My Oldest U.S. Copper! Draped Bust Large Cent!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I never thought I would find one of these coins where I live. Back out to the abandoned farm field with OFLSHAGS this morning. The weather has been really nice lately. Not much came up today except another large cent. SHAGS found the signal and told me to dig it. Wasn't going to say no to that. Pop out the copper, clean it off and its crusty. I try to give it to him and all he says was "You dug it so its yours" So big thanks to him for letting me keep it. We couldn't ID it in the field. Put it in some lemon juice for about 10 minutes and this is how she turned out...

20201219_191220.jpg

20201219_190925.jpg

20201219_190806.jpg

20201219_190509.jpg

This is the 6th large cent to come out of this field in the last few weeks. Going back tomorrow, hopefully there are some more out there. Thanks for looking. Stay safe and healthy and keep swinging if you can.

Upvote 32

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a beauty. Congrats!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't do much better than that!
Nice Draped Bust Cent!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your friend sounds like a good mentor that is one awesome Coin I’m down south in Louisiana and I just found my first and only large sent I don’t think we used many of those it took me five years to find it. But we do have a lot of Spanish and American silver. So I guess I’m lucky to have found that one yours is just absolutely beautiful next time I find one which might be another five years I’m a police man and a little lemon juice like that what a beautiful Coin you got buddy congratulations she’s all yours

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VERY nice! That's a hard to find coin here in the midwest. How old was the site you were on?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your friend sounds like a good mentor that is one awesome Coin I’m down south in Louisiana and I just found my first and only large sent I don’t think we used many of those it took me five years to find it. But we do have a lot of Spanish and American silver. So I guess I’m lucky to have found that one yours is just absolutely beautiful next time I find one which might be another five years I’m a police man and a little lemon juice like that what a beautiful Coin you got buddy congratulations she’s all yours

Thanks Truth. It took me more than 4 years to get my first US LC and that was a week ago lol. I found my first KGIII two years in and a year before I got my first IHPs. I would love old Spanish and US silver. Maybe Well get lucky in this field. Shags is a great man and always fun to detect with. We keep each other goin. This would have been copper number 4 for him out of the area but he wanted me to catch up.

VERY nice! That's a hard to find coin here in the midwest. How old was the site you were on?

Thanks Noah. It was truly unexpected for sure. From what we have found Im guessing the site is mid 1800s. We only have a 1896 map to go off of. The spot we are searching disappears in the 1906 map. The coins so far, new to old are 1847 and 1838 Matrons. 1837 Hard times token. 1814 Classic head LC. 1806 KG Half Penny and the Draped Bust. We also have quite a few buttons from the same date range.

Last edited:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice DBLC- Congrats! Surprised you're even able to dig up there- figured you'd be frozen by now.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a killer find - I can't remember seeing a Draped Bust Large Cent dug that far West in the US !

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice DBLC- Congrats! Surprised you're even able to dig up there- figured you'd be frozen by now.

Thank you Jeff. We've been lucky this year. Only had a dusting of snow and not enough cold to freeze yet. Hopefully a few more weeks left for us.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a killer find - I can't remember seeing a Draped Bust Large Cent dug that far West in the US !

Thaks E-Trac! She traveled a long ways before she made her final stop under our coils. Got the shakes after seeing it cleaned up. Glad to have saved it.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your find! Like others, I figured you'd have snow and not be able to detect at this time of year.
Here in NJ we still have the 6-8 inches from this past week's storm, so no detecting for me until it melts.

- Brian

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your find! Like others, I figured you'd have snow and not be able to detect at this time of year.
Here in NJ we still have the 6-8 inches from this past week's storm, so no detecting for me until it melts.

- Brian

Thanks Brian. Sorry you're snowed in for now. Here is to a quick melt for you. Fortunately for us its still warm and snow free. Hope to get another week or so detecting in yet.

Congrats on a nice old copper.

Thanks Trez. This has been my best year so far and this may be the cherry on top.

Last edited:

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great find congrats!

vp

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find, Congrats and thanks for sharing... "D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread