What's new

My heart just about stopped when I first saw this wheaty

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
4,601
Reaction score
953
Golden Thread
0
Location
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As some of you might remember, I have been looking through boxes of pennies with my 11 year old son this summer. Well, we got probably the last box of the summer today, and we were looking through the rolls when my son yelled out...... "Dad, a 1914D!" I said "No way!" He said "Yes way!" So I said "let me see!" and just about had the big one right there...... I looked at it through my 10X loupe and saw something strange though. It doesn't really look like a D through the loupe, but not an S either!!! It looks like some kind of blob under the date. Weird. Take a look.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2502.webp
    100_2502.webp
    9.7 KB · Views: 445
Upvote 0
1914 0.32
1914-D 125.00
1914-S 10.15

So, it doesn't make sense that someone would try to counterfit a less valuable coin.
An error perhaps?
Did the 1914 have an issue that the mint removed the mark or altered the die?
I'm pretty sure I see what was an "S"...
Or is it an "S" that was changed to a "D" that later fell off (looks like a ring around it)?
 
I think its looks like someone tried to make it a D. Are there similar lumps on the coin elsewhere(damage). Nice CRH find either way.
 
Doesn't it look strange? I have no idea what is up with this cent.

What are some of the possible reasons for this? Any ideas?
 
ronbo, I must have been typing the same time you were. The coin has no other problems other than having G/VG wear on it. I quess it could be an S mintmark that got dinged badly.

Looked at it closely again. There looks to be a slick spot under the blob.
 
It looks like an S mintmark that has the lower half worn away. Still a nice find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom