My New Predator Tools Little Eagle Shovel

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a nice USA made tool I received in the mail today. Chrome molly 4130 heat treated tempered steel weighing in at 2 lbs. 2ozs. Not too big and easy to carry in hand while detecting yet very sharp with good leverage. Recently I bought their Model 85 hand trowel digging tool on sale and discovered their product quality. I was actually having trouble deciding which shovel to purchase from their excellent lineup. Now in hand I feel as though I made the right choice.

This is my first metal detecting shovel. I usually wear a nylon belt with trowel and pin pointer in holsters. I liked the idea of being able to quickly switch hands while detecting. But the belt is annoying and the trowel requires muscle in the woods while stooping over. Going to mount my pointer on the detector shaft with a coil tether.

Attachments

• tres352.jpg
    tres352.jpg
    831.8 KB · Views: 109

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mounting it on the detector software might throw the ergonomics off a tad.
I've seen them mounted on the shovel handle.
A tethered pin pointer is what I used now. I've had to backtrack a good ways in the bush because it slipped out of the pouch.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have two of the Predator shovels and two of their hand diggers and I agree whole heartly they are some of the best shovels I have ever used and their hand diggers are equally as good, I have the Model 24 phoenix shovel and the Lady Bug shovel also the model 85 hand digger with orange handle and also the raptor hand digger, the hardest part was trying to figure out which one I wanted because all of their shovels and hand diggers look good LOL

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the new shovel. Predator tools are both quality and top notch. May this find you many treasures.

Kormak

Greenie
Jan 5, 2023
What a nice USA made tool I received in the mail today. Chrome molly 4130 heat treated tempered steel weighing in at 2 lbs. 2ozs. Not too big and easy to carry in hand while detecting yet very sharp with good leverage. Recently I bought their Model 85 hand trowel digging tool on sale and discovered their product quality. I was actually having trouble deciding which shovel to purchase from their excellent lineup. Now in hand I feel as though I made the right choice.

This is my first metal detecting shovel. I usually wear a nylon belt with trowel and pin pointer in holsters. I liked the idea of being able to quickly switch hands while detecting. But the belt is annoying and the trowel requires muscle in the woods while stooping over. Going to mount my pointer on the detector shaft with a coil tether.
Predator is my go-to :D Grats on new shovel!

Last edited:

Ledster

Mar 3, 2016
in the desert
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whycome all shovels are expensive? I'm just looking for something small to carry and everything I see is 95 bucks. Are there any cheap shovels out there for people on a budget.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whycome all shovels are expensive? I'm just looking for something small to carry and everything I see is 95 bucks. Are there any cheap shovels out there for people on a budget.
I hear on the cost that $95US + $50 US shipping + taxes + exchange is now $200.00 for me to order that shovel.
Now I'm dishing the quality by any means-buy once and be done with it in life.
I bought a shovel some years back, had a local guy cut the blade down, add pedals. All in $60 total cost (Shovel $40-work $20)
Though it is a tad heavy.
12" blade, 8" across at top, sink it in, pry down, stomp, large pug comes up.
Getting a little worn on the edge tip from slamming it into foundation stones that happen to be buried.
20221229_124551.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have done a bent pedal in back... works better.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, I paid 85 bucks to buy it and ship it to my door. I researched shovels for quite some time before settling on this USA made company. And it took some time to select the right model of which I am happy with my choice. Do a search on Amazon for metal detecting shovels and it kicks up around 7 pages of options. You can go as low as 30 bucks for something workable. Even a good folding survival\backpacking type shovel might do the trick. Looking at all of the quality options, Predator Tools is actually competitive.

I've used a trowel in the field detecting for over three years. I now realize that was a mistake. My idea had been to keep my hands free to quickly switch the detector between hands. And keep it light as I was already wearing a small backpack. Most of my detecting time is in the woods cruising along covering a lot of ground. I wore my pin pointer and trowel on a wide nylon belt which drove me crazy riding up my coat. When I found a target, I used to plunge my trowel in off center to the edge of the coil, then place the pin pointer in the slit to see if I could zero in before digging the plug. Contending with roots was time consuming. I have the White's trowel with double serration, a fine tool that came with a crappy sheath.

The shovel I bought is great. Goes right through roots. I now just quickly dig a hole the size of the coil and pop the plug out. I was wasting time before and wrestling with the trowel. If I weren't in the woods and had to be more careful about covering my plugs I would invest in the Predator Shovel that cuts the fine round plug. In the woods I discover that a lot of times the raccoons and other wildlife rip my plugs back up, probably thinking I left edible treasure.

Ledster

Mar 3, 2016
in the desert
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hear on the cost that $95US + $50 US shipping + taxes + exchange is now $200.00 for me to order that shovel.
Now I'm dishing the quality by any means-buy once and be done with it in life.
I bought a shovel some years back, had a local guy cut the blade down, add pedals. All in $60 total cost (Shovel $40-work $20)
Though it is a tad heavy.
12" blade, 8" across at top, sink it in, pry down, stomp, large pug comes up.
Getting a little worn on the edge tip from slamming it into foundation stones that happen to be burie

True, I paid 85 bucks to buy it and ship it to my door. I researched shovels for quite some time before settling on this USA made company. And it took some time to select the right model of which I am happy with my choice. Do a search on Amazon for metal detecting shovels and it kicks up around 7 pages of options. You can go as low as 30 bucks for something workable. Even a good folding survival\backpacking type shovel might do the trick. Looking at all of the quality options, Predator Tools is actually competitive.

I've used a trowel in the field detecting for over three years. I now realize that was a mistake. My idea had been to keep my hands free to quickly switch the detector between hands. And keep it light as I was already wearing a small backpack. Most of my detecting time is in the woods cruising along covering a lot of ground. I wore my pin pointer and trowel on a wide nylon belt which drove me crazy riding up my coat. When I found a target, I used to plunge my trowel in off center to the edge of the coil, then place the pin pointer in the slit to see if I could zero in before digging the plug. Contending with roots was time consuming. I have the White's trowel with double serration, a fine tool that came with a crappy sheath.

The shovel I bought is great. Goes right through roots. I now just quickly dig a hole the size of the coil and pop the plug out. I was wasting time before and wrestling with the trowel. If I weren't in the woods and had to be more careful about covering my plugs I would invest in the Predator Shovel that cuts the fine round plug. In the woods I discover that a lot of times the raccoons and other wildlife rip my plugs back up, probably thinking I left edible treasure.
I live in desert with clay, and have been looking on amazon, went to aliexpress last night and they have nothing but junk, however, i'll probably end up getting what you use and cough up the 85

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That model , length and handle is THE best, all around the globe...! Check on it..., you'll see!
Really, look at other comparable shovels available, this one, the most popular.....

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
predatore tools is currently out of the Lady Bug shovels but I think it would fit the bill for what you are wanting, I purchased the lady Bug and the Phoenix I use the Lady Bug in manicured lawns

Ledster

Mar 3, 2016
in the desert
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in desert with clay, and have been looking on amazon, went to aliexpress last night and they have nothing but junk, however, i'll probably end up getting what you use and cough up the 85

predatore tools is currently out of the Lady Bug shovels but I think it would fit the bill for what you are wanting, I purchased the lady Bug and the Phoenix I use the Lady Bug in manicured lawns

thrift store find...35 bucks

Attachments

• 8f623b60-715d-4122-a588-1b0725dee7earonM_0110t1.png
    8f623b60-715d-4122-a588-1b0725dee7earonM_0110t1.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 21

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thrift store find...35 bucks
you will have to modify that square nose shovel if you plan on digging in clay a square nose shovel is meant to scoop not dig

I used a little modified shovel from home depot for a while until it broke I used a drimel tool with cutting disc to modify it, purchased the shovel from home depot, in fact I purchased two and modified both the shovel was less than $10

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
""you will have to modify that square nose shovel if you plan on digging in clay a square nose shovel is meant to scoop not dig"" As a former grave digger i have to disagree, it's for scraping/carving walls smooth:rolleyes: I made a few out of shovels, the best to find is Pony brand made in Ireland not the Indian made replacements. Last one i plasma cut to same dimensions as the predator C-31 raptor thinking id make a hand digger but ended up putting a Wood D handle on it for now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread