My Practice Garden Was a BAD IDEA (Pics) and Valuable lesson

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 7 years ago I made a metal detecting Practice Garden..........I buried mostly coins that I had found except one....a 3 cent pc. I bought at a flea market for $9......I now know I buried every thing too deep...7 inches was the shallowest,and that was the 3 cent...mercs I buried on an angle at 8-9 inches, McBuffalo's at 8-10 inches,and a couple saskwatch dollars on edge at 8-10 inches......Do NOT do this Newbies......L.O.L.......I thought it was going to be good practice for those deep signals.....but uh......NOPE...
I carefully measured the depth along a string line,from the last step on my porch (I think)...and seeded another part of the yard along the line from the corner of where my dining room is to one of two or three posts on the back fence....Carefully drawing a schetch in my old High School Notebook.....As to where I placed the string line....where my measurements were to be taken from.....what coin at what angle ,and what depth were all schetched carefully in my old High school notebook.......
Well guess what ? ..........................Two years ago.....My grandaughter was going to take some college courses,and while I was at work,,,,,she asked Granny,,,,if she had a Notebook, pens,pencils ect.."She could Use"...........Granny finds my old Notebook,and gives it to her.........It not only had the schetch of my coin garden in it.....It had My Old Army records (DD214)......
Last year I was informed that I could get three more years credit towards my pension.....If I could prove that the 3 year break I had in my work was due to military obligation......So I went to Look for my notebook with my Paperwork (DD214) in it...Wife says grandaughter took it with her when she started school....but she quit before the first semester ended,and does not remember what she did with the book.......I was NOT HAPPY !
There was a slight releif (Not that much) when I found some of the coins today ( digging out for a patio....I took all afternoon and screened every shovel full ) From what I can remember, I had purchased a 3 cent pc. and 2 saskwatch dollars,,and these others I had found,,,,5 rosies,5 mercs,5 buffalos, 5 IH,5 Wheaties, and asorted clads,and mems ect.I buried alot of the good stuff from my earliest years in the hobby.. I even buried some pop tops and nails next to some of them....but I got carried away burrying them too deep....I figured a couple of years ,and the Halo effect would take over,and I could then get some good practice .....NOT ............But I am suprized at my wife......She told me"It wouldn't take you near as long if you didn't use that M.D. and screen" ! ? ? ?
Ohhh Yes....The moral to the story is,,no mater if you bury it shallow ,,or DEEEP,,,Always record the measurements,depth ,coin value and year ect....but the main thing is ,,,,,,Make SEVERAL COPIES OF THIS RECORD,,,and put other VALUABLE PAPERS IN a Safe,or some other secure spot.............Anyone else have trouble locating the stuff YOU BURIED ?
PracticeGarden.jpg

M

mattjd

years from now detectorists will be finding "test garden" cache'es! LOL

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You buried all this good stuff? ??? :o ;D

Nana ;)

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That blows!

Good luck finding the stuff!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
AmericanCoinHunting

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
You buried all this good stuff? ??? :o ;D

Nana ;)
Yea ,I had read years ago about making AND MARKING, a practice garden,or test plot......You are supposed to be able to get "in touch with your machine" by being able to recognize these from the pull tabs or Nails burried next to them...............I still haven't found my 3 cent pc,yet....Burried to deep......WOOOPS............But I am not going to dig up the whole yard JUST YET

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a bigger coil!

OP
OP
AmericanCoinHunting

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lonewolfe said:
Try a bigger coil!
I have tried my 12 1/2 " to No Avail.......And the soil up here has lots of iron ore in it so I have to keep sensitivity to 80-85% Max.......Ding....Ding....Ding.....Ding....Ding....Ding....ASPIRIN......Ding....Ding....Ding.....Ding....Ding....Ding....ASPIRIN

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Getting a new dd214 wont be too hard. Contact DOD, and they will tell you how to get a new copy. Good luck.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post! You should be able to get a copy of your DD214 from the VA. I found a smaller Fluer de lis just a few days ago, it might have come from a military uniform. HH, Mike

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Actaully, I think it is a blessing in disguise!! How better to simulate actuall target interpretation, than by digging for coins that you don't know the location of???

If you knew where they are, it would be too easy.

OP
OP
AmericanCoinHunting

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardy ha ha.......Money don't grow on trees silly.........It groes in the ground, it doesn't get any bigger,, but it does grow deeper , and older he he he ........ I will just have to wait for better technology, If I live that long...

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think...when your granddaughter has children they will grow up to be detectorists, and be able to dig up grand dad's coins with their xray vision metal dectector !! They will laugh at the grandpa's 'high tech' $1000.00 dectectors that couldn't even find a silver coin at 7 or 8 inches!!

Have you tried a P.I. machine?

Seriously, metal detectors should be able to do the job in 2005....What will probably happen is that China will step in and produce killer technology and wipe out our MD industry. (If there was enough profit in it, they would have done this already).

OP
OP
AmericanCoinHunting

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chirper97 said:
Just think...when your granddaughter has children they will grow up to be detectorists, and be able to dig up grand dad's coins with their xray vision metal dectector !! They will laugh at the grandpa's 'high tech' $1000.00 dectectors that couldn't even find a silver coin at 7 or 8 inches!!

Seriously, metal detectors should be able to do the job in 2005....What will probably happen is that China will step in and produce killer technology and wipe out our MD industry. (If there was enough profit in it, they would have done this already).
By the time my great grandkids start making their finds......Instead of the saying..........darn just another Pull Tab
They will be saying ,darn, just another......Made in China......L.O.L. P.S. my grand daughter got a couple tatoo s when she was 18, One tatoo she thought about getting on her ankle was......."Made in China" but she went with a butterfly

J

Joe (Memphis)

NOW you tell me!!! I did the same thing, rows of P,N,D,Q, rings etc... from 2" out to 12" in 2" increments... I can find the first 2 colums, 2&4", but that is about it.... except for the coke can at a foot....
jt

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmmmm....my wife kind of smiles at me now as she watches me try to dig something OUT of the ground. Wonder what she would do if she saw me PLANTING a coin garden.

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
Find somone in your area experienced with a Whites DFX.....it will find them.

Good Luck,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread