diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been pretty busy with work lately (that's a good thing) so I haven't been hitting the thrift stores or garage sales too much this past month. I didn't have a job last Sat. so I went to a few estate sales and found a sterling silver dolphin figural at the first one where I was the early bird. It is hollow. Each one is about 5 inches long and clearly stamped "sterling", it weighs 4.6 ounces. I paid $25 for it. On the way home I stopped by one of my local thrift stores that I frequent. I found this piece on the very top of a shelf in the back of the store, pushed all the way back as if someone put it on "layaway" (hiding it until they have 50% off day). Luckily, i'm very tall and nothing on high shelves escapes my view, anywhere. As a matter of fact, I always search the higher shelves and tops of closets etc., because I am taller than most people, and i've found this to be an advantage when searching at estate sales and such. Anyway, I found this Royal Worcester hand painted Biscuit Jar that dates to 1901 according to the date code on the bottom. Prices vary widely from about $100 to over $500. I got it for $14.99. :thumbsup:

The Dolphins

100_4290.jpg 100_4288.jpg

The biscuit jar

100_4560.jpg 100_4558.jpg
100_4566.jpg

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that biscuit jar.. two nice finds..well done :thumbsup:

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I like the jar, it looks like a nice job on the painting, very pretty.

oldmaps

Aug 11, 2010
al , ms , fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari , ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your jar signed by the artist? Let me know if you want to sell it.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oldmaps said:
Is your jar signed by the artist? Let me know if you want to sell it.
Unfortunately no signature. I will let you know when/if I sell it. :thumbsup:

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
You would do very well if you sold the Worcester biscuit barrel, Royal Worcester fetches alot of money. Is it hand painted or transfer printed? looks like hand painted to me. Usually the name of the artist is on the bottom of any Worcester items.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unicorn said:
You would do very well if you sold the Worcester biscuit barrel, Royal Worcester fetches alot of money. Is it hand painted or transfer printed? looks like hand painted to me. Usually the name of the artist is on the bottom of any Worcester items.
I know it's a good piece. It is hand painted and possibly the NH (or HN) on the base is the artists monogram. I know that starting around 1900 or so that Royal Worcester allowed artists to sign the work on the front face rather than include a monogram in the base marks. So the date of 1901 is close enough to where it is possible for it to have a base monogram versus an actual signature on the work. I've been trying to research artists, but the info. available on the net is limited to the most famous artists of the Company, and there were many.

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to suggest that you do a google on Royal Worcester and drop them a line together with your picture. If you have any difficulty let me know and I will try and do a little reasearch on it. I do know that if it is genuine Royal Worcester, and especially if its what is called their blush ware, it will be valuable.

'U'

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know how I missed this post but anyway Great finds, you sure do come up with some beauties. Your one of my favorite posters and I look forward to see what you come up with next. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread