My Local Savers Store is Refusing to Accept Cash!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Supposedly, we all pay for that in the form of increased merchant fees generated by the CC company. Which means we pay more for the products in the end, to cover the fees.

Sounds like you do. Me? I get a rebate for all my purchases, like you should, too!

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my card pays me to use it as well. the card has been hacked at Sunoco gas stations three times in the past .
each time it was while on a trip to Florida , one time the thief was trying to buy $300 in cigarettes from a sunoco in Falls Church Va while I was in FLA. that was denied as the card company could see my location by my spending trail. always a Sunoco involved makes me too suspicious to ever by gas there again. . I never had to pay a penny of the theft and was mailed a new card within a few days
I've ran into a few places that were cash only but
I've never heard of a store not excepting cash but times are changing for sure.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s about two things. Safety of employees who would need to touch cash all day vs you using a credit card machine. They could be collecting virus on their hands and passing it on to the next customer. And the second reason is that there is a coin shortage. So cut them some slack, wait a month or two and I am sure when things settle they will go back to cash.

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am boycotting all non-cash businesses at this time and hope everybody else will do the same. If we all pull together they will have to accept legal tender cash, or suffer business loss. T.S.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am boycotting all non-cash businesses at this time and hope everybody else will do the same. If we all pull together they will have to accept legal tender cash, or suffer business loss. T.S.

Just not going to put them out of business. Plastic is the preferred method of payment by many of us and that sure isn’t going to change in the age of COVID.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Plastic just so sterile, and I value the last little bit of privacy I have left. That, and I’ve been checking my change for silver and wheats for almost 50 years. I do find ‘em, every year. Can’t help it I’m a coin nerd.

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
I Am 64yrs. old and have never had a debit or credit card in my life,and hopefully will never have to. Hell I don't even own a cell phone still have a land line.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a debit card mostly, for local purchases. Sometimes cash. Some stores have stopped handling cash. The self checkouts at Wally World, stopped taking or issuing cash. But, everybody is using their index finger, the dirtiest, used for EVERYTHING, to enter their pin on the pin pad. So, don't pick your nose or rub your eyes until you use sanitizer or wash your hands. Just saying.

Agreed.

Card usage is dirtier than cash... now with all the virus talk people are beginning to realize it.

Now... IF all buttons and touch screen were fully sanitized /cleaned after EVERY transaction... then cards would be cleaner.

Oh... and pay attention... Cash IS quicker.

Unless that is .. your behind someone in line holding a bag of change. heh

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
So you folks are still actually touching the keys? lmao!
Several years ago I tried to teach an older man to use his knuckle to hit the elevator button instead of his finger print. He just looked at me like i was a wierdo. I saw the same man in the same elevator earlier this year and he has a little differenat attitude now.

Next time you're out and using the easiest most prefered method of payment that gets you the most bang for your buck, use the pointy end of a metal key on your key chain to hit the buttons.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Several years ago I tried to teach an older man to use his knuckle to hit the elevator button instead of his finger print. He just looked at me like i was a wierdo. I saw the same man in the same elevator earlier this year and he has a little differenat attitude now.

Next time you're out and using the easiest most prefered method of payment that gets you the most bang for your buck, use the pointy end of a metal key on your key chain to hit the buttons.
Of course remember to disinfect your key and the card.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't like the knuckle part... but do like the metal key part.

If I itch my nose I often use my knuckle... beings my fingers are not always the best at that moment.

Also... I must say... I see people who are sick with allergies and so forth always using knuckles to wipe their noses... which eeks me out as well.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Good point on the knuckles, AARP. However, during this time in our lives I grab a hanky, tissue or my shirt to scratch or touch my face.
Krazy times we're living through...

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Am 64yrs. old and have never had a debit or credit card in my life,and hopefully will never have to. Hell I don't even own a cell phone still have a land line.

Shoot me a telegraph sometime, I need help repairing a wagon wheel.

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with declining to use new tech. I know people who absolutely refuse to touch a computer. Who enjoy their VHS tapes. Who still buy film. I was a real straggler buying a cell phone, now it's indispensable. I switched to plastic because it's so much easier. I haven't carried a balance on the card since my divorce 6 years ago and I've gotten a lot of free airline tickets, back when I used to fly on airlines. I won't boycott a cashless business, and whether I patronize a cash-only business depends on whether I have cash in my pocket, which is often not.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point on the knuckles, AARP. However, during this time in our lives I grab a hanky, tissue or my shirt to scratch or touch my face.
Krazy times we're living through...

lol !

AARP. heh

Its ARC... The extra "A" is compliments of TreasureNet.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Shoot me a telegraph sometime, I need help repairing a wagon wheel.

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with declining to use new tech. I know people who absolutely refuse to touch a computer. Who enjoy their VHS tapes. Who still buy film. I was a real straggler buying a cell phone, now it's indispensable. I switched to plastic because it's so much easier. I haven't carried a balance on the card since my divorce 6 years ago and I've gotten a lot of free airline tickets, back when I used to fly on airlines. I won't boycott a cashless business, and whether I patronize a cash-only business depends on whether I have cash in my pocket, which is often not.
You must know my dad, he’s 85. But I have to disagree that the card is easier because you pay twice. But not if you have auto pay with the bank linked directly to your checking account our whatever, no thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread