured it in my shadow box snuggled in between other such finds. Guess I shoulda kept my mouth shut! Took home 3 wheats and a 1907 v nic. Sorry, not in the mood to post pics
 
Upvote 12
I always ask before I start if there is anything that has been lost. That, if found is a definite return. I do make it clear that I am looking for things I intend to keep. Most of my permissions are from well to do land owners and they really haven't wanted anything in return. The strange part is the area is known locally as snob hill. It's a moral dilemma that we each must deal with as our conscious guides us. We need them, they don't need us.
 
That happened to me once. I had dug an old metal toy cow about 4 inches long. The owners 10 yr. old nephew came out and asked what I was finding. I showed him the cow, he ran inside to show his Uncle, and I never saw it again. Now I just tell people that I will split everything 50 - 50 but have your garbage bag ready for your 50 % of the garbage I will dig. They quickly lose interest in anything I am finding ! It works and I like it.
 
0827161136a.webp
Got the pic. Explained how much it means to me and offered cash. Not interested
 
View attachment 1352120
Got the pic. Explained how much it means to me and offered cash. Not interested
A pic is great.
Part of our ethics involve who owns the finds on private land when hunting permissions.
Generally when asked about public finds I offer trash and "bait" as evidence.
Goodies are squirreled though and don't need exposure.
 
I give up items all the time. This year I gave up a late 1800s 9k gold ring. I also walked away from that property with a nice gilt Infantry Button, 3 silvers and some other cool stuff. It's a bummer, but they allowed a stranger onto their property with permission to metal detect. My pitch is usually that I will show them all items I find. Very rarely does anyone want anything, but it happens.

I love the places where they turn ya loose and never show any interest and I just leave with what I found, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Best you can do is try to convince the owner to sell it on eBay. That way, you could bid on it and maybe win it back. Stinks to have to pay for it, but better than never seeing it again.

When property owners ask me what I'm looking for, I always say old brass buttons, buckles and ax heads. I tell them anything old is fun for me to find, even it it's just a horseshoe. I never mention that I'm looking for coins or jewelry.

It's noble to be honest, but it's foolish to do all the work and let someone take your reward away from you. I once had someone ask me to detect his land and he stated he wanted everything I found! What's the point? Where's my incentive? Some people are just plain dense...
 
View attachment 1352120
Got the pic. Explained how much it means to me and offered cash. Not interested

I'd stay in touch, continue to hunt there if allowed. And, after he finds out that he won't be able to retire on what he might get. Don't be surprised if he comes back to your offer. ;) Then......if it were me....I would, very politely, tell him, "No Thanks!" :)
 
When you hunt private property with permission you HAVE to make an agreement regarding who gets what before you start. Often the land owner gets first pick, in which case you would not have the find anyways. A buddy of mine uses the one for you, one for me agreement, landowner gets first pick, digger gets second pick, landowner gets third pick and so on. If you hunt private property it is only fair that the landowner gets something if he/she so desires. Occasionally a landowner does't want anything, but a pre-arranged agreement is best.
 
That's a hard one to take rainorshine, after you do all the work of retrieving the item. I certainly would work out the details prior to the hunt. Sorry that happened. Best of luck out there!
 
BEEN THERE DONE THAT .
 
That's a pretty cool cool souvenir, I don't think I would want to give it back either. I would not blame the guy but I would have told him if he ever wanted to part with it to keep you first in mind...but I would not have made myself look desperate.........ok, yea I would:laughing7:
 
Hello rainorshine. That is one very nice piece of history you found, I would be heartbroken too. Congrats to you for having the initiative to gain the permission and on saving it from the elements.

Permissions are tough to read, but giving back is the price we sometimes pay. Sounds like many of us have been there too, I know I have (vintage diamond ring.)

Consider it karma for the future and log it into the experience file...NOW GET OUT THERE AND FIND SOMETHING BETTER!!!
Good Luck. C9
 
I give up items all the time. This year I gave up a late 1800s 9k gold ring. I also walked away from that property with a nice gilt Infantry Button, 3 silvers and some other cool stuff. It's a bummer, but they allowed a stranger onto their property with permission to metal detect. My pitch is usually that I will show them all items I find. Very rarely does anyone want anything, but it happens.

I love the places where they turn ya loose and never show any interest and I just leave with what I found, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello jwp1964. Well said...your approach, attitude, and observations are similar to mine. HH. C9
 
I Always go with a pocket of finds from somewhere else, crappy coins, toys etc. It's easy to give them those things and make them happy. On the other hand, you got the pleasure of finding it so quit yer *****in. We have to be careful not to become hoarders in this hobby and if the find appeals to her that much you've made her very happy maybe she'll tell the neighbours how nice you are and get you more permission.
 
Kudos to you for being a stand up guy. You did the right thing. I am a coin shooter and always get asked by the property owners to just show my finds. They know I am a coin shooter and I do like other cool finds and relics. I gladly give up a token or relic as a symbol of appreciation for the permission.
 
In my opinion you did the right thing. It is possible by word of mouth that you had a good find and were willing to give it to the owner will have others curious of what could be in their yards. They hear about the find and your honesty could open doors. Gotta think positive!!
 
I have a pocket for trash, a pocket for clad and such, and a pocket of things that get put away quickly. Trash and clad is what they see when they ask and I always offer them all the clad. Only once has anyone ever taken the clad.....about $3 worth, but that gesture will keep the invitation open and sometimes score other properties.
The dilemma many of us face is that we have an inherent desire to justify to others the reason we spend so much time and effort doing what we do and the only way of doing that is by showing off our better finds. I don't have that problem. If someone thinks I'm stupid for spending so much effort and time for a few pennies, dimes, and the occasional quarter or toy car.......oh well. I'm too old to care if people think I'm digging up loose change so I can buy myself some bread to eat. Don't let your pride get in the way of the true treasures of this hobby.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom