What's new

My Hunt Today

monsterrack

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
5,831
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't get to hunt the field today, a few of my turkey hunters had came in a day sooner than I thought and I want my hunters happy. Happy hunters make me happy and the field will just get more rain on it an it's not going any were. So I went to my best creek an I found a lot of pottery, 1 point and a broken stone I think was used to peck and grind on other stone tools. 1st is the pecking tool. creek finds.webpcreek finds1.webp

2nd is the point it a nice one and I think it is a Pickwick but I'll have to pull out my Ms. ID book to be sure. The base is throwing me off.creek finds2.webpcreek finds3.webp

The next is my heart breaker for the day. This creek is loaded with pottery shards and I picked up about 2lbs in a 100 yards. So when I found this piece I was real happy.creek finds7.webp When I turned it over I was in love with it. I looked real hard for the rest of it but had no luck, maybe next time.creek finds6.webp
 
Upvote 0
Looks like the change of plans worked out nicely! Great point and pottery!
 
Wow that pickwick is killer .... that wide base is awesome .... do you find many like that ? Would definitely have made my day
I don’t usually care much for pottery but that is a nice piece
 
Do you think the round :thumbsup:stone may be a Chunkey? Love the pottery...
 
Nice finds that point is pretty sweet!
 
Found in MS? Could be citronelle flint. It's usually heavily river stained yellow. Gary
 
Very nice finds.Congrats :thumbsup:
 
Do you think the round :thumbsup:stone may be a Chunkey? Love the pottery...

I don't believe it was a chunky due to all the marks on the end which makes me think it was a pecking, grinding or maybe a knapping stone.
 
Found in MS? Could be citronelle flint. It's usually heavily river stained yellow. Gary

There is no doubt that it is that type of stone . Our creek beds and river beds are full of it, but it ranges in all different colors and some points will stain while some look almost like they did when they were made.
 
I have narrowed the point style down to this. My Ms. guide book say's it's a McIntire 5,000-4,00 BPImage (2226).webp Sorry that the scan is upside down, but Ms. has it's on style of some points. I was thinking Pickwick because of the flared ears but the base was to wide. Pickwick's don't have such a wide base and I know it's not a Gary they have a much different base to them.
 
Nice finds, and a beautiful point. May've been much larger at one time and resharpened making the stem to blade ratio look outta whack. You're probably safe typing as a Pickwick. It's a killer and that's all that matters!
 
Like that cobble chert you find in your area made into points. The pottery design is outstanding glad you could get back out and find the good stuff. Im guessing you are feeling better now, rock
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom