My Oldest Coin So Far

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me start out by saying what a beautiful weekend it was. The weather was just perfect. When the weather is perfect you know you have to get out and swing the coil. I managed to do that both Saturday and Sunday for a couple hours.
On a new permission, I always start in the tree rows or curb strip. I dug up four or five pieces of trash. Next signal was bouncing around 83-84 - two inches down. I'm thinking a token. Pull out the pinpointer and find the spot. Grab the shovel and pop a small plug. Pinpointer to the dirt on the plug and out falls a dark round object. Last time that happened it turned out to be a sweet token. Rub the dirt off of it and not recognizing it. I can tell it's a coin but not making it out. Then I see a date on the bottom. I'm making out 182-. Okay, that's good. Stop rubbing on it, you dummy, clean it up later. Got back at it. I wasn't finding much other than clad and sometimes that can be a little disappointing. I then got a nice tone. 86-87 - four inches down, thinking a quarter. Pop the plug and it's still in the hole. Loosen the dirt up in the hole and see some shiney. Pulled out a silver ring, my 5th for the year. Took some pictures. Seen what time it was and thought this would be a nice way to end the hunt. I got home and cleaned the coin up. Turns out to be an 1825 British Farthing. Which makes it, my oldest coin. The ring has Sterling stamped in it and that makes the day even sweeter.

IMG_20170624_132200.jpg IMG_20170624_170902.jpg IMG_20170625_083651.jpg IMG_20170625_084340.jpg IMG_20170625_091728.jpg

Sunday morning I was up early. Drinking my coffee and thinking this is a good day to hit some tree rows on the campus. Picked a good spot because my first good target was a 1938 mercury dime. The second was a toy pocket watch with a monkey on it lol. Moved across the street to dig a little trash and a couple wheats. I starting working an area around a fire hydrant and got a nice 89-90. Many, many times it turns out to be a small can or a piece of copper pipe. Popped the plug and it was laying in the hole. Seen the roundness and it was dark. A little rubbing and it was a Kennedy Half Bicentienal. Not much after that. A cool token with an eagle on it and some more clad. Oh yeah, a bubble gum machine ring. Well, once again I've kept you way to long. Thanks for looking and HH. SD

IMG_20170625_111934.jpg IMG_20170625_124536.jpg IMG_20170625_114030.jpg IMG_20170625_162524.jpg IMG_20170625_183129.jpg

Pepper06

May 9, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on your finds, you sure do have the magic touch when it comes to finding the good stuff.

OP
OP
ShovelinDave

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on your finds, you sure do have the magic touch when it comes to finding the good stuff.
Thanks Pepper, I don't know about the magic touch. I would say luck has a lot to do with it and that's fine with me.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of the journey that farthing made to get to the Hoosier state. KILLER find!!!!! CONGRATZ....

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't how I missed this post. Very well done SD.

Congrats on your new oldest coin, and a handsome green one at that!

Check it out... I got the exact same ring... some sort of weird cosmic alignment thing going on, I guess...

Attachments

• IMG_20170219_160655_395-1.jpg
    IMG_20170219_160655_395-1.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
OP
OP
ShovelinDave

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of the journey that farthing made to get to the Hoosier state. KILLER find!!!!! CONGRATZ....
Thanks, Mr. Fishstick. The journey was much longer than what it took me to dig it out of the ground. Only a couple inches down my uncle said it might have been flipped out when the put the sidewalk in. That was probably 1920's or 30's.

OP
OP
ShovelinDave

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't how I missed this post. Very well done SD.

Congrats on your new oldest coin, and a handsome green one at that!

Check it out... I got the exact same ring... some sort of weird cosmic alignment thing going on, I guess...
Happy Thanksgiving Mr. CT. You probably missed it when you were out digging up all that silver :notworthy:. So we found the same VFW medallion. The same silver ring. Do me a small favor and send me a PM when you find a gold coin so Ill know what to expect in my future finds :thumbsup:.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy Thanksgiving Mr. CT. You probably missed it when you were out digging up all that silver :notworthy:. So we found the same VFW medallion. The same silver ring. Do me a small favor and send me a PM when you find a gold coin so Ill know what to expect in my future finds :thumbsup:.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too sir!

Don't wait by the inbox for that PM... I would love nothing better than to find that holy grail gold coin, however, it has proven to be harder than I expected.

Good luck brother!

PS: I found the VFW medal and that silver ring at the same spot, coincidence? I think not, obviously there is some sort of supernatural vortex thingy going on here...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread