What's new

my valentines day gift

jasonroxbury

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 27, 2008
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
My girlfriend got this for me for valentines day she said its a 1649 Saxon coin.(that somebody made into a necklace) She got it from her uncle who is an antique dealer. He was pretty sure it was authantic what do you guys think ?
 

Attachments

  • FRONT.webp
    FRONT.webp
    77.8 KB · Views: 870
  • back.webp
    back.webp
    87.8 KB · Views: 854
savant365 said:
I think your girlfriend thinks its real so you better just go along with it. :thumbsup:

:D Good advise! :D

.........great present!
 
I'm certainly not an expert with coins, so I agree with just going along with it. Regardless to it's authenticity, her love for you is what matters and that is the true treasure!

Congrats! I'd wear that sucker everyday!
 
OH YEAH... I so happy with it ... now i need to get her something nice ... she has really raised the stakes with this
 
BE HAPPY ABOUT GETTING IT. REAL ARE FAKE. GOOD LUCK.
 
If you can hold it in your hands it's real....
 
savant365 said:
I think your girlfriend thinks its real so you better just go along with it. :thumbsup:

Best advice I've see in a looooong time! :wink:


(Plus it sounds like you've got a winner of a girlfriend. :thumbsup: :icon_queen:)
 
The design appears to be that of a 1649 Saxony silver thaler, all right.

It's a really big coin— bigger than a silver dollar. The 1/2 thaler of the same series is similar, but does not have quite the same detailing on the shield.

Undamaged, such a coin would be worth $125-175, F-VF.

My guess is, it's probably genuine— but if it wasn't, it is now! :wink:
 
I looked it up in my book and could not find the exact coin but, several coins were close. Johann Georg had many coins minted during his long reign. He was an Elector and not a King, which is a prince belonging to the Holy Roman Empire however, King like in a way. As PBK pointed out, it is a Thaler (pronounced Taller), full Thalers are not marked but fractions of Thalers were marked on the coins such as 2/3 Thaler. The American word Dollar also comes from the word Thaler. Here is a link on Johann Georg. HH, Mike
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_George_I,_Elector_of_Saxony
 
savant365 said:
I think your girlfriend thinks its real so you better just go along with it. :thumbsup:

I agree with the above.

but you asked the question & by looking at a picture of it, I'm going to say I have my doubt's. Enough said.
 
Nice going, PBK.
 
CRUSADER said:
savant365 said:
I think your girlfriend thinks its real so you better just go along with it. :thumbsup:

I agree with the above.

but you asked the question & by looking at a picture of it, I'm going to say I have my doubt's. Enough said.
It is from Germany, Sachsen or Saxon! Not English Saxon. It does appear to be in most excellent condition. HH, Mike
 
Remeber she's the gift giver so give her something special as well.. ;D Nice piece of art!!!
 
nice looking weather it is real or not..
 
Bavaria Mike said:
CRUSADER said:
savant365 said:
I think your girlfriend thinks its real so you better just go along with it. :thumbsup:

I agree with the above.

but you asked the question & by looking at a picture of it, I'm going to say I have my doubt's. Enough said.
It is from Germany, Sachsen or Saxon! Not English Saxon. It does appear to be in most excellent condition. HH, Mike

I never thought it was Anglo-Saxon.
 
Best advice I've see in a looooong time! :wink:

That depends on whether he's planning to marry her or not. ;D ;D ;D

Ray
 
Where are the flowers ;D

Nice gesture for sure. A treasure indeed.
 
find a jewelry store that has those jane seymour open heart pendant necklaces.. she would love one of those .. you would be well rewarded im sure
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom