What's new

My recent days with pottery sherds.

danasaur

Full Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2013
Messages
133
Reaction score
244
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alabama
Retry impressive haul in one day. The sherds have been washed and are about to be catalogued.
 

Attachments

  • image-2692393862.webp
    image-2692393862.webp
    49.7 KB · Views: 143
  • image-4117765184.webp
    image-4117765184.webp
    62 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0
So what period are you thinking dan? Mississippian
 
Yes! Also, some Late Woodland stuff.

You would really like the property I have permission to hunt. I have found 2 pieces of stone bowls and all periods of pottery.
 
Rock, I love the pottery as much as the points.
 
Rock, I love the pottery as much as the points.

Its like little pieces of ancient art. What would you call this one and yes its pottery.
 

Attachments

  • 100_4195.webp
    100_4195.webp
    173.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_4196.webp
    100_4196.webp
    200.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 100_4197.webp
    100_4197.webp
    111.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_4198.webp
    100_4198.webp
    119.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Rock, that looks like a "pottery head" to me. Maybe anthropomorphic? Need photo from other side.
 
Found this small section of a rim today. Hard to see but it has decorations on it that looks to be lines.
 

Attachments

  • SDC10838.webp
    SDC10838.webp
    715.7 KB · Views: 94
Brushed pottery. Probably done with a twig. Very interesting. What state and area? Looks like Walnut Creek Brushed.
 
Retry impressive haul in one day. The sherds have been washed and are about to be catalogued.

Nice pottery. It can really tell a story. I was cleaning out my carport for my truck as storms are on the way and found a large screen sifter I have filled with pottery to.. do something with. I can not help but pick them up. Please chime in your knowledge is appreciated !
HH
TnMtns
 
Pottery is less glamorous, but more important to me when identifying a site. Is the site a camp, a village or a larger town. Hoe much was it occupied. What
 
Sorry, hit send before editing. Many of the sites in our area have multiple occupations. Makes it a challenge, especially if has been plowed for a long time.
 
Brushed pottery. Probably done with a twig. Very interesting. What state and area? Looks like Walnut Creek Brushed.

Found in a creek, N GA. Glad you like it. Im saving it for my pottery frame. I like the rim sections
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom