My third GW vest button is the charm ... soon to join the rest, shown here.

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my current collection of GW inauguration buttons. I found my third, small (vest?) "Long Live the President" button last month. It's soon to be lightly restored. I'll add a photo of that latest button in here soon. I'll also try to get a shot of the backs of these pictured buttons.

The best of the lot is the larger silver button, a rare variety with nearly 80 percent of the silver plating still showing. That's astounding for a dug button. The back of that button took the wear, losing all the plating and the shaft. My latest small button was pretty ragged when first dug. I'm hoping it restores well.

It's all how the button falls. The side facing down can shine, despite over 200 years of being buried. The up-facing side takes all the chemical leachates trickling down through the soil. Disturbingly, never has so much acid rained down. There's now something of an urgency to find great buttons like these before the ever-increasing presence of nitric and sulfuric acids does its dirty work -- be it to coins or buttons. Of course, the likes of fertilizers, dumped household chemicals and road runoff are far from kind to buried objects.

By the by, I sold my first-ever dug GW button, a large one that was very "environmentally damaged." The offer was quite right. I found it near (but not illegally in) Batsto, NJ.

While GW buttons aren't as rare as once thought, they remain among the most valuable buttons on the planet. What's more, the growing number of GW specimens -- many being found by detectorists in NJ -- have created an increasingly discerning collectorship. Many aficionados are hellbent on upgrading their collections or collecting as many varieties as possible. In the long run, this should keep the demand very healthy.

While I'm holding on to my GW buttons, I believe the best way to sell any dug or otherwise discovered GW buttons is through higher end auctions, like Stacks. Sure, the auctioneer takes a piece of the pie but the most informed and deep-pocketed buyers bid in such auctions. I also prefer when a buyer gets a close up look at just what is being sold. The likes of eBay adds so many long-distance variables that the price often reflects bidders' uncertainties.

aainaugbuttons.jpg

Upvote 8

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gosh, severe jealous streak here!!! totally want to find one. many congratulations to you.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Sweet finds! I Love finding buttons as much as coins. Finding one GW button is my goal but you really lucked out finding more than one. Congrats

Funkman

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the education and the well-written post. I am fascinated by these GW innaugural buttons, and would be thrilled to find one some day. After seeing so many GWs posted over the last few years, many of us suspected they might be less rare than we initially thought. Sounds like you confirmed that. Congrats on your great success in finding them, and good luck adding to your collection!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"many being found by detectorists in NJ" ::)

Wondering when it is going to be my turn ?

Man yo are the GW magnet here in Jersey

That picture is an inspiration , never knew there were that many out there .

:icon_scratch: member since 2009 where have you been hiding ? tigerbeetle

dawg :skullflag:

Last edited:

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's just to sweet!!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful buttons, I'm jealous! Probably very hard to find over here in Detroit. Great buttons HH.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are really great buttons and you are totally correct with using a place like Stack's to sell them. I've been an auction client of Stack's for more than 25 years and they know what they are doing. I've seen numerous inaugural buttons sold by Stack's and they give them great promotion. They are also the best in my opinion for early copper cents and colonials.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread