What's new

1909 S VBD

caretaker

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
330
Reaction score
1,227
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching this show on TV last week, it was about doing away with the penny, and felt sad, because I save my change and always dig penny signals hoping to find Wheaties, so last weekend I went out detecting. I hit the beach, a field, and a few playgrounds, put the finds in my pouch and went home, but when I dug a penny, I saw the wheat on the back of it, can't see the date without a loupe now a days, this week I was looking thru my finds and came across this, it blew me away, I looked on line and found out there are fakes out there, my heart sank, guys look at this coin, I can't tell, what do you think?
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0001.webp
    DSCF0001.webp
    299.1 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCF0002.webp
    DSCF0002.webp
    566.7 KB · Views: 271
Upvote 19
Now wait a minute…
This to me looks legit, I could be wrong.
No way you dug this buried, I don’t buy that. But maybe you found this as a surface find in a playground and didn’t notice it at the time. Maybe just maybe a kid got into Dads or Grandpas collection, not knowing or caring about pennies, and his Gramps did a really shitty job protecting a legit $2-3K coin.
You need to get this checked out. First thing I’d do is run it buy my LCS, then send it in for grading.
Again, I’m no expert, and can’t say for sure either way if it’s the real deal… but if it is, Bro… Huge Congrats on your find.
 
I’d say there is no way a 1909 cent would still be red. When cents are graded, they are R, RB, or B. Red, red brown, or brown. Copper will oxidize. That penny would have had to be protected from air all those yrs.
Here’s a Chinese fake.
IMG_1734.webp
 
It could have been in a playground in the mulch, I have dug others show and tell coins in the playgrounds over the years, and it could have been from change I got at the store , I always buy some dogs after detecting, sorry I didn't think of that, cause it is in great shape, that's why I thought it was fake
 
I’d say there is no way a 1909 cent would still be red. When cents are graded, they are R, RB, or B. Red, red brown, or brown. Copper will oxidize. That penny would have had to be protected from air all those yrs.
Here’s a Chinese fake.View attachment 2235312
I’d say there is no way a 1909 cent would still be red. When cents are graded, they are R, RB, or B. Red, red brown, or brown. Copper will oxidize. That penny would have had to be protected from air all those yrs.
Here’s a Chinese fake.View attachment 2235312
that's what I was thinking, been collecting and digging a long time
 
I was watching this show on TV last week, it was about doing away with the penny, and felt sad, because I save my change and always dig penny signals hoping to find Wheaties, so last weekend I went out detecting. I hit the beach, a field, and a few playgrounds, put the finds in my pouch and went home, but when I dug a penny, I saw the wheat on the back of it, can't see the date without a loupe now a days, this week I was looking thru my finds and came across this, it blew me away, I looked on line and found out there are fakes out there, my heart sank, guys look at this coin, I can't tell, what do you think?
Unfortunately I say this is a fake, I can't zoom in close enough on the mint mark to see finer details like if to see a small dot inside the upper loop of the S is there or not, but on the reverse the VDB is all wrong, the crossbar on the B on a real coin is slanted, yours is not, also the N is wrong in the word UNITED, just these 2 differences say it's a fake, there could be other signs but these 2 just stand out and there's no need to look for any others.

Here's a couple of videos showing some of the differences to look for.



 
I’d say there is no way a 1909 cent would still be red. When cents are graded, they are R, RB, or B. Red, red brown, or brown. Copper will oxidize. That penny would have had to be protected from air all those yrs.
Here’s a Chinese fake.View attachment 2235312
Actually... they are in Red out there... they are just big bucks.
here is one of many for sale...
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree with the rest. That coin does not look like it was in the ground. I would take it to a coin shop to see what their opinion is. You could even send it in to be graded, but be prepared to spend the roughly $30.00 fee to have it sent back in a "body bag" as a fake. On the other hand, if it is real, you hit the jackpot with that one.
 
Mint mark position is a tell-all as well.
Also, if I remember correctly, there are only 4 positions that "S" could be in, in relation to the date.
 
I was watching this show on TV last week, it was about doing away with the penny, and felt sad, because I save my change and always dig penny signals hoping to find Wheaties, so last weekend I went out detecting. I hit the beach, a field, and a few playgrounds, put the finds in my pouch and went home, but when I dug a penny, I saw the wheat on the back of it, can't see the date without a loupe now a days, this week I was looking thru my finds and came across this, it blew me away, I looked on line and found out there are fakes out there, my heart sank, guys look at this coin, I can't tell, what do you think?
If it real, you hit the big one! Good job!
 
I was watching this show on TV last week, it was about doing away with the penny, and felt sad, because I save my change and always dig penny signals hoping to find Wheaties, so last weekend I went out detecting. I hit the beach, a field, and a few playgrounds, put the finds in my pouch and went home, but when I dug a penny, I saw the wheat on the back of it, can't see the date without a loupe now a days, this week I was looking thru my finds and came across this, it blew me away, I looked on line and found out there are fakes out there, my heart sank, guys look at this coin, I can't tell, what do you think?
My wheats never look this good dug up. I’d have it looked at too. 🤷🏼‍♂️
 
thanks guys, I looked at all the vids and it's a fake, I'm wondering where I dug it up, it had to be at a playground in the mulch, at least I can use it in my coin book as a filler
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom